Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1705218 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9510 on: October 17, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »
snip

Also, it drives me up the wall when people think "I'm sorry" is some sort of magic panacea that prevents them from ever having to change and prevents me from being upset.  If I had an nickel for all the times I told someone I was upset by something they did, and they get angry and say "I said I was sorry!"...

Same with "It was an accident". One of my staff (who I trained) was hired for a management level position, but is still doing her old job until we hire a replacement. She processed data incorrectly (scanned type B documents as type A, they go different places in our system based on type) which resulted in an hour of work for me to fix the whole mess. When I responded to her initial email about the error, I was polite but firm. The response: "It was an accident".

I understand, but this could have been avoided entirely if she had followed our usual procedures. Sigh.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:23:28 AM by ladyknight1 »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9511 on: October 17, 2012, 10:22:51 AM »
TV at gas pumps.  Annoying and hard to ignore since the volume is ALWAYS ON SO HIGH!!!!

Really, do people need to be entertained 24/7?  Can't we pump our gas without being bombarded with ads and mindless morning television?

I know, I know, the key word here is "ads."  If an object can be plastered with an advertisement it will be; if the quiet can be interrupted with a sound bite for a product, it will be.  I HATE it!

I do not like this either. Even worse is the additive machine on some stations that talks to you until you press mute. I no longer go to any station with tv's or the additive machines.

magicdomino

« Reply #9512 on: October 17, 2012, 10:29:22 AM »
I'm now wondering if you have TV in your public toilets!

Not normally, but I've heard about it as a possibility.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #9513 on: October 17, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »
I've been places that had TV sets blaring at the checkout lines at the grocery store.  The noise level is maddening.

They tried those near my house.  I don't know who said what but it wasn't long at all before they were all gone, thank goodness!  They even tried TVs (that basically ran store ads) in the meat department.  Those disappeared too.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9514 on: October 17, 2012, 11:00:41 AM »

A restaurant near our house has aquariums in the bathrooms.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9515 on: October 17, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »

A restaurant near our house has aquariums in the bathrooms.

Don't forget the pool table in the men's room at Shoji's place in Branson, Missouri. At least they used to have one, and the ladies' room only had a wishing well.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9516 on: October 17, 2012, 11:56:38 AM »
I would like a waterfall fountain in the bathroom.  It would be useful for those times when you know you need to go, but your body hasn't gotten the memo yet.

The bank I go to has a TV running constantly, on their own in-house channel.  I find it baffling, since if I'm in line and I have that much time that I need to watch the danged thing, all it's doing is reminding me which bank takes so long.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9517 on: October 17, 2012, 02:36:19 PM »
My ophthalmologist has his own endless video loop, including video of him performing with his band and all of the televised interviews he has ever done. Nothing like trying to recover from having your eyes dilated and listening to an endless loop every blasted time.

Worse still is the oral surgery center, where they play the "dental channel" complete with product testimonials and video of medical procedures.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9518 on: October 17, 2012, 02:45:17 PM »

I haven't seen TVs in public lavatories yet but have been some experiments with projected ads. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9519 on: October 17, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »
The ad business is acutely aware that many ads become part of the background and therefore get ignored.  That's why it became important to start putting them where they're not expected or anticipated.

Where they irritate me is when they cover what I'm reading online or when I get audio in an unseen part of the screen.

Or when I can't find the "mute" button or close box.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9520 on: October 17, 2012, 04:51:15 PM »
I hate when I'm watching a video and the pop up comes up repeatedly.  Or my personal new YouTube favorite... sticking a commercial right in the middle of a video.

CakeEater

« Reply #9521 on: October 17, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »
On the subject of TVs in wierd places. Every dentist I've been to recently has a TV going on the ceiling above the chair. However, ususally you've either got the light or the dentist's head in front of your face, so you can't see it anyway, and obviously the dentist can't work and communicate with their patient, or their assistent with the TV on, so they hhave the sound muted. Seeing glimpses of a talk show without sound doesn't really do much to distract you from having your teeth drilled.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9522 on: October 17, 2012, 07:41:17 PM »
Speaking of long-winded tales that don't get to the point, I made my DH's head hurt.  I was winding up to tell him something, and he impatiently said "What's the point?"  I said, "I can't get to the point until I tell you a story!"  ::)

My up the wall thing: ads on YouTube.  I get ready for a song or video, and get an ad  >:(

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9523 on: October 17, 2012, 08:34:08 PM »
Speaking of long-winded tales that don't get to the point, I made my DH's head hurt.  I was winding up to tell him something, and he impatiently said "What's the point?"  I said, "I can't get to the point until I tell you a story!"  ::)

One is reminded of Bill Cosby, four minutes into a 10-minute routine: "I told you that story to tell you this one."
Words mean things.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9524 on: October 17, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »

My up the wall thing: ads on YouTube.  I get ready for a song or video, and get an ad  >:(
Try this one. Preview an video on Youtube for use in your classroom no add everything is fine. Go to show it and they have added an ad - for whiskey to the video. I teach 2nd Grade. (I can't remember the video - I want to say one of those watch the earth from space videos, or it might have been the guy on the beach making the huge bubbles.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future