News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 02:17:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 4357618 times)

GreenHall

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #25755 on: September 21, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »
Pumpkin Spice.

I know people like it, and if it had not become this big 'thing' I would just accept it and move on.  But pumpkin spice is taking over the world.  There are pumpkin spice Cheerios on my supermarket flyer this week.   

Are there other flavors that do this, and this one just annoys me because pumpkin pie is a no-go for me anyway?

I'm the same way. I did have to laugh last year when i finally realized that pumpkin spice isn't pumpkin at all, but the spices used to flavor pumpkin pie etc. I don't like it. At all. In any way, shape or form, and dread fall because of the uproar about it and how wonderful it is.

That being said, I have a basic pumpkin bread recipe i love. and make frequently. But i enjoy the pumpkin flavor more than the spices, of which there are few.

You just blew my mind. I hate pumpkin so never tried anything labeled "pumpkin spice" thinking it taste like pumpkin.

I read somewhere that the hot new flavor this Fall is maple but all I still see is pumpkin.

Starbucks has a new Maple Pecan drink they're releasing tomorrow.
THAT sounds promising :)

I think part of my issue with pumpkin spice is that I tend to think a lot of things overuse spice (cinnamon especially) in ways that do not do them justice.  A little spice is lovely.  I think most of the 'pumpkin' spices I like in cider, in moderation (ehh nutmeg may be my other issue with pumpkin spice, come to think of it...)

licorice is even more of a love it or hate it flavor I think, and I'm not on the love it side. If someone contaminated my chocolate with licorice I would be upset. Again, a little goes a long way.  Aveda made (makes) a 'tea' that is mint and licorice and it is terrible to me.  I think part of that is the sweet flavor of licorice vs not having the mouthfeel (thickness) of actual sugar.

And an edit- Starbucks seems to have peppermint most of the year.  Last October they were 1) out and 2) tried to claim it's 'seasonal'.  I'd gotten it at the same location a week before ::)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:33:21 PM by GreenHall »

gramma dishes

« Reply #25756 on: September 21, 2017, 03:28:05 PM »

...   Starbucks seems to have peppermint most of the year.  Last October they were 1) out and 2) tried to claim it's 'seasonal'.  I'd gotten it at the same location a week before ::)

"It's 'seasonal' when we run out of it and have no more in stock."   ;)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #25757 on: September 22, 2017, 06:12:37 AM »
Dunkin Donuts put out sample cups of their Maple Pecan iced coffee yesterday and it was delicious.  I will probably order that the next time I go in there.  That means I have to try Starbucks' version as well.

I love pumpkin spice but the whole Pumpkin Everything stuff that happens this time of year is a bit overdone.

Just like going into Dollar Tree yesterday and seeing the staff put the Christmas stuff on the racks.  It's not even Halloween yet!

Mustard

« Reply #25758 on: September 22, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »
Dunkin Donuts put out sample cups of their Maple Pecan iced coffee yesterday and it was delicious.  I will probably order that the next time I go in there.  That means I have to try Starbucks' version as well.

I love pumpkin spice but the whole Pumpkin Everything stuff that happens this time of year is a bit overdone.

Just like going into Dollar Tree yesterday and seeing the staff put the Christmas stuff on the racks.  It's not even Halloween yet!

I was in a garden centre a couple of weeks ago where a large part was sectioned off as they were setting out the Christmas stuff.  They got their retaliation in first; there were printed notices pinned to the screens: 'Oh for goodness sake!' 'The kids have only just gone back to school' 'It's not Hallowe'en yet!' 'It should be illegal' and, my favourite 'Wake me when it's over'.

rose red

« Reply #25759 on: September 22, 2017, 07:17:40 PM »
Retailers need to order seasonal items really early due to shipping, customs clearance, etc. Since they receive it, they probably figure they might as well put it out instead of wasting space in the infamous back room. A lot of stores have a seasonal aisle which may be empty otherwise.

There are also people who spend months decorating so if those people buy a lot of stock, the retailers have time to order more.

That's my theory anyway ;D :P
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:20:52 PM by rose red »

AngelicGamer

« Reply #25760 on: September 22, 2017, 08:16:31 PM »
Retailers need to order seasonal items really early due to shipping, customs clearance, etc. Since they receive it, they probably figure they might as well put it out instead of wasting space in the infamous back room. A lot of stores have a seasonal aisle which may be empty otherwise.

There are also people who spend months decorating so if those people buy a lot of stock, the retailers have time to order more.

Which is why I don't mind it in the craft stores. I mind it in every other store. ;D

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #25761 on: September 22, 2017, 08:44:48 PM »

Connected to which, it may not be a little thing, but it drives me up the wall that the seasons for some clothing end before I'd want to wear the clothing: I can get a swimsuit in March more easily than in July, and good luck replacing a winter coat in January. At least I live in the northeast, where I have a chance of realizing I need a new coat while they're still available by mail-order.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

vintagegal

« Reply #25762 on: September 23, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »
from my grocery circular this week - pumpkin hummus. UM, yeah, no thanks.

chigger

« Reply #25763 on: September 23, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »
Oh, that's just gross!

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #25764 on: September 23, 2017, 10:45:14 PM »
Might not be terrible as long as it's not pumpkin *spice* hummus.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #25765 on: September 24, 2017, 06:36:58 AM »
I have noticed that with Christmas items out earlier each year, that if I need any lights for my tree or home, I had better write a note on what I need the year before for the following year, because by the time I actually decorate my home, (usually the weekend of Thanksgiving), the lights are all gone in the stores!   or the stores do not have enough of the kind of lights I need.

I am thinking of changing my tree this year, so I need to get my lights as soon as I can or they will not be in stock.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #25766 on: September 24, 2017, 07:24:48 AM »

Yeah, I saw that in the stores, It can't be much different than roasted tomato hummus or any other "flavored" hummus.

vintagegal

« Reply #25767 on: September 24, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »
Squirrels having a bacchanal in my walls. Old house with weird room behind fireplace that is inaccessible except through the window. That is where the noises are coming from. Fireplace is shut up with a heavy metal plate and will stay that way as long as there are critters around.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #25768 on: September 24, 2017, 11:56:26 AM »

Yeah, I saw that in the stores, It can't be much different than roasted tomato hummus or any other "flavored" hummus.

Yeah. I've seen carrot hummus for ages. It's actually really, really good.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

GardenGal

« Reply #25769 on: September 24, 2017, 01:08:45 PM »

Yeah. I've seen carrot hummus for ages. It's actually really, really good.

At our local farmers market you can get beet hummus, which is not only yummy but gorgeous!
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai