Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1752004 times)

Redsoil

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9465 on: October 14, 2012, 06:13:39 AM »
Oh, I'm with Allyson as well!  Had a patient the other day talking about various family difficulties (just chit-chat), who then  said "Oh, but of course, you would't know anything about that".  Apparently because I'm so much younger than she is, I can't possibly have had anything bad happen.

As it turns out, her main issue of elder care is something I've had a LOT more experience in (both hubby and I were change of life babies).  Both my parents, and parents-in-law are deceased, and for a number of years (from the age of 26) I dealt with their debilities, illnesses, transitions to hospice or nursing homes, and all that goes along with that, right through to managing funerals and dealing with wills.  One really should never assume!  I (nicely) gave her a brief run-down and said I could empathise with her situation, and it was certainly a difficult thing to deal with.  Hopefully, it may have opened her eyes a bit.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #9466 on: October 14, 2012, 06:16:35 AM »
One that's been getting to me lately. I have a lot of nature-inclined hippie friends, and that's fine. More power to them - I dabble in herbal medicine myself. But when they start spouting off against all scientific advances, except for the ones that seem to demand that mankind start shutting down industry?

If science is bad/evil/unreliable/should not be listened to when it produces medicine, GMO's, and nuclear power, then why is it good/holy/not to be questioned when man-caused global warming is the subject at hand?

Yeah I hate that too. It's funny when you're on a science forum and someone posts that all science is bad. You ask em how they think their computer has been invented and how it was been put together in the way it works today, only to get the reply back that that doesn't have anything to do with science. *bangs head* People have often no idea what science actually is (a method) and that it is something that has been performed since...forever. They seem to have this idea of evil geniusses in labcoats who speak with a bad german/russian accent.
Maybe give them the book 'bad science' from Ben Goldacre? It does a very good job at explaining what scientific research is about, why certain things are unscientific but also how certain branches of science fail at it too.

I laugh the hardest at people who complain on the Internet about how much money is spent by CERN.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #9467 on: October 14, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »
Dh's computer keeps having this error message coming up telling me there's an error with the program and I need to install a new version.

Problem? They don't give any indication as to which program it is.  ::)

Computer-related, but not the same thing: I know my laptop is getting on 4 years old, which means it should be crapping out. However, I don't think getting the Blue Screen of Death 3 times in 2 months is normal at all. It makes me panic and want to throw the thing against the wall every time it freezes up.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking about asking for a new laptop for grad school, because I don't want to be dealing with a bad computer then either. The thing that drives me up the wall about that is the laptop I want, while expensive, would be really appropriate for my field of study. If it's too pricey for my parents, I'll understand. But apparently I'm not allowed to have one because they don't know how to use this type of computer.

Yes, my parents told me I couldn't have a Mac, not because of the price (which I completely understand; I don't want them selling good china for it or something), but because they don't know how to use it. Uh, what?

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

mw8242

« Reply #9468 on: October 14, 2012, 11:05:51 AM »
That no one can make plans. Everyone wants to be spontaneous and yet are shocked with there are no seats left at a bar/restaurant or we have to wait. I am all for spontaneous when it doesn't really matter but when I want to see the game just showing up won't work! And when I go by myself everyone shows up and is annoyed there aren't seats - I'm not your cruise director. If you don't care to show up early b/c you would rather sleep you stand.

Adelaide

« Reply #9469 on: October 14, 2012, 11:26:14 AM »
That no one can make plans. Everyone wants to be spontaneous and yet are shocked with there are no seats left at a bar/restaurant or we have to wait. I am all for spontaneous when it doesn't really matter but when I want to see the game just showing up won't work! And when I go by myself everyone shows up and is annoyed there aren't seats - I'm not your cruise director. If you don't care to show up early b/c you would rather sleep you stand.

I completely agree. In my old group I was the only one who bothered to make reservations. Even when I wasn't the person doing the organizing I'd have to remind my friends that we can't just waltz into P.F. Chang's at 7 p.m. on a Friday without waiting for an hour. And if we went somewhere with a dress code that was a little more than "the jeans and smelly t-shirt you put on when you rolled out of bed" it made things awkward, especially if I was the only one who bothered to comply.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9470 on: October 14, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
That my favorite supermarket in the whole world is 33+ miles from me, and my friend, who just moved, is 3.2 miles from it.  I introduced her to it today, and I'm not sure if she wants to thank me, or hurt me :) - for those of you from NY/NY etc. its Wegmans.  I haven't been in a very long while, and I was again reminded of how awesome it is.  There is a slight light at the end of the tunnel; an agreement was signed to build one in an area ON my way home from work, and close enough to go for lunch.  I just hope all the necessary approvals go through - although its not really a residential area, so I'm hoping that helps.

Adelaide

« Reply #9471 on: October 14, 2012, 05:52:49 PM »
That my favorite supermarket in the whole world is 33+ miles from me, and my friend, who just moved, is 3.2 miles from it.  I introduced her to it today, and I'm not sure if she wants to thank me, or hurt me :) - for those of you from NY/NY etc. its Wegmans.  I haven't been in a very long while, and I was again reminded of how awesome it is.  There is a slight light at the end of the tunnel; an agreement was signed to build one in an area ON my way home from work, and close enough to go for lunch.  I just hope all the necessary approvals go through - although its not really a residential area, so I'm hoping that helps.

Wegmans is amazing and it's easy to get addicted to shopping there. Unfortunately, I never want to go to Wal-Mart anymore even though it's cheaper. Wegmans just has so much more in the way of different/awesome food.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9472 on: October 14, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »

Wegmans is amazing and it's easy to get addicted to shopping there. Unfortunately, I never want to go to Wal-Mart anymore even though it's cheaper. Wegmans just has so much more in the way of different/awesome food.

it is awesome!  Just wish it were a tad closer.  20 miles vs. 33 would be a whole different ball of wax!  although I may try and start going every now and again.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #9473 on: October 14, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »
People who sing in public. I'm not talking about street/subway/etc. performers others have mentioned, though that would drive me nuts also. I'm talking about regular people who suddenly burst into song in line at the grocery store, in the waiting room at the doctor's office, at the drugstore, and the like. These folks are not humming quietly to themselves, either: they are loud.

I keep running into these people. I do not want to hear them sing.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Darcy

« Reply #9474 on: October 14, 2012, 08:30:50 PM »
People who sing in public. I'm not talking about street/subway/etc. performers others have mentioned, though that would drive me nuts also. I'm talking about regular people who suddenly burst into song in line at the grocery store, in the waiting room at the doctor's office, at the drugstore, and the like. These folks are not humming quietly to themselves, either: they are loud.

Especially when they're off tune. :-\

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9475 on: October 14, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »

I can honestly say that I have never encountered that! Good grief!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9476 on: October 14, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »

I can honestly say that I have never encountered that! Good grief!
I can't count the number of times we've gone to a concert or something and had to shush DH.  "Dear, these people came to hear the performers, not you." ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9477 on: October 15, 2012, 07:20:18 AM »
Sadly, having to shush people at concerts is becoming a more common problem.  Unfortunately, doing so at classical venues often gets the shusher as much of a censure as the shushee.

Redsoil

« Reply #9478 on: October 15, 2012, 08:22:18 AM »
Hubby is a good bloke, but I really wish if I ask him to do a job he'd actually complete it! 

The fridge had a funny smell, and I've not long had surgery, so asked him if he'd clean it.  Which he did.  However, he just DUMPED things back in (literally - stuff was upside down and everywhere!) and didn't bother to put things back in the freezer.  Grrr.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9479 on: October 15, 2012, 08:49:34 AM »

I see you've encountered the manager at my PT job.  While she has a lovely voice, and had taken some opera lessons, she is VERY dramatic, and sings along to all songs on the store soundtrack.  All the time.  It's bad the enough the music is horrendus, but thne to have to listen to someone singing along constantly, UGH.