Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1751286 times)

Betelnut

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9240 on: September 26, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »
Why, even after years of instruction and passive aggressive reminders, can't my husband and teenage son figure out how to work ice cube trays?  Just once I'd like to get home from work, go to make myself a beverage and find a full ice cube bin and full trays.  They aren't that hard...really!
Maybe they forgot the recipe?  It's here: http://www.food.com/recipe/ice-cubes-420398 Post it on the door to the freezer -- and be sure to read the comments!

Okay, now I need to read all the 400 and some odd comments.  That is too, too funny!  (But the recipe is SO useful!  :D)
Native Texan, Marylander currently

missanpan

« Reply #9241 on: September 26, 2012, 03:39:51 PM »
When people mutter.  DH does it constantly and it drives me absolutely round the bend.  I have to make him repeat everything 3 times. And I only hear him when he shouts.  So I ask him kindly not to shout as it alarms DS and he goes back to mumbling under his breath again.  :o

I hear you.  It's gotten to the point where I'm starting to wonder if I'm the one with a hearing problem or if it could be that ALL of my family members mutter.  Sometimes when I'm really exasperated I pull a Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp version) and say "Mumbler" when they mutter.

It's really annoying when I ask my eldest to repeat himself and he only repeats part of his sentence.

"muttermuttermutter oatmeal cookies?"
"You muttered, what did you say?"
"Oatmeal cookies."
"What about them?"
"You know, the ones in the kitchen?"
"And what about them?"
"The oatmeal cookies!!" Gaaaaah!!!!

I've started telling them that if they don't make themselves heard, they're not getting what they ask for.

Try this:

"Oatmeal cookies."
"What about them?"
"And what about them?"
"The oatmeal cookies!!"
"It would be nice for you to learn how to make oatmeal cookies.  I have a cookbook for you..."
"WHAT?  That's not what I said..."
"And I couldn't understand what you said.  Clarify, or I get to make up my own conversations."

LOL! Love that one! :):)

Okay, these are hilarious. My older sister not only mumbles, she mumbles a comment facing AWAY from you.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #9242 on: September 26, 2012, 04:17:23 PM »
Why, even after years of instruction and passive aggressive reminders, can't my husband and teenage son figure out how to work ice cube trays?  Just once I'd like to get home from work, go to make myself a beverage and find a full ice cube bin and full trays.  They aren't that hard...really!
Maybe they forgot the recipe?  It's here: http://www.food.com/recipe/ice-cubes-420398 Post it on the door to the freezer -- and be sure to read the comments!

Throughout the years, I have been known to write down and tape the "recipe" for ice cubes on the freezer door, when my family has seemingly forgotten how to prepare them.    ;)  (Thankfully, they have taken it with the humor I intended, not as a PA move.  I try reeaaallly hard not to do PA.)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

diesel_darlin

« Reply #9243 on: September 26, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »
When people mutter.  DH does it constantly and it drives me absolutely round the bend.  I have to make him repeat everything 3 times. And I only hear him when he shouts.  So I ask him kindly not to shout as it alarms DS and he goes back to mumbling under his breath again.  :o

I hear you.  It's gotten to the point where I'm starting to wonder if I'm the one with a hearing problem or if it could be that ALL of my family members mutter.  Sometimes when I'm really exasperated I pull a Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp version) and say "Mumbler" when they mutter.

It's really annoying when I ask my eldest to repeat himself and he only repeats part of his sentence.

"Oatmeal cookies."
"What about them?"
"And what about them?"

I've started telling them that if they don't make themselves heard, they're not getting what they ask for.

This is my hubby to a T!!! Instead of repeating what he said, he repeats what he is talking about. GRRRRRR.
And if I ask him something, he automatically says "huh". I just wait a few seconds and he will answer the question. Why say "huh" if you heard me?  >:(

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #9244 on: September 26, 2012, 05:34:48 PM »
when I go for new glasses and almost fall off my chair when they tell me the final cost! 

I just had that experience last week.  :-\
AND they messed up my prescription so I can't use my glasses when I work at the computer. Going back tomorrow, but I've got a suspicion that they're going to try to talk me into buying a second set of "computer glasses" instead of fixing the problem.

Oh that stinks. I do feel better though, having priced my lenses out online, and what I paid was actually less.  its the darn varilux progressives, super high index to make my coke bottle lenses thin enough carp that makes them so pricy.  but I did get some cute, very subtle, pink frames.  hehehehee

I went back in today...and they discovered that they'd put the wrong kind of lenses in my glasses. That explains everything! I should get the new, correct kind next week.

Hooray!
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9245 on: September 26, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »
Okay two of my favorite movies are the Princess Diaries movies with Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews.  But there's one thing that annoys me. Okay I know that Mia's look is not very princess like at first but she's so stinkin' adorable.

I just don't like those movie makeover scenes where they take the "ugly duckling" and make her glamorous.  At least they don't change Mia too much, physically but she really was pretty cute beforehand. 

Then again it's pretty darn hard to make Anne Hathaway unattractive.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #9246 on: September 26, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »

"Oatmeal cookies."
"What about them?"
"And what about them?"

This is my hubby to a T!!! Instead of repeating what he said, he repeats what he is talking about. GRRRRRR.
And if I ask him something, he automatically says "huh". I just wait a few seconds and he will answer the question. Why say "huh" if you heard me?  >:(

I've found it helps to say, "Speak more clearly, please," because the problem isn't the volume, usually - I can hear someone at sotto voce level if they are very careful to enunciate, speak a bit slowly, and say it front of me.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

marcel

« Reply #9247 on: September 26, 2012, 10:16:53 PM »
When people misuse the word "literally". As in "I am literally dying to do this." No. No you're not.  >:D
That reminds me of a stoy on another forum last week, which shows how the word literally has lost its meaning.

The person was talking to someone about how he was working out on an exercise bik, when a stray cat came, lied down, and watched him exercise. He said he told someone he literally put the cat to sleep.
The other person responded angry because he had euthanised a stray cat for no good reason.

However, thee is still no good reason to get upset about the incorrect use of the word literally:
http://xkcd.com/1108/
Wherever you go..... There you are.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #9248 on: September 26, 2012, 10:28:59 PM »
People backing out of things last minute.

My girl scout troop is going to an event this weekend.  We had 3 parents sign up with their daughters and an additional 3 girls sign up without parents.   It's been less than a month since we signed up, so not exactly forgettable.

Now I'm taking 5 girls by myself, and had to spend time trying to get the whole car pool thing worked out.

I wish I could say this was unusual, but it seems like every planned event is like this.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #9249 on: September 26, 2012, 10:32:59 PM »

"Oatmeal cookies."
"What about them?"
"And what about them?"

I've found it helps to say, "Speak more clearly, please," because the problem isn't the volume, usually - I can hear someone at sotto voce level if they are very careful to enunciate, speak a bit slowly, and say it front of me.

Exactly. Hubby is a very quiet talker, and he mumbles. He also likes to talk to me while he is turned away from me. I have asked him many many times to look at me while speaking, because I can hear him better.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9250 on: September 26, 2012, 10:36:45 PM »
When people misuse the word "literally". As in "I am literally dying to do this." No. No you're not.  >:D
That reminds me of a stoy on another forum last week, which shows how the word literally has lost its meaning.

The person was talking to someone about how he was working out on an exercise bik, when a stray cat came, lied down, and watched him exercise. He said he told someone he literally put the cat to sleep.
The other person responded angry because he had euthanised a stray cat for no good reason.

However, thee is still no good reason to get upset about the incorrect use of the word literally:
http://xkcd.com/1108/

XKCD, you know I love you bro, but if literally *isn't* taken literally, it has no reason to exist.  Literally isn't another word for "for seriously!", it has a specific meaning.  It's like the word "unique".  When people say "very unique"... that phrase has no meaning!  It's a binary state, something either is or is not unique.  Either there is only one of it or there is not!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9251 on: September 26, 2012, 10:43:03 PM »

"Oatmeal cookies."
"What about them?"
"And what about them?"

Ahh yes, enunciation, I've been trying to get this across to them because you're right, it really isn't volume so much as it is enunciation. Or sometimes it's a combination of both cause they will mumble quietly.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #9252 on: September 27, 2012, 05:18:55 AM »
The shoulder shrug and the "I donex't know" noise drives me loony. An ex used to do it.

Also people who use computer speak or text speak IRL. Oh em gee is not speaking English. Grrrr.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9253 on: September 27, 2012, 06:40:13 AM »
The shoulder shrug and the "I donex't know" noise drives me loony. An ex used to do it.

Also people who use computer speak or text speak IRL. Oh em gee is not speaking English. Grrrr.

Gah! Yes!  My eldest started on the Oh em gee thing and I shut that down quickly.  A cousin does this too and I'm half tempted, next time I see her, to ask if she has a character limit on her speech.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9254 on: September 27, 2012, 06:46:41 AM »

Gah! Yes!  My eldest started on the Oh em gee thing and I shut that down quickly.  A cousin does this too and I'm half tempted, next time I see her, to ask if she has a character limit on her speech.

Things like Oh Em Gee, I actually don't mind, since I tend to say things like "FYI" and "TMI" in real life too.

But when they start saying "LOL" is when I start getting stabby.