Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1859841 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9675 on: November 05, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »
How email confirmations for little things show up in my inbox in a matter of seconds. Big expensive purchase like plane tickets? More like 10 minutes!

YES! It takes about a nanosecond to get a "receipt" when I download a free e-book from Amazon, telling me my total is $0.00. And then if I spend a huge wad of money somewhere on line? It hangs around the ether forever and gets me all worried it didn't "take."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9676 on: November 05, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »
People in general today, not e-hellions of course!

I had to go by our warehouse club store today to pick up five items. I get in, I find what I need, I pay, and I get out. While walking in the cross walk, pushing the cart, a car comes flying up and nearly hit me. I pushed the cart ahead, and stayed behind until I was absolutely certain he would stop. As the driver passed me, he yelled something unintelligible at me.  ::)

My workplace is going to centralized printing, which will entail the removal of our individual printers. We will go to our selected printing kiosk, swipe our card, and it will print. I am not looking forward to this transition at all.

I am also having difficulty with the end of daylight savings. I didn't sleep well Saturday night or Sunday night. Let's hope tonight is better.

PeterM

« Reply #9677 on: November 05, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »
Having the dog stare at me the whole time I'm cooking, then follow me out to watch me eat.  Can't even have privacy with a cheese omelette...

Not when you're eating what is clearly the dog's omelette!

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #9678 on: November 06, 2012, 06:10:58 AM »
For a long time I have been visiting the website 9gag, which is an image aggregation site for memes. What drove me up the wall and made me stop going over there is the regular images with racist/ableist/fathating/sexist jokes. Those people think they are so smart and subversive, but if you post an image of a white man running from colored people while he holds a bucket of KFC with the text 'true courage' you're an donkey's behind. A big one at that. And don't even get me started on the 'friendzone' concept.

If anyone ever thinks that racism and sexism are not so big issues anymore these days, they should visit that website and read the comments posted with these pictures.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9679 on: November 06, 2012, 06:17:22 AM »
For a long time I have been visiting the website 9gag, which is an image aggregation site for memes. What drove me up the wall and made me stop going over there is the regular images with racist/ableist/fathating/sexist jokes. Those people think they are so smart and subversive, but if you post an image of a white man running from colored people while he holds a bucket of KFC with the text 'true courage' you're an donkey's behind. A big one at that. And don't even get me started on the 'friendzone' concept.

If anyone ever thinks that racism and sexism are not so big issues anymore these days, they should visit that website and read the comments posted with these pictures.

Minor threadjack, but do you have any sites like that that aren't that way?  I'm always looking to expand my repertoire.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9680 on: November 06, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »

Minor threadjack, but do you have any sites like that that aren't that way?  I'm always looking to expand my repertoire.

This sort of thing upsets me, too. I have long learned that if I watch Spike TV for a show I want that I must be prepared to be offended by the ads, even if not for products, at least for other programs. Same with Comedy Central.

The last breaks my heart. The younger Betty White shows were the funniest I have ever seen, and I still laugh at the Richard Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore shows. No bad words, a rare double entendre. Lucille Ball was never offensive, but I never found her quite that funny except for 2 episodes. (Although by '50s standards, showing her pregnancy was really controversial.)

I saw some really neat stuff on Facebook from Tumbl'r and couple of other sites. Oops! Many offensive things!

I just figure, in my old fogey way, that it is the times, I can't change it, enjoy what I can and use a lot of brain bleach.

Boots

« Reply #9681 on: November 06, 2012, 11:59:10 AM »
Traska try Imgur.com

They recently revamped their site rules and everything is safe for work. 
Supportive community.  They love their kitty, puppy, baby animal pics, plus lots of other things culled from the interwebs and made by members themselves.

The best part for me is the member comments.  People are so smart!  So funny!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9682 on: November 06, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »
So I spent WAY more time there than is good for sanity.  Thanks!  (I'm kind of the designated "funny images" mailing list person for a small cluster of people who don't have enough time to look for this stuff on their own.  :D)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9683 on: November 06, 2012, 03:00:01 PM »
When multiple people are trying to talk to me at the same time when one of them is telling me something I actually need to hear.

I went voting early this morning and as one guy was checking me in, the others sitting at the table were trying to talk to me too and it was very distracting. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #9684 on: November 06, 2012, 06:51:29 PM »
When out of the blue, I suddenly remember an EHell post that really cracked me up - and can't find it to save my life.  :-\

(Almost positive it was in the Coffee Break section and it involved a lady who was on her way to a bus or subway stop and somehow or another managed to walk right out of her pants in full view of everyone on the street.)
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

JadeAngel

« Reply #9685 on: November 06, 2012, 07:07:19 PM »
I apologize in advance everyone, this is rather disgusting.

People spitting on the street. I don't want to be walking along the street dodging gobs of spit. It makes me feel ill, and if you really are unable to get to a proper receptacle could you at least step over and spit into the gutter...

Gross.

Returning you to your regular non-disgusting thread now.

mmswm

« Reply #9686 on: November 07, 2012, 12:31:43 AM »
When my phone won't stop ringing because my area of expertise happens to be relevant to a major current event.  If you didn't want to talk to me before, why do you think I want to waste my entire day explaining something to you now?

I don't want to stray into topics that are no-no's, but I'll just say that my master's degree (and a few Ph.D courses...never finished) is in math with a concentration in statistics/probability theory.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9687 on: November 07, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »
Having the dog stare at me the whole time I'm cooking, then follow me out to watch me eat.  Can't even have privacy with a cheese omelette...

Heh. My friend's dog will do that when I watch her.  She will sit and stare at me until I put my plate down.  What's funny is she doesn't do that with them.  My friend says its beacuse her hubby has very deep voice, and will tell her to quit it!

Shalamar

« Reply #9688 on: November 07, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »
When people sing at their desk.  I have a co-worker who sings at every available opportunity, and her voice is ... not good.  This happened the other day:

Co-Worker #1:  Hey, (Singing Co-worker), did you know there's an actual place called Chattanooga?
Me:  Oh, no.
Singing Co-worker:  Really?  I thought -
Me:  NO ...
Singing Co-worker:  - that it was just a song.  You know the one?
Me:  OH GOD NO ...
Singing Co-worker:  "Pardon me, boy, is that the Chattanooga Choo-Choo?"
Me:  AAAAAAAGH!

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #9689 on: November 07, 2012, 02:24:05 PM »
The number of food items described on Pinterest as "Crack." Crack brownies, crack potatoes, crack fudge...really people, can we not use another, more appropriate word?
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!