News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 18, 2017, 03:34:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 4355657 times)

oogyda

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #25770 on: September 24, 2017, 03:25:27 PM »
I'm staying at YDD's home for a couple of weeks and have noticed the US flag on a flagpole at the neighbor's across the street. 

While something positive can be said for the fact that they choose to fly the flag, it's somewhat negated by their obvious disrespect for the Flag Code.  Besides the fact that it is very torn and ragged (and should be replaced), it's also left out continuously, with no lighting. 

I don't plan on saying anything to them about it. We've exchanged pleasantries, but I don't live here....not my circus.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:35:44 PM by oogyda »
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #25771 on: September 24, 2017, 06:28:03 PM »
I'm staying at YDD's home for a couple of weeks and have noticed the US flag on a flagpole at the neighbor's across the street. 

While something positive can be said for the fact that they choose to fly the flag, it's somewhat negated by their obvious disrespect for the Flag Code.  Besides the fact that it is very torn and ragged (and should be replaced), it's also left out continuously, with no lighting. 

I don't plan on saying anything to them about it. We've exchanged pleasantries, but I don't live here....not my circus.

How do you know it's obvious?  Not everyone knows there IS a flag code.  Not only that but it only exists as guidance for civilians and civilian organizations. The only ones that have to follow the law (if there is one) are government entities.   

I get you don't plan on doing anything about it because you don't live there, but you don't have to jump to the worst possible conclusion either.

oogyda

« Reply #25772 on: September 24, 2017, 07:39:13 PM »

How do you know it's obvious?  Not everyone knows there IS a flag code.  Not only that but it only exists as guidance for civilians and civilian organizations. The only ones that have to follow the law (if there is one) are government entities.   

I get you don't plan on doing anything about it because you don't live there, but you don't have to jump to the worst possible conclusion either.

Oh, good gracious.  I misspoke.  I didn't jump to the conclusion that they were deliberately disrespecting the Flag Code.  But, ignorance can end up being disrespectful.

I do know that it is not "law", but I have a hard time figuring out why someone would make a choice to display the Flag (or anything of meaning) without finding out if there is a proper way to do it. 

That, too is part of what drives me up a wall. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

POF

« Reply #25773 on: September 24, 2017, 08:05:38 PM »
Why does my husband cheap lunch meat ???? Why why why ??? It's only the 2 of us and we buy 1/2 lb ham and 1/2 lb turkey so the cost difference is 2 or 3 dollars AT MOST.  We were crazy busy so had sandwiches tonight. Although I had specifically said buy the black forest ham - he bought another type that was on sale. It was full of gristle. 

Also why do plastic ice coffee cups need to be put in the sink and not the trash. 

These two things make me crazy. 

yes I have brought it up and I get a dense look and a shrug and a I dunno.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #25774 on: September 24, 2017, 09:00:11 PM »
The fact that the rest of Star Trek: Discovery's season is going to only be available if you want to pay either 6 or 10 bucks a month. Depends on if you mind commercials or not.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #25775 on: September 24, 2017, 09:45:44 PM »
Why does my husband cheap lunch meat ???? Why why why ??? It's only the 2 of us and we buy 1/2 lb ham and 1/2 lb turkey so the cost difference is 2 or 3 dollars AT MOST.  We were crazy busy so had sandwiches tonight. Although I had specifically said buy the black forest ham - he bought another type that was on sale. It was full of gristle. 

Also why do plastic ice coffee cups need to be put in the sink and not the trash. 

These two things make me crazy. 

yes I have brought it up and I get a dense look and a shrug and a I dunno.

This is my grandpa.  He really doesn't see or taste the difference between a poor quality cut of lunchmeat and a good quality cut.  Of course he's 84 and I'm...er...not, but still. 

We have to tell him the brand to NOT get, and he does ok.  Luckily our local store has taken to offering the mid-range brand, which is still good, as pre-sliced packages so he'll get that rather than the really cheap stuff. 

gramma dishes

« Reply #25776 on: September 25, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »

Not sure where you live, but plastic coffee cups here are recyclable and we put them in the recycle bin rather than the trash bin.

Hillia

« Reply #25777 on: September 25, 2017, 09:18:06 AM »

Not sure where you live, but plastic coffee cups here are recyclable and we put them in the recycle bin rather than the trash bin.

I think the point is that her husband press them in the sink for her to wash, I guess, instead of putting them in the trash

gramma dishes

« Reply #25778 on: September 25, 2017, 10:04:34 AM »

I think the point is that her husband press them in the sink for her to wash, I guess, instead of putting them in the trash

Probably shouldn't admit this, but we actually do wash and reuse some kinds of plastic 'barware'.   :-\

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #25779 on: September 25, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »
I find that the "red cups" are sturdy enough to survive the top rack of the dishwasher.

Plastic cups that shrink out of shape on the top rack of the dishwasher are recycled without guilt.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Luci

« Reply #25780 on: September 25, 2017, 11:52:56 AM »

Probably shouldn't admit this, but we actually do wash and reuse some kinds of plastic 'barware'.   :-\
I find that the "red cups" are sturdy enough to survive the top rack of the dishwasher.

Plastic cups that shrink out of shape on the top rack of the dishwasher are recycled without guilt.

In the last two towns we have lived in, #6 plasrice are not recyclable. We do reuse them sometimes after washing.

We always rinse or wash our trash and recycling from food containers anyway. I don't like the smell of dirty 6 day old trash  and recycling and it attracts vermin. It only takes a couple of ounces of water to rinse a beverage container and bees love stale beer.

malfoyfan13

« Reply #25781 on: September 25, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »
I'm with you, AngelicGamer...I refuse to pay for CBS, I don't care how great their new show is.  It really ticks me off that they're starting this stupid "we're just like HBO/Hulu/Netflix" trend that is sure to spread to other traditionally "free" channels. So we'll eventually have to pay for everything we want to watch.  And I don't watch anything else on CBS except Survivor, so I'd be paying for ONE show.  (Also do not care about "no commercials" - that's why I have Tivo.)  I won't even pay for HBO for 3 months to watch GoT, I'd rather wait for the danged DVD to come to Netflix.  So annoying. 

Gladly

« Reply #25782 on: September 26, 2017, 03:47:35 AM »
It's only a little thing, but it did make me grind my teeth this morning.  Yesterday I put my lunch (sandwich box) in the fridge at work.  At lunch time there was a plastic supermarket bag on top of it.  No problem.  I picked up the bag removed my box and put the bag down again. The bag was coloured, so I couldn't see what was inside it, but I could tell it contained more than one item. I didn't slam it down, just picked it up and put it on the shelf.  This morning there is a sarcastic note in the kitchen thanking "the person who spilled my soup all over the inside of my bag yesterday".  I'm sorry, but if you have something spillable, it's not a good idea to put it in an opaque plastic bag on top of someone else's food.  However, I'm not going to get into a pa note war - life's too short!

pattycake

« Reply #25783 on: September 26, 2017, 07:32:59 AM »
It's only a little thing, but it did make me grind my teeth this morning.  Yesterday I put my lunch (sandwich box) in the fridge at work.  At lunch time there was a plastic supermarket bag on top of it.  No problem.  I picked up the bag removed my box and put the bag down again. The bag was coloured, so I couldn't see what was inside it, but I could tell it contained more than one item. I didn't slam it down, just picked it up and put it on the shelf.  This morning there is a sarcastic note in the kitchen thanking "the person who spilled my soup all over the inside of my bag yesterday".  I'm sorry, but if you have something spillable, it's not a good idea to put it in an opaque plastic bag on top of someone else's food.  However, I'm not going to get into a pa note war - life's too short!

And, why was it even spillable? There's tons of non-spill containers out there!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #25784 on: September 26, 2017, 08:57:19 AM »
BeagleBoy has two chef jackets for work so they have to be washed every other day (they have more on order they just haven't arrived yet).  This morning I threw them in the washer and then in the dryer.  When I removed them I discovered he has left 3 ink pens in the sleeve pocket of one of the jackets.

Now the jacket has 6 black splotches on it.  I am washing it again with a lot of OxyClean and hoping for the best.

Can someone please tell my why a 26-year-old trained chef can't be bothered to check his pockets.