News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 17, 2017, 12:54:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 4346440 times)

Dr. F.

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #25725 on: September 08, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »
Telemarketers! I've been on the Do Not Call list since 2003, but lately, I've been getting up to a dozen telemarketing calls a day, all from different numbers in similar geographic areas (mostly NJ, NY, MA, CA, and the occasional NV or AZ). 75% of the time, they show up as "Scam Likely" on my phone, but sometimes they don't.  I never answer, they rarely leave voicemails, but when they do, it's about a clean energy scam. Googling the numbers often shows them as being from the same company, but since said company apparently has infinite numbers, many are "new" enough to be unidentifiable.

I block each one, but it seems like the equivalent of cutting off a Hydra's head, where each blocked number spawns three new numbers. Although who knows how many calls I'd get if I didn't block them! But it's driving me insane. And I don't even know what to report. If I filed a report on every number that calls me, I'd be on the donotcall.gov site an hour a day.

Er, how do you set up your phone to get something to show up as "scam likely" if that's how you do it?

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #25726 on: September 08, 2017, 04:32:08 PM »
Yes; enquiring minds what to know!

KimberlyM

« Reply #25727 on: September 08, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
The phone companies figured out a lot of them are scams, I didn't do anything to my phone but I get the occasional call that shows as "scam". 

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #25728 on: September 08, 2017, 06:38:42 PM »
Telemarketers! I've been on the Do Not Call list since 2003, but lately, I've been getting up to a dozen telemarketing calls a day, all from different numbers in similar geographic areas (mostly NJ, NY, MA, CA, and the occasional NV or AZ). 75% of the time, they show up as "Scam Likely" on my phone, but sometimes they don't.  I never answer, they rarely leave voicemails, but when they do, it's about a clean energy scam. Googling the numbers often shows them as being from the same company, but since said company apparently has infinite numbers, many are "new" enough to be unidentifiable.

I block each one, but it seems like the equivalent of cutting off a Hydra's head, where each blocked number spawns three new numbers. Although who knows how many calls I'd get if I didn't block them! But it's driving me insane. And I don't even know what to report. If I filed a report on every number that calls me, I'd be on the donotcall.gov site an hour a day.

Er, how do you set up your phone to get something to show up as "scam likely" if that's how you do it?

That specific message is an option from T-Mobile. They keep a list, and T-Mobile customers can choose between blocking those calls entirely, letting them through but labeled "Scam Likely" instead of the [claimed] originating phone number, or not using that list at all.

So, every so often a call appears on my phone as "Scam Likely" and I let it go to voicemail. If one of those callers ever leaves a message, I'll listen to it--but I won't be talked into anything, or interrupted when I'm doing something important like talking to a friend or petting the cat.

[Some other cell phone carriers may also be offering this, but I don't think they all are. And I don't know if it's available outside the U.S.]
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #25729 on: September 08, 2017, 06:55:11 PM »
I get a similar message from Verizon on some of my calls...as the "Caller ID" on the screen.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Sebastienne

« Reply #25730 on: September 08, 2017, 08:56:51 PM »

That specific message is an option from T-Mobile. They keep a list, and T-Mobile customers can choose between blocking those calls entirely, letting them through but labeled "Scam Likely" instead of the [claimed] originating phone number, or not using that list at all.

So, every so often a call appears on my phone as "Scam Likely" and I let it go to voicemail. If one of those callers ever leaves a message, I'll listen to it--but I won't be talked into anything, or interrupted when I'm doing something important like talking to a friend or petting the cat.

[Some other cell phone carriers may also be offering this, but I don't think they all are. And I don't know if it's available outside the U.S.]

Yes, I have T-Mobile. I haven't set up the option to block the calls entirely yet, but I think that's next. Unfortunately, calls from my alma mater also show up as "Scam Likely," but those calls are, in 99% of cases, asking for money. It's that 1% that's kept me from blocking everything; last year, I was invited to give a talk there!

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #25731 on: September 08, 2017, 09:07:06 PM »
AT&T has an app that helps mark calls as scams, it's gotten mixed reviews so I haven't tried to install it.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #25732 on: September 08, 2017, 09:19:11 PM »
I use Google Fi as my provider and it marks many calls as "Suspected Spam [Scam?] Caller." Since it still shows the number, too, I can decide whether to answer. It hasn't been wrong yet when marking something as spam, but it has missed quite a few. I usually don't answer any number I don't recognize.

lilfox

« Reply #25733 on: September 08, 2017, 09:46:14 PM »
I use Google Fi as my provider and it marks many calls as "Suspected Spam [Scam?] Caller." Since it still shows the number, too, I can decide whether to answer. It hasn't been wrong yet when marking something as spam, but it has missed quite a few. I usually don't answer any number I don't recognize.

That's my provider too but I'm still waiting for it to catch up.  So far none of my calls have been listed as suspected spam, and I guarantee more than half are.  I get a lot of calls from my area code plus exchange so the first six numbers are the same as for my phone number, but the one time I picked up it's an automated scam call (they never leave voicemails).  Too many to block, so I only bother blocking the numbers that repeat.  And yeah, it annoys me when I get a missed call notice and it's one of these scam numbers, particularly since I'm on the job market.

rose red

« Reply #25734 on: September 09, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »
Went to the grocery store deli to buy a bucket of honey wings, but found spicy wings after I got home. Spicy wings are ok so it's not worth the return trip, but they're not as moist and juicy as honey wings so it's a bit disappointing and annoying.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #25735 on: September 09, 2017, 02:47:35 PM »
Went to the grocery store deli to buy a bucket of honey wings, but found spicy wings after I got home. Spicy wings are ok so it's not worth the return trip, but they're not as moist and juicy as honey wings so it's a bit disappointing and annoying.

My drive me up the wall thing is, apparently, I can't have spicy foods anymore. They're making me gassy and bloated and upsetting my stomach.

o_gal

« Reply #25736 on: September 11, 2017, 06:13:48 AM »

Spectrum does it - we have a landline with them because it makes our internet package dirt cheap, and we'll get the scam notice sometimes.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #25737 on: September 16, 2017, 03:33:51 PM »
In one of the videos after the London tube explosion, someone was trying to get close to the still smoldering explosive for pictures.  :o A cop had to tell them to move away.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #25738 on: September 18, 2017, 07:57:06 AM »
I'm sure I've posted before about my friend who is newish-ly into weight loss, and will try any gimmick once. She very frequently sends me links to the new ones she finds (have I mentioned that I'm fat, but have never once asked for weight loss advice?) The most irritating thing though is that, since having my gall bladder removed, I have something very similar to IBS. I have a long list of trigger foods, and a fairly detailed idea of things that will make my stomach upset, which include eating ( :P ), not eating/waiting too long between meals, and not getting enough substantial food at meals (and also getting too much substantial food  ::) ) Yeah, it's super fun.

So it's extra galling (see what I did there?) to get hokey diet ideas that include eating only one food for an extended period of time, drinking/supplementing with lots of shakes, or not eating for 12 hours straight. Because life isn't annoying enough already.

Diane, I'm totally with you. Also, things that happen in adulthood that one assumed as a youth would go away--like zits, or minor allergies. I saw a meme yesterday that said something like, "You know what's super fun? Getting zits at the same time as new gray hairs." True that.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #25739 on: September 18, 2017, 08:32:08 AM »
I'm sure I've posted before about my friend who is newish-ly into weight loss, and will try any gimmick once. She very frequently sends me links to the new ones she finds (have I mentioned that I'm fat, but have never once asked for weight loss advice?) The most irritating thing though is that, since having my gall bladder removed, I have something very similar to IBS. I have a long list of trigger foods, and a fairly detailed idea of things that will make my stomach upset, which include eating ( :P ), not eating/waiting too long between meals, and not getting enough substantial food at meals (and also getting too much substantial food  ::) ) Yeah, it's super fun.

So it's extra galling (see what I did there?) to get hokey diet ideas that include eating only one food for an extended period of time, drinking/supplementing with lots of shakes, or not eating for 12 hours straight. Because life isn't annoying enough already.

Diane, I'm totally with you. Also, things that happen in adulthood that one assumed as a youth would go away--like zits, or minor allergies. I saw a meme yesterday that said something like, "You know what's super fun? Getting zits at the same time as new gray hairs." True that.

I get lots of juice cleanse advice from friends, and I politely refuse. If they insist, I remind them that I am a diabetic, and that would cause me to have major issues. I'm doing perfectly fine on my own.

i GU
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien