News:

• April 24, 2018, 10:40:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5363866 times)

RevMaxx

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #26580 on: March 19, 2018, 10:08:37 PM »
[[editing to hopefuly make this clear]]

We have a circular driveway that is 580 feet from end to end.

Facing our house,, on the mailbox side ((left) we had to block the entrance 3 yrs ago with wooden horses and "no trespassing" signs.

It is higher in elevation than the 'right' side by 8-9 feet..

We blocked  left  (and are inconvenienced ourselves ) because Penndot repaved big mounds of mcAdam and there is a pitch of eight-plus  inches from road that drops into   driveway. we have a truck that can go in and out with no problem.

then the tiny random  versa went to use driveway for a road uturn. poor girl got stuck teetering on the brink of mcadam! she was horrified and embarrased  thinking she is trespassing but DHubs and neighbors jimmied her car out and up,, no reall damage.

Right side driveway  entrance is LEVEL . no one uses it. (((you are welcome to uturn here , its jusst a driveway!)))

so in 3 years , there have been over 10 small cars who turn into leftside drivewayand crash into wood horses,  get stuck teetering and expect us to fix it//tow their cars out! Much screaming ensues and they are also special snowflakes.

We watch and vidio them for laughs. DHUbs calls it our new  cheap thrills.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:10:49 PM by RevMaxx »
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #26581 on: March 20, 2018, 07:25:08 AM »
Wow! RevMaxx that is crazy.

Our neighborhood is apparently a cut through for a lot of people, not sure why, because the street I live on is not the most direct route through. The worst so far has been one of the women from down the street, and I am glad that so far, she and I have not both been driving on the street at the same time.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #26582 on: March 20, 2018, 11:51:39 AM »
I still remember living on a dead end residential road (well, there were two roads in the neighborhood - one cul de sac with a roundabout at the end that hooked onto the spur of road that dead ended in a stand of trees - but with just a hint of a curve and a bit of a climb, then a drop - so drivers apparently assumed that the road went around the stand of trees.  It didn't.

I still remember a speeding car that came through one evening and raced down to the stand of trees, someone stopped in a scream of brakes, backed up in a hurry, and turned around to go speeding up the spur & turned up the cul de sac...I lost sight of them, but heard them speeding around the flat round grass & flower bed area, and then they came speeding back downhill to make another turn out the entry to the neighborhood (signs on both streets indicated "dead end road/no exit").  And away they sped...up a hill to a T intersection where they could got left or right into another residential area with a low speed limit.  I always wondered what the heck they were thinking.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Hillia

« Reply #26583 on: March 21, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »
Direct mailings that use stationery/fonts to mislead you into thinking something is  personal mail,like a greeting card, instead of another piece of junk mail to be tossed.  Yesterday my husband got a red envelope that was about the size of a card. It looked like it had been hand addressed with a black fine line marker, and had a regular street address for a return address.  Inside was s "printout" of an email directing an employee of a local car dealership to contact MrHillia (mentioned by name) about trading in his 2007 Toyota.  Attached to the email was a post it note addressing him by name, with a supposedly hand written message asking him to call the employee who received the "email" to discuss trading his vehicle.

Guess who we will never trade our vehicles with?

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #26584 on: March 21, 2018, 05:48:52 PM »
Direct mailings that use stationery/fonts to mislead you into thinking something is  personal mail,like a greeting card, instead of another piece of junk mail to be tossed.  Yesterday my husband got a red envelope that was about the size of a card. It looked like it had been hand addressed with a black fine line marker, and had a regular street address for a return address.  Inside was s "printout" of an email directing an employee of a local car dealership to contact MrHillia (mentioned by name) about trading in his 2007 Toyota.  Attached to the email was a post it note addressing him by name, with a supposedly hand written message asking him to call the employee who received the "email" to discuss trading his vehicle.

I haven't seen one in a long time, but I used to occasionally get junk mail that would look like someone ripped a page out of a magazine and attached a sticky note that said, "I thought of you when I saw this!"  usually a weight loss program.  I was able to tell my MIL that is was junk mail, not a friend of hers, when she got one.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Luci

« Reply #26585 on: March 21, 2018, 06:13:14 PM »

I haven't seen one in a long time, but I used to occasionally get junk mail that would look like someone ripped a page out of a magazine and attached a sticky note that said, "I thought of you when I saw this!"  usually a weight loss program.  I was able to tell my MIL that is was junk mail, not a friend of hers, when she got one.

The cruelest ones are when a friend's email gets hacked and I get ads for weight loss. Iíve also received an request from a cousin for money - donít remember how much. She could by us over several times, so it was pretty funny.

guihong

« Reply #26586 on: March 22, 2018, 08:32:12 PM »

Or even worse, when the envelope looks like something dire, or a check ("pay to the order of" is just visible).  When opened, it looks like a check, but it's a credit card offer  >:(

Susiqzer

« Reply #26587 on: March 23, 2018, 12:05:00 PM »

Or even worse, when the envelope looks like something dire, or a check ("pay to the order of" is just visible).  When opened, it looks like a check, but it's a credit card offer  >:(

Right after I graduated from college, I received a series of offers to consolidate my student loans. Each of them came in an envelope marked "OVERDUE" or "THIRD REQUEST" or other nonsense that made it look like I hadn't paid a bill.

Why would I give that kind of company my business... no thanks!

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #26588 on: March 23, 2018, 12:38:08 PM »
Websites that use white as a background for everything, including items for sale that are white, or white form fields where you can't tell where to fill in the form.  Aggravating, and easily solvable with a border of some sort or a change of background to a slightly different neutral color that's not white.

I do most of my shopping online, so I encounter this more than most people, I guess.

Aleko

« Reply #26589 on: March 23, 2018, 12:43:42 PM »
Websites that use white as a background for everything, including items for sale that are white, or white form fields where you can't tell where to fill in the form

Similarly, black-and-white foreign language films where the subtitles are simply in white, rather than on a greyscale band, so that random chunks of text are invisible.

rose red

« Reply #26590 on: March 23, 2018, 01:19:56 PM »
Websites that use white as a background for everything, including items for sale that are white, or white form fields where you can't tell where to fill in the form

Similarly, black-and-white foreign language films where the subtitles are simply in white, rather than on a greyscale band, so that random chunks of text are invisible.

Reminding me of TV logos that cover up subtitles ::)

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #26591 on: March 24, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »
Websites that use white as a background for everything, including items for sale that are white, or white form fields where you can't tell where to fill in the form.  Aggravating, and easily solvable with a border of some sort or a change of background to a slightly different neutral color that's not white.

I do most of my shopping online, so I encounter this more than most people, I guess.

In defence (not really), some of that may be that the boxes are ACTUALLY a very pale grey/orange/pink/whatever which the designers on their nice big high def screens can see juuuuuuuust fine and what do you mean not everyone sees things that way?!

(My day job is building websites to other peopleís designs and this is an issue that crops up time and again. I do try to point out when stuff isnít user friendly, but as the programmer, my opinion doesnít usually count for much.)

Luci

« Reply #26592 on: March 24, 2018, 04:23:56 PM »
Right in the middle of a clickbait article on my iPad I was reading today I received a notice from Amazon that Iíd won something and as usual I could not back out of it or X out of it. The first time I closed the tab and started over. The second time I followed their contest and used my screen name and they found my address, birthday, and cell phone number. I ended up at a "just a few simple survey questions" and backed out all the way to the opening screen. Again, I couldnít get out of it.

I donít get these nearly as often as I did, but, wow!, is it frustrating. I donít know whether to be angry at Amazon, Yahoo!, or the marketing company.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:20:26 AM by Luci »

pattycake

« Reply #26593 on: March 25, 2018, 08:33:24 AM »
Right in the middle of a clickbait article on my iPad I was reading today I received a notice from Amazon that Iíd won something and as usual I could back out of it or X out of it. The first time I closed the tab and started over. The second time I followed their contest and used my screen name and they found my address, birthday, and cell phone number. I ended up at a "just a few simple survey questions" and backed out al the way to the opening screen. Again, I couldnít get out of it.

I donít get these nearly as often as I did, but, wow!, is it frustrating. I donít know whether to be angry at Amazon, Yahoo!, or the marketing company.

All three. Amazon and Yahoo allow the marketing company to use them to do it.

Luci

« Reply #26594 on: March 25, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »
Right in the middle of a clickbait article on my iPad I was reading today I received a notice from Amazon that Iíd won something and as usual I could not back out of it or X out of it. The first time I closed the tab and started over. The second time I followed their contest and used my screen name and they found my address, birthday, and cell phone number. I ended up at a "just a few simple survey questions" and backed out all the way to the opening screen. Again, I couldnít get out of it.

All three. Amazon and Yahoo allow the marketing company to use them to do it.

I corrected my typos. Thank you for understanding.