News:

• February 22, 2018, 07:17:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5019656 times)

RainyDays

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #26295 on: January 23, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »
Can you wrap a rubber band around it to make it harder to lift the lever?

This is likely my short term solution. I've had tons of cats, but none this precocious. It's adorable in its own way, but at the same time, it's a little nerve wracking.

I don't know if you have this already, but once I got a water fountain for my cats, they stopped stalking my faucets. Apparently many (most?) cats prefer moving water (something about being able to see it better and some kind of instinct about not trusting still water).

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #26296 on: January 23, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »

This is likely my short term solution. I've had tons of cats, but none this precocious. It's adorable in its own way, but at the same time, it's a little nerve wracking.

I don't know if you have this already, but once I got a water fountain for my cats, they stopped stalking my faucets. Apparently many (most?) cats prefer moving water (something about being able to see it better and some kind of instinct about not trusting still water).

My cat was certainly a lot less of a jerk about water when I got him a fountain. (He used to dump his water bowl out all the time).  I bought the Catit fountain on amazon, it was a lot cheaper than the other kinds of fountains I've seen in pet stores, and we've been happy with it.

Sebastienne

« Reply #26297 on: January 23, 2018, 04:03:59 PM »
This could go in the grammar/spelling thread, but it's a tiny thing that's been driving me crazy lately, especially when watching cooking shows where they should know better (Chopped, I'm looking at you).

If you go to a pastry shop and buy a lovely French meringue/ganache sandwich, it's called a macaron. Not a macaroon. A macaroon is a coconut (or, in some older variations) cookie.

They're different things!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #26298 on: January 23, 2018, 06:55:27 PM »

We got them this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057LAH6E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But I think it's the whole thing of "I figured out how to do Thing!" that has her so entranced.

TaurusGirl

« Reply #26299 on: January 23, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »
This has probably been mentioned before, but unnecessary abbreviations in this forum.

I don't mean the usual DH/DW etc, those are fairly standard across the wide interwebz.

I mean when you're reading a thread about basket weaving, and then a few posts in someone says something like "I've been doing BW for years, and now I'm taking UWBW". We don't have character limits here, and it sets my teeth on edge for some reason. We don't have to abbreviate everything!   ::) (rolling my eyes at myself)

Luci

« Reply #26300 on: January 23, 2018, 10:11:48 PM »
This has probably been mentioned before, but unnecessary abbreviations in this forum.

I don't mean the usual DH/DW etc, those are fairly standard across the wide interwebz.

I mean when you're reading a thread about basket weaving, and then a few posts in someone says something like "I've been doing BW for years, and now I'm taking UWBW". We don't have character limits here, and it sets my teeth on edge for some reason. We don't have to abbreviate everything!   ::) (rolling my eyes at myself)

In my age group, PT means physical therapy. Then people write about PT as part time and then start writing about PTO as paid time off. Ive come up with some humorous  misunderstandings in my head because of that. Then abbreviating hints like PNW, Pacific Northwest and something for New Orleans that I dont remember. (NOLA?) Ive had to look a lot of stuff up!

Thanks for mentioning that.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #26301 on: January 23, 2018, 11:55:08 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I also dislike abbreviations in text messages as well. If you're pressed for time, just wait until later to text me.
I especially hate it when I write a zillion word text and I get back K.

kckgirl

« Reply #26302 on: January 24, 2018, 07:00:55 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I also dislike abbreviations in text messages as well. If you're pressed for time, just wait until later to text me.

One of my friends uses text abbreviations in her Facebook posts. I finally stopped reading them.
Maryland

Chez Miriam

« Reply #26303 on: January 24, 2018, 07:13:01 AM »

We got them this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057LAH6E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But I think it's the whole thing of "I figured out how to do Thing!" that has her so entranced.

You may need to watch her...  I was just reading this in the 'things you should not laugh at' thread:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=78436.msg3510526#msg3510526
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Emmy

« Reply #26304 on: January 24, 2018, 08:34:56 AM »

Me too, they could at least write the O.

GreenHall

« Reply #26305 on: January 24, 2018, 11:52:14 AM »

Me too, they could at least write the O.
depending on the situation I might prefer "K" to nothing.  K would mean (to me) you got the message and agree/dont disagree with the proposed information.  Nothing could mean you agree, or could mean you don't check your texts that often.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #26306 on: January 24, 2018, 12:26:31 PM »
What drives me up the wall is someone expecting zillion word texts from me.  I am a tortured texter and probably make as many mistakes when texting as correctly texted words. I hate it.  It takes me forever to type a long text, and is a poor use of my time.  It the subject takes that long to describe, it needs an email or a telephone conversation. Texts should be for brief communication IMO.

Shalamar

« Reply #26307 on: January 24, 2018, 12:36:19 PM »
My company is very fond of its acronyms and abbreviations.     Recently, I got an email about a customer in Calgary, and the email said something like the issue is in BC.    I thought they meant British Columbia, and I was confused, since Calgary is in Alberta.   They said No, BC stands for Billing Centre.   News to me.

gmatoy

« Reply #26308 on: January 24, 2018, 07:55:01 PM »
I have a cold. This is day 8. I am tired of being sick. The thing driving me up the wall is that, when I cough, my head feels like I was hit with sledge hammer from the inside. Ouch.

Smulkin

« Reply #26309 on: January 25, 2018, 07:03:32 AM »
I mean when you're reading a thread about basket weaving, and then a few posts in someone says something like "I've been doing BW for years, and now I'm taking UWBW".

Similarly, not *every short word* is an acronym or initialism! 'Xmas' is not an acronym. 'Etsy' and 'eBay' are not initials. They don't all need to be capitalised.