Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1706480 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9690 on: November 07, 2012, 02:42:39 PM »
The number of food items described on Pinterest as "Crack." Crack brownies, crack potatoes, crack fudge...really people, can we not use another, more appropriate word?

For me, it's word "addictive" in general.  A video game cannot be addictive, no mater how fun it is.  Addictive means more than just "so much fun I don't want to stop".

Carotte

« Reply #9691 on: November 07, 2012, 03:01:20 PM »
My parents are both guilty of this: initiating a phone conversation while in the living room when someone is watching the TV. I've just argued with my dad that HE can move (cellphone) but the TV cannot!
They also always (at least it seems) call around 8:30pm -  you know, the time when WE and most people here start or are eating.
It drives me mad, other people too probably and just makes my head hurts.

My dad also can't (or doesn't want to) admit that he might have some hearing loss (my mother and I have the tv set at a volume of 24 at the most, he push it up to 29 without noticing, it used to go unnoticed until my mother had an ear operation.

Girlie

« Reply #9692 on: November 07, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »
Today, in general, it's all the, "Stop the complaining!" and "Stop the bragging!" posts I'm getting on my FB wall. The weirdest thing is, I haven't seen a SINGLE post complaining OR bragging about the election results - just a multitude of posts telling me not to do those things!

Snooks

« Reply #9693 on: November 07, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »
This is totally irrational but here we go - there's a bakery that's just opened up on my way to work and it drives me up the wall for two reasons
1) They open at 7.30am yet when I walk past just after 8 the whole shop window was covered in condensation from the inside, it just makes me think everything inside will be soggy.
2) Everything looks overdone and amateurish, if I wanted a strange looking item I'd bake it myself not pay over the odds for one from a shop.

So I guess what's really driving me up the wall is a new business not making (what I believe) the effort.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #9694 on: November 07, 2012, 04:50:05 PM »
For me, it's word "addictive" in general.  A video game cannot be addictive, no mater how fun it is.  Addictive means more than just "so much fun I don't want to stop".

They can be. There are people who have died from playing video games, because they are completely unwilling to stop for anything. It has to be people with strong addictive tendencies in the first place, and it's almost always in connection with MMORPG's, but they can be addictive in the true sense of the word.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #9695 on: November 07, 2012, 05:16:12 PM »

They can be. There are people who have died from playing video games, because they are completely unwilling to stop for anything. It has to be people with strong addictive tendencies in the first place, and it's almost always in connection with MMORPG's, but they can be addictive in the true sense of the word.
For something to be addictive, it's got to be able to affect people directly.  It's not the *game*, it's the *person*.  A compulsive gambler is not addicted to gambling... if it weren't gambling, it could easily be something else that gives the same thrill.

Something can be habit-forming, but for something to be addictive, there's got to be a chemical reaction that, once the subject is removed, causes a negative biological reaction due to dependency.  Video games, gambling, lolcats... they just don't have that ability.

That doesn't make it any less enthralling to the person who's in their grip.  But addictive just isn't the right word.

Carotte

« Reply #9696 on: November 07, 2012, 07:14:35 PM »

For something to be addictive, it's got to be able to affect people directly.  It's not the *game*, it's the *person*.  A compulsive gambler is not addicted to gambling... if it weren't gambling, it could easily be something else that gives the same thrill.

Something can be habit-forming, but for something to be addictive, there's got to be a chemical reaction that, once the subject is removed, causes a negative biological reaction due to dependency.  Video games, gambling, lolcats... they just don't have that ability.

That doesn't make it any less enthralling to the person who's in their grip.  But addictive just isn't the right word.

I'm no chemist or doctor but I'll have to argue that video games, gambling and even lolcats, once removed can and will cause a negative biological reaction due to dependency to whichever hormone or chemical playing the game was producing (think adrenaline). Some people get 'high' on the adrenaline boost of gambling millions or skydiving - take that away from them and they do get into withdrawal in the medical sense of the term.
Even running can be addictive, force someone who is used to running 20 Miles every morning for the past year to stay and not run and you will have one big mess of a person (cravings, aches, pains..).
So yes, at first the chemical imbalance was in the person, then was met by whatever activity filled it, so a gambler could focus on skydiving instead, but that's how drugs work too.
Just because general you don't get high from the endorphin by a simple jog doesn't mean someone won't get addicted faster, much like we all have different reactions and thresholds to drugs.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:19:30 PM by Carotte »

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #9697 on: November 08, 2012, 09:53:45 AM »

I'm no chemist or doctor but I'll have to argue that video games, gambling and even lolcats, once removed can and will cause a negative biological reaction due to dependency to whichever hormone or chemical playing the game was producing (think adrenaline). Some people get 'high' on the adrenaline boost of gambling millions or skydiving - take that away from them and they do get into withdrawal in the medical sense of the term.
Even running can be addictive, force someone who is used to running 20 Miles every morning for the past year to stay and not run and you will have one big mess of a person (cravings, aches, pains..).
So yes, at first the chemical imbalance was in the person, then was met by whatever activity filled it, so a gambler could focus on skydiving instead, but that's how drugs work too.
Just because general you don't get high from the endorphin by a simple jog doesn't mean someone won't get addicted faster, much like we all have different reactions and thresholds to drugs.

Yes, people can be addicted to behaviors as well as substances. Compulsive behaviors activate dopamine, the neurotransmitter involved in the brain's pleasure and reward system -- the same neurotransmitter affected by cocaine. Addiction to drugs and addiction to gambling/shopping/whatever look fairly similar in terms of brain chemistry.

Also, addiction is not a scientific term. Look in the DSM-IV and you'll find abuse and dependence, but not addiction. I understand the annoyance at people who trivialize the concept of addiction by saying they're addicted to a video game when they really just mean it's fun, but it's not accurate to say people can't be addicted to behaviors.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Miss March

« Reply #9698 on: November 08, 2012, 11:52:37 AM »
When people aren't mindful of the budgetary parameters you are trying to set!

I currently have 8 nieces and nephews, with another on his way by the end of this year. I am trying to stick to a budget of $25 per child this Christmas. I sent my sister the links to 3 separate Wii video games, all in that price range, asking which one she thought her young daughter would like best. She sent back a different link to a new release game that costs $54.95 and suggested that this was "the game (Niece) would really love."
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #9699 on: November 08, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »

I currently have 8 nieces and nephews, with another on his way by the end of this year. I am trying to stick to a budget of $25 per child this Christmas. I sent my sister the links to 3 separate Wii video games, all in that price range, asking which one she thought her young daughter would like best. She sent back a different link to a new release game that costs $54.95 and suggested that this was "the game (Niece) would really love."

"That looks like a great game.  I'd be glad to chip in with you with the $25 I have budgeted."

Miss March

« Reply #9700 on: November 08, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »

"That looks like a great game.  I'd be glad to chip in with you with the $25 I have budgeted."

Perfect! I am totally sending her back that response right now. Then I'll casually add that between having so many nieces and nephews, I can't overspend on any one child. I think my sister often 'forgets' that I'm still an Aunt to so many children on my husband's side.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #9701 on: November 08, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »

Perfect! I am totally sending her back that response right now. Then I'll casually add that between having so many nieces and nephews, I can't overspend on any one child. I think my sister often 'forgets' that I'm still an Aunt to so many children on my husband's side.

See folks, sometimes it pays to let Snarky out of the cage.  :D  (Okay, I cleaned it up for her, but it counts!)

kckgirl

« Reply #9702 on: November 08, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »
Adjusting to the EST/DST changes.  I usually don't have a problem with the fall one but I am this year.  I wish we never had to change the stupid clocks.

I agree. Choose one and stick with it!!! I'm getting very tired of waking up at 4 a.m. when I don't need to be up until 5.
Maryland

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9703 on: November 08, 2012, 09:06:01 PM »
Adjusting to the EST/DST changes.  I usually don't have a problem with the fall one but I am this year.  I wish we never had to change the stupid clocks.

I agree. Choose one and stick with it!!! I'm getting very tired of waking up at 4 a.m. when I don't need to be up until 5.
And trying to explain it to the cat.  Willow is NOT happy about the hour's change in her dining schedule.  >:(
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9704 on: November 08, 2012, 09:10:19 PM »
Neither are Carmen and Figaro.