Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1706167 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9495 on: October 16, 2012, 01:07:16 PM »
My beloved grandson #3 does something similar:

GS3: Grandma?
Me: Yes?
GS3: Can I tell you something?
Me: Yes, what?
GS3: Can I tell you something that happened at school?
Me: Yes, dear, what happened at school?
GS3: What I want to tell you about happened at school... and finally he gets to the point!

Today's annoyance: TV people who pronounce Halloween as "Holloween."  There is an A there, Martha, not an O!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #9496 on: October 16, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »
This was in a birthday card Mr. Sirius gave me.

"It's your birthday - take time to smell the roses.  Not if you're allergic, obviously.  I didn't know.  You're not, are you.  I know some people are.  I'd rather be allergic to roses than, like, cats, because how often are you really around roses?  Not a lot, unless maybe you're a florist.  But if you're allergic to roses and you become a florist, what were you thinking?"

It goes on for two more pages in similar vein, then eventually gets to the point.  It made me laugh. 

Anyway, conversations like that, where one person can't seem to get to the point.  I feel like yelling, "GET ON WITH IT!" 

turtleIScream

« Reply #9497 on: October 16, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »
Idiotic comments on online news stories (I know, I know, it goes with the territory, but still)

There was an article in our local paper about the airport raising its parking rates. Somebody commented that only idiots would choose to fly out of our local airport when other airports charge much less for their parking. Um, let's see. Covered parking 10 minutes from my house vs. surface parking an hour away. Even if he thinks I'm an idiot for paying for convenience, does he not realize that his suggestion would actually cost me more, once cost of gas and meals are factored in?

It also drives me up the wall that I took the time to calculate distances, cost per mile, and found the points at which I would see cost savings. Why do I really care that I'm smarter than an Internet commenter?

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #9498 on: October 16, 2012, 02:08:40 PM »
Hoping this isn't too political, but some of my friends are extremely proud that they possess a certain body part. So proud, that they keep on posting Facebook statuses, loudly discussing it with like-minded individuals in public places, and accusing anyone who has political disagreements with them of having designs upon that body part. They also think not wanting to discuss that part means that you are ashamed of it, rather than the sort of person who realizes that possessing a functional organ is not something to be bragging about, and organs are not polite subjects anyway.

One girl just posted a music video about how much she loves her body part. I felt like responding with the music video for Weird Al's 'Pancreas'.

Editeer

« Reply #9499 on: October 16, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »

Them: You know that store on the corner of Main and 1st?
Me: Yep.
Them: The one with the blue awning?
Me: Yep.  Joe's Drugs.
Them: It was a bookstore but now it's a drugstore?
me:  Yep.
Them: And it has the new parking lot?
Me: Yes.  I know which store you're talking about.
Them:  And Ethel got her prescription there?
Me:  YES!
Them:  What?  I just wanted to tell you they're going to be closed on Columbus Day.
Me:  ::dies::

Oh, so you're related to my husband?  :)  The funny thing is--we have a mutual friend who is even worse about this. If you ask him what time it is, he'll describe how atomic clocks work and why certain ones are more accurate than others. It drives my husband crazy. I just laugh, like, "Really? Why ever would that bother you?"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9500 on: October 16, 2012, 02:53:36 PM »
Ooh yes, Editeer.

When Mr. Thipu's in the mood, he can be like that.   If you ask him for the time, you will get not only the history of time-keeping,  you will also get the history of the company that made your watch. 

Let's not even mention what convolutions he can get into with a simple question about today's weather or what we remember about certain times on vacation. 

He doesn't get that way often but, when he does, I feel like I've walked into that song from 'Gigi', 'I remember it well'.   

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9501 on: October 16, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
Hoping this isn't too political, but some of my friends are extremely proud that they possess a certain body part. So proud, that they keep on posting Facebook statuses, loudly discussing it with like-minded individuals in public places, and accusing anyone who has political disagreements with them of having designs upon that body part. They also think not wanting to discuss that part means that you are ashamed of it, rather than the sort of person who realizes that possessing a functional organ is not something to be bragging about, and organs are not polite subjects anyway.

One girl just posted a music video about how much she loves her body part. I felt like responding with the music video for Weird Al's 'Pancreas'.

Heck, I've got a body part I'd do a swap for in a second, but even then the "all glory to [opposite body part]" mentality squicks me out.

Especially when people possessing said body part say they don't want to be objectified based on that body part...

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #9502 on: October 16, 2012, 03:13:24 PM »

Heck, I've got a body part I'd do a swap for in a second, but even then the "all glory to [opposite body part]" mentality squicks me out.

Especially when people possessing said body part say they don't want to be objectified based on that body part...

It's a tail, isn't it. I knew it.

My eyes are up here, by the way...

Carotte

« Reply #9503 on: October 16, 2012, 04:52:36 PM »

Me: "I'm sorry? That's the adult fiction. What are you looking for?"

Her: "Books. I'm looking for books! I don't even know what these are!"

I'm not sure I could pass out on borrowing a line from Hamlet ( Hamlet to Polonius, act 2 scene 2 if I'm not mistaken)
" Words, words...."
David Tennant did it so well in the latest RSC/BBC Hamlet, * sight *

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #9504 on: October 16, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »

Indeed. But mostly what is baffling me is how they assume this is a conversation that belongs in a public place. Except for this small subset of particulars, I thought the only organ one could discuss in public was the skin, and then only if nothing too gross was happening to it. I've had these friends try to tell me I shouldn't be ashamed, but shame and delicacy are two different things. I don't talk about my digestive organs, circulatory system, central nervous system, lymphatic system, etc. to anyone but my doctor, or in private conversation when something has gone wrong with one of them, or when I'm being asked for advice. That has nothing to do with shame.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9505 on: October 16, 2012, 07:18:11 PM »
This has been happening to me with someone in my family, so it's extra top-of-mind today.

It drives me bonkers when someone is talking about something and keeps describing it even after you've acknowledged you know the location or person they're talking about.

Them: You know that store on the corner of Main and 1st?
Me: Yep.
Them: The one with the blue awning?
Me: Yep.  Joe's Drugs.
Them: It was a bookstore but now it's a drugstore?
me:  Yep.
Them: And it has the new parking lot?
Me: Yes.  I know which store you're talking about.
Them:  And Ethel got her prescription there?
Me:  YES!
Them:  What?  I just wanted to tell you they're going to be closed on Columbus Day.
Me:  ::dies::

Oh my gosh, my DH does this and it just drives me up the wall!  He gets really really hurt too if I interrupt him to say "Yes, I know, what were you going to say?" and is like "Well, I didn't know if you knew that!".  When I've been agreeing with you for five sentences now, that means I know!  If I don't know, I'll ask!

Also, it drives me up the wall when people think "I'm sorry" is some sort of magic panacea that prevents them from ever having to change and prevents me from being upset.  If I had an nickel for all the times I told someone I was upset by something they did, and they get angry and say "I said I was sorry!"...

Betelnut

« Reply #9506 on: October 17, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »
TV at gas pumps.  Annoying and hard to ignore since the volume is ALWAYS ON SO HIGH!!!!

Really, do people need to be entertained 24/7?  Can't we pump our gas without being bombarded with ads and mindless morning television?

I know, I know, the key word here is "ads."  If an object can be plastered with an advertisement it will be; if the quiet can be interrupted with a sound bite for a product, it will be.  I HATE it!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Redsoil

« Reply #9507 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »
You have TV at your gas pumps???  That's just freaky.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #9508 on: October 17, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »
I've been places that had TV sets blaring at the checkout lines at the grocery store.  The noise level is maddening.

Redsoil

« Reply #9509 on: October 17, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »
I'm now wondering if you have TV in your public toilets!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!