Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1566190 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9480 on: October 15, 2012, 09:15:27 AM »
Along the same vein, when at a concert the band turns the mic to the crowd in a "now you sing!" gesture.  Uh-uh.  No.  If I'm paying multiple-limb prices for a ticket, I jolly well want to hear YOU sing the darn song!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9481 on: October 15, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »
Along the same vein, when at a concert the band turns the mic to the crowd in a "now you sing!" gesture.  Uh-uh.  No.  If I'm paying multiple-limb prices for a ticket, I jolly well want to hear YOU sing the darn song!

Exponential ditto to that.  I just don't get this.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #9482 on: October 15, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »
That my favorite supermarket in the whole world is 33+ miles from me, and my friend, who just moved, is 3.2 miles from it.  I introduced her to it today, and I'm not sure if she wants to thank me, or hurt me :) - for those of you from NY/NY etc. its Wegmans.  I haven't been in a very long while, and I was again reminded of how awesome it is.  There is a slight light at the end of the tunnel; an agreement was signed to build one in an area ON my way home from work, and close enough to go for lunch.  I just hope all the necessary approvals go through - although its not really a residential area, so I'm hoping that helps.

I'm having a lunch today that I picked up yesterday at Trader Joe's--which is 100 miles from here. It's delicious and I would totally eat it every day.  :( I can only dream about Wegman's...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9483 on: October 15, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
That my favorite supermarket in the whole world is 33+ miles from me, and my friend, who just moved, is 3.2 miles from it.  I introduced her to it today, and I'm not sure if she wants to thank me, or hurt me :) - for those of you from NY/NY etc. its Wegmans.  I haven't been in a very long while, and I was again reminded of how awesome it is.  There is a slight light at the end of the tunnel; an agreement was signed to build one in an area ON my way home from work, and close enough to go for lunch.  I just hope all the necessary approvals go through - although its not really a residential area, so I'm hoping that helps.

I'm having a lunch today that I picked up yesterday at Trader Joe's--which is 100 miles from here. It's delicious and I would totally eat it every day.  :( I can only dream about Wegman's...

Oh. I am sorry about that :) - And I complain my Trader Joe's is not too far from me; about 6 miles or so from work, but in the opposite direction from home, and getting back on the highway to go home can be a bit of a pain with traffic.  I'll keep my fingers crossed they open one near you!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9484 on: October 15, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
My darling DH.  I love him to pieces, but he does drive me batty sometimes...this is one of them.

He has some paperwork he needs to make updates on and turn in several months down the line.  I asked him if he would like me to put it with mine.  He basically told me I was treating him like a child and he was a grownup and could keep track of it no problem.   ::)  I bit my tongue and didn't say anything to the contrary.

He asked me to make a notation on his list...NO paperwork to be found.  I called him to find out where he put it.  He tells me it is on the computer desk, or maybe in the living room, maybe on the dining room table.  It has disappeared. 

Maybe having to fill the whole thing out again will help him keep track of it.  All I know is for certain is, it's not going to be my problem.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9485 on: October 15, 2012, 06:09:33 PM »
When people assume that if I'm reading in public, I don't really want to be doing that, and try to strike up extended conversations with me.  The best so far was the lady yesterday who asked me "Are you reading...a book?" and when I replied yes, said, "Oh!" in this very shocked, disgusted tone.  She then immediately said, "you don't really want to be doing that, do you?", as though the idea of actually reading for pleasure was totally anathema to her.  I'm pretty sure I drove her up the wall when I looked up, briefly said, "Oh no, I love reading" and went back to my book immediately.  :P

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #9486 on: October 15, 2012, 06:31:18 PM »

Oh. I am sorry about that :) - And I complain my Trader Joe's is not too far from me; about 6 miles or so from work, but in the opposite direction from home, and getting back on the highway to go home can be a bit of a pain with traffic.  I'll keep my fingers crossed they open one near you!

My husband finds my obsession with "fancy" grocery stores endearing. Or something  :P

PeterM

« Reply #9487 on: October 15, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »
When people assume that if I'm reading in public, I don't really want to be doing that, and try to strike up extended conversations with me. 

As best I can tell, this far too common attitude results from two possible mindsets.

1) People who want to amuse or occupy themselves when they have nothing to do, and think the world owes them a conversational partner.

2) People who honestly believe conversing with them is far more interesting than anything anyone else could be occupying their time with, so they're doing you a favor by monopolizing your time and attention.

My wife and I walked past a father/son team of #2s at Costco several times today, and each time they were monopolizing the attention of an employee for far longer than necessary.

The best so far was the lady yesterday who asked me "Are you reading...a book?" and when I replied yes, said, "Oh!" in this very shocked, disgusted tone.  She then immediately said, "you don't really want to be doing that, do you?", as though the idea of actually reading for pleasure was totally anathema to her.  I'm pretty sure I drove her up the wall when I looked up, briefly said, "Oh no, I love reading" and went back to my book immediately.  :P

In a completely opposite but remarkably similar situation, I had a patron come up to the desk at my library, gesture to the rows of adult fiction hardcovers and ask, "Where are your books?"

Me: "I'm sorry? That's the adult fiction. What are you looking for?"

Her: "Books. I'm looking for books! I don't even know what these are!"

After a fair bit of back and forth, and several repetitions of " I don't know what these are!" I determined that apparently only The Classics (tm) and non-fiction count as actual books. I told her that our non-fiction was in the other room, and looked up several of The Classics (tm) that she mentioned. All our copies were either checked out or in storage with 80+% of our books. I did tell her that every single book she was interested in was available for free online from a variety of sources, but that was of course not acceptable.

She and her son then checked out twelve DVDs and five video games and went on their merry way.

PeterM

« Reply #9488 on: October 15, 2012, 06:56:56 PM »
Another extremely annoying thing I've been meaning to post for awhile now - Radio stations that constantly interrupt the music to tell you that you're listening to X minutes/hours of uninterrupted music. The ones that say "X hours with no commercials" are at least technically correct, though still annoying. But most of them seem to go with "uninterrupted," and they tend to interrupt between every single song.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9489 on: October 15, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
When people assume that if I'm reading in public, I don't really want to be doing that, and try to strike up extended conversations with me.  The best so far was the lady yesterday who asked me "Are you reading...a book?" and when I replied yes, said, "Oh!" in this very shocked, disgusted tone.  She then immediately said, "you don't really want to be doing that, do you?", as though the idea of actually reading for pleasure was totally anathema to her.  I'm pretty sure I drove her up the wall when I looked up, briefly said, "Oh no, I love reading" and went back to my book immediately.  :P

I was active on another forum where someone was bounced for self-centered behavior and being condescending to the rest of us.  One of his pet peeves was "joy readers."

My late brother -- who may have had an undiagnosed learning disability -- always used to insult me about reading for pleasure, saying I didn't know how to live.  Considering that he went through substance, never held a full-time job nor made a living wage, I can hardly be insulted.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #9490 on: October 16, 2012, 02:29:19 AM »
When I only have half a page left on my paper. Arg, I just want this thing out of my life and hair!

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #9491 on: October 16, 2012, 07:52:47 AM »
Last weekend I, my DH, 2 friends and my brother played a big boardgame, which ended up lasting 6-7 hours (arkham horror). It's a coop game. Now, when I have a stroke of bad luck, I will let out an annoyed sigh. I know it's 'just a boardgame', but yeah, when my character ends up getting stuck or having a big penalty, I am mildly annoyed. I am not dramatic, but i will occasionally mutter 'poopadities' or sigh. The thing is, I really try to hold back on that. When I was a child, I could actually get really dramatic about taking losses in games. I know a game is a game. But I do care about in-game success and winning. I can't turn it off.

But every time I let out the smallest sigh, or groan very softly, people will pipe up and say 'it's just a game!!' Well, thanks for telling me what I know. Trying to keep myself in check at all times takes quite some energy from me, so it annoys me when people crack down on me when something slips through.

But I can see their side of the issue as well. So I proposed that I'd just sit on the table, watch them playing the game and serve them drinks and food. No stress for me, no annoying stressed player for them. Great solution, right? But they keep pressuring me into playing. They do this because these games tend to get better as you add more players.

Next time I'm putting my foot down. They either keep silent when I display my small amount of annoyance, or I'm not playing.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #9492 on: October 16, 2012, 08:05:19 AM »

Next time I'm putting my foot down. They either keep silent when I display my small amount of annoyance, or I'm not playing.

Sounds fair enough to me.  I don't get why people feel the need to freak out at someone who shows a small amount of disappointment.  Your reactions to the game sound perfectly proportionate to me.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #9493 on: October 16, 2012, 08:29:07 AM »
Professional bloggers (or at least bloggers that make money from their blog) who can't spell. Once in a while somewhere in the body copy? Okay, we're all a bit rushed some days. But naming your blog something like "Sarah's Coupon's"???:'(

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #9494 on: October 16, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »
This has been happening to me with someone in my family, so it's extra top-of-mind today.

It drives me bonkers when someone is talking about something and keeps describing it even after you've acknowledged you know the location or person they're talking about.

Them: You know that store on the corner of Main and 1st?
Me: Yep.
Them: The one with the blue awning?
Me: Yep.  Joe's Drugs.
Them: It was a bookstore but now it's a drugstore?
me:  Yep.
Them: And it has the new parking lot?
Me: Yes.  I know which store you're talking about.
Them:  And Ethel got her prescription there?
Me:  YES!
Them:  What?  I just wanted to tell you they're going to be closed on Columbus Day.
Me:  ::dies::