News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 07:11:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 4646650 times)

Chickadee

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #25980 on: November 15, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »
When somebody thinks that because they had trouble/a bad experience with someone, everyone else should too so they need to proselytize about the evils of it.
You're so much happier having gotten rid of Facebook? Great! I'm happy for you! If it was bringing you more bad than good then deleting it was the right choice! However, I haven't ever really had these major dramas or angst because of it, and find it really useful for group chatting people for get togethers and so on, so I will continue to use mine.

You just got into some new financial program that advises getting rid of all credit cards? Cool, I genuinely hope that works out for you! But I just use mine for online purchases, pay the balance off every month and haven't had an issue, so continuing to tell me that "one day" I will find myself in tons of debt from having one is just annoying.

Or along the same lines, when someone doesn't like, agree with, or have any interest in something that you do. And has to go on forever about how what they like, agree with or are interested in is so much better, and explain, again, in great detail why.

I have Amazon Prime. I love it, and happily pay the annual fee for it, as I don't always have time to run to the store, and am kind of lazy. I'm also good at finding great deals. I also love that i can buy something, many times an impulse buy, and get free shipping vs. ordering a minimum amount to get it.

My friend hates it. She thinks its a ripoff because you get free shipping just by buying the minimum amount and it usually arrives in 2 days anyway. And they don't always have the best price. But not always. And she has Netflix, so she doesn't need the streaming video of Amazon Prime, and oh, Netflix has much better stuff. I'm ok with paying a bit more if need be, but to her, that extra 1.18 is a crime when you can just get it somewhere else!

Um ok. No one is forcing you to get it, and whether or not you like it is fine by me. But quit going on about how horrible it is, because I happen to think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, as evidenced by the 59 orders I've placed in 2017.

A little off topic, but I saw a meme the other day that describes me to a tee.

"If I was a Transformer my name would be Amazon Prime"  ;D

MyFamily

« Reply #25981 on: November 15, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »
When somebody thinks that because they had trouble/a bad experience with someone, everyone else should too so they need to proselytize about the evils of it.
You're so much happier having gotten rid of Facebook? Great! I'm happy for you! If it was bringing you more bad than good then deleting it was the right choice! However, I haven't ever really had these major dramas or angst because of it, and find it really useful for group chatting people for get togethers and so on, so I will continue to use mine.

You just got into some new financial program that advises getting rid of all credit cards? Cool, I genuinely hope that works out for you! But I just use mine for online purchases, pay the balance off every month and haven't had an issue, so continuing to tell me that "one day" I will find myself in tons of debt from having one is just annoying.

Or along the same lines, when someone doesn't like, agree with, or have any interest in something that you do. And has to go on forever about how what they like, agree with or are interested in is so much better, and explain, again, in great detail why.

I have Amazon Prime. I love it, and happily pay the annual fee for it, as I don't always have time to run to the store, and am kind of lazy. I'm also good at finding great deals. I also love that i can buy something, many times an impulse buy, and get free shipping vs. ordering a minimum amount to get it.

My friend hates it. She thinks its a ripoff because you get free shipping just by buying the minimum amount and it usually arrives in 2 days anyway. And they don't always have the best price. But not always. And she has Netflix, so she doesn't need the streaming video of Amazon Prime, and oh, Netflix has much better stuff. I'm ok with paying a bit more if need be, but to her, that extra 1.18 is a crime when you can just get it somewhere else!

Um ok. No one is forcing you to get it, and whether or not you like it is fine by me. But quit going on about how horrible it is, because I happen to think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, as evidenced by the 59 orders I've placed in 2017.

A little off topic, but I saw a meme the other day that describes me to a tee.

"If I was a Transformer my name would be Amazon Prime"  ;D
The one that describes me is "I want to be a Pintrest Mom, but I'm really an Amazon Prime Mom".  And I'll see your 59 order placed in 2017 and raise it to 77 orders in the last 6 months and 123 in 2017. 
"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

MyFamily

« Reply #25982 on: November 15, 2017, 04:11:46 PM »
I came to this thread late and have slowly been making my way through it.  So here goes:
My co-worker who emails me in all caps.  I know that she is just lazy and doesn't like to use the shift key, but I'd rather she send me something in all lower-case than in something yelling at me.  Even her simplest emails put me on edge because I feel like she is yelling at me. 
"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Cleargleam

« Reply #25983 on: November 15, 2017, 05:31:45 PM »
I'm not in Operations or Project Management, but when big boss says "I want this for early-mid January and for early-mid February", I start doing the math.   (He is attending two conferences and wants to show off a thing at both of them.  I *think* the February one is the more important.  It will still be tight, and January will pretty much require using what we have now instead of the revision which was requested today.

"This" requires a 5-6 week (250 man hours) lead for step 1.

Step 2 will take 6-10 days, if everything is in order when step one is completed.

It's already November 15.  We cannot complete step 1 before end of year.  Step 2 will take us to mid-January. 

Which leaves no time for testing and verification. 

And a request to expedite the 5-6 week lead comes in the context of end of year holidays and vacations. 

But nobody cares about *my* having done the math.  *sigh*

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #25984 on: November 16, 2017, 06:38:05 PM »
Having the drains back up again...this is like the fifth time in less than two years & VorGuy wants to be the hero for cleaning up the clog *again* instead of being the hero and paying for replacing the dratted drains instead so that they don't back up again for (hopefully) a decade or two. 

The first time he did it - he was a hero...but not if the same thing keeps happening...get rid of that dratted dragon, George, or you don't get to be a saint!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #25985 on: November 18, 2017, 05:41:41 PM »
I have a severely disabled friend. I understand her situation is extremely unfortunate and beyond her control. However, I'm just over her begging everyone for money. Every suggestion for community assistance or federal based assistance is shot down. She got angry and hostile when, after posting her plight (and ftr, it was NOT exaggerated), several friends called local authorities including CPS (for adults w/disabilities), the local police to do a welfare check, meals on wheels, and a few churches to deliver food staples. If you don't want people to care, then don't post your suffering of FB, don't beg for money, or for people to buy stuff off of your amazon wish list/publix online shopping cart. Most importantly, don't be nasty to the people trying to help you and then get mad when they decide they've had enough.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #25986 on: November 19, 2017, 07:53:11 AM »
It sounds to me like your friend doesn't like losing her audience when they do the right thing and call social services to help her.  It's like the actual assistance is secondary to the guests at her pity party.

vintagegal

« Reply #25987 on: November 19, 2017, 03:08:13 PM »
People who stand in the doorway of a busy room having a conversation, when there is an empty room with comfy chairs right next door. Seriously, I was carrying things in and out and did the "Excuse me" thing at least 3 times before they stopped blocking the only doorway.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #25988 on: November 19, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a case of having no tact or just thinking the way other people do things is wrong because it's not the way that person does it.

I visited some friends from high school that I haven't seen in years. The one friend just had a baby a couple months ago. She made a big show of taking pictures of her baby doing baby things, and then haughtily said, "But of course I won't put any of them on Facebook, because nobody wants to see a million pictures of peoples' babies."

Well, I do put a lot of pictures of my kid on Facebook--we don't live super close to our families, and my 92 year old grandma likes seeing all the pictures. And my second job involves social media, so it's hard to unplug anyway. And if she doesn't like seeing pictures of MY kid, she's happy to unfollow or unfriend me.

She later made a remark about how fun it was to follow my dog on Facebook (yes, he has his own page, by request--he has 36 likes, lol) and added, "But, of course, I actually signed up for THAT." (Which is what leads me to believe she was trying to make a point about the number of pictures I post, not that it was a "she doesn't know her audience" remark.) I mean, come on. I didn't tell HER she wasn't putting enough pictures on Facebook  ::)

mmswm

« Reply #25989 on: November 19, 2017, 04:08:09 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a case of having no tact or just thinking the way other people do things is wrong because it's not the way that person does it.

I visited some friends from high school that I haven't seen in years. The one friend just had a baby a couple months ago. She made a big show of taking pictures of her baby doing baby things, and then haughtily said, "But of course I won't put any of them on Facebook, because nobody wants to see a million pictures of peoples' babies."

Well, I do put a lot of pictures of my kid on Facebook--we don't live super close to our families, and my 92 year old grandma likes seeing all the pictures. And my second job involves social media, so it's hard to unplug anyway. And if she doesn't like seeing pictures of MY kid, she's happy to unfollow or unfriend me.

She later made a remark about how fun it was to follow my dog on Facebook (yes, he has his own page, by request--he has 36 likes, lol) and added, "But, of course, I actually signed up for THAT." (Which is what leads me to believe she was trying to make a point about the number of pictures I post, not that it was a "she doesn't know her audience" remark.) I mean, come on. I didn't tell HER she wasn't putting enough pictures on Facebook  ::)

Yeah, she can get over it.  That kind of stuff drives me batty.  I only half jokingly tell people if they don't like parrots, don't friend me, because 95% of what I post is about my birds.  But for real, if somebody doesn't like that, they can unfollow or unfriend.  Same with your friend.  If she doesn't want to see a zillion pictures of your kid, she knows where the unfollow button is.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

lilfox

« Reply #25990 on: November 19, 2017, 04:54:36 PM »
Well meaning grandparents.  Im grateful to have functional, loving grandparents to my kids, we are lucky that way, I know.

However, it bugs me when the grandparents decide they want one or both grandkids to have X experience as a gift, paid for by them but completely organized and carried out by me, or DH and me.  These are not simple asks, these are Significant investments in my/our time that frankly I would rather spend on other things.  It comes across like, I want this to happen for your child, make it so.  I already do plenty for them of my own volition, I dont need another chore.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #25991 on: November 19, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »

I'm not on Facebook, but... isn't it considered to be social media?

siamesecat2965

« Reply #25992 on: November 20, 2017, 11:04:49 AM »
My downstairs neighbors who are moving out. While they have been awesome, they keep closing both the outside door and their apt door, actually slamming every time they come in and out. So inside door, slam, outside door, slam, and then vice versa when they come back in.

When in fact, where we are is very safe, and they could most definitely leave at least the inside door open, and the outside ajar, each time they go out, so i don't have to listen to the slamming every 2-3 minutes.

mmswm

« Reply #25993 on: November 20, 2017, 08:24:47 PM »
People who look for a reason to be offended.  I made a statement of the form "Historically, X is a Y of social era A.  Before that, L, M, N, O, P."  Somebody comes back all offended because "I'm an M and I'm not an A." Uhhhh, how did you get that out of what I said.  And the nature of M is different now than prior to social era A, and to ignore that fact requires willfully ignoring that.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #25994 on: November 21, 2017, 09:06:38 AM »
Joibsworths obsessed with paperwork, particularly people who are obstructive for no good reason.

A nonprofit I work with wanted to upgrade to taking cards through their bank. According to their provider before they can, they have to detail their full anti-money laundering policy: how they do a full criminal background check on all those potentially criminal donors donating one-off 5's or less through paypal. They'd been struggling with this for a week.

When I phoned the tax office to ask, there was this stunned silence on the end of the phone...No, the group does not fall under any of the categories of business covered by anti-money-laundering rules.

I signed them up with a more sensible competitor. It took 5 minutes.