Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1789298 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9705 on: November 08, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »
None of mine are either.  I keep getting woke up at 5 cause that's when breakfast should be.  Only my boy knows to go by the alarm clock.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

cabbageweevil

« Reply #9706 on: November 09, 2012, 04:16:03 AM »
When people sing at their desk.  I have a co-worker who sings at every available opportunity, and her voice is ... not good.  This happened the other day:

Co-Worker #1:  Hey, (Singing Co-worker), did you know there's an actual place called Chattanooga?
Me:  Oh, no.
Singing Co-worker:  Really?  I thought -
Me:  NO ...
Singing Co-worker:  - that it was just a song.  You know the one?
Me:  OH GOD NO ...
Singing Co-worker:  "Pardon me, boy, is that the Chattanooga Choo-Choo?"
Me:  AAAAAAAGH!
Reminding happens, of an observation by a nineteenth-century writer. Words to the effect of: "That unfortunate aspect of life, miserable for all concerned, by which those who have the greatest desire to make music tend to have the least ability to do so."

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #9707 on: November 09, 2012, 08:07:32 PM »
Adjusting to the EST/DST changes.  I usually don't have a problem with the fall one but I am this year.  I wish we never had to change the stupid clocks.

I agree. Choose one and stick with it!!! I'm getting very tired of waking up at 4 a.m. when I don't need to be up until 5.

I really loathe DST. I live in AZ, and we don't bother with that whole mess. But my alarm clock refuses to believe that, and it automatically changes. The worst part is that it got set to the wrong date, so I get to spring forward or fall back at random.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Allyson

« Reply #9708 on: November 10, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »
For a long time I have been visiting the website 9gag, which is an image aggregation site for memes. What drove me up the wall and made me stop going over there is the regular images with racist/ableist/fathating/sexist jokes. Those people think they are so smart and subversive, but if you post an image of a white man running from colored people while he holds a bucket of KFC with the text 'true courage' you're an donkey's behind. A big one at that. And don't even get me started on the 'friendzone' concept.

The friendzone thing drives me *crazy*! I read failbook and some of it can be really funny, but there's usually at least one or two posts along these lines. It'll be a post from a girl talking about how she, oh, went shopping with a guy friend, or how he introduced her to her now-boyfriend or *something*. And the editorial comments will bring up 'friendzoning' in a mocking/nasty way. Even though all they know about it is that a guy and a girl are friends, and not dating. Apparently it's not possible for two people to not be interested in each other like that, or for the guy to be gay, or for it to be the girl who is pining after the guy!

It's as though they assume every single friendship between a male and female involves him having Secret Romantic Feelings for her and her being somehow callous about the situation. I'm sure that happens, but it's hardly that high a percentage.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9709 on: November 10, 2012, 02:42:44 PM »
For a long time I have been visiting the website 9gag, which is an image aggregation site for memes. What drove me up the wall and made me stop going over there is the regular images with racist/ableist/fathating/sexist jokes. Those people think they are so smart and subversive, but if you post an image of a white man running from colored people while he holds a bucket of KFC with the text 'true courage' you're an donkey's behind. A big one at that. And don't even get me started on the 'friendzone' concept.

The friendzone thing drives me *crazy*! I read failbook and some of it can be really funny, but there's usually at least one or two posts along these lines. It'll be a post from a girl talking about how she, oh, went shopping with a guy friend, or how he introduced her to her now-boyfriend or *something*. And the editorial comments will bring up 'friendzoning' in a mocking/nasty way. Even though all they know about it is that a guy and a girl are friends, and not dating. Apparently it's not possible for two people to not be interested in each other like that, or for the guy to be gay, or for it to be the girl who is pining after the guy!

It's as though they assume every single friendship between a male and female involves him having Secret Romantic Feelings for her and her being somehow callous about the situation. I'm sure that happens, but it's hardly that high a percentage.

You can blame When Harry Met Sally for that.  :)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9710 on: November 10, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
It drives me up the wall when people do not accelerate when getting onto a highway.  The ramps are there for that exact purpose - to give you time to accelerate to the highway speed!  Last night, I thought I was going to be in a horrible accident.  We were getting onto a highway with a speed limit of 70.  The guy ahead of me was accelerating very very slowly - we were going no more than 50 when we hit the highway.  It's an incredibly dangerous thing to do, and I can't believe how many people do this!

In the same vein, I hate hate hate it when people take forever to change lanes.  I've been behind people who drove into two lanes for at least a mile, slowly edging over the entire time.  I understand not just swerving over wildly, but come on!  It's not that hard to move from one lane to the next!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9711 on: November 10, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »
It drives me up the wall when people do not accelerate when getting onto a highway.  The ramps are there for that exact purpose - to give you time to accelerate to the highway speed!  Last night, I thought I was going to be in a horrible accident.  We were getting onto a highway with a speed limit of 70.  The guy ahead of me was accelerating very very slowly - we were going no more than 50 when we hit the highway.  It's an incredibly dangerous thing to do, and I can't believe how many people do this!

In the same vein, I hate hate hate it when people take forever to change lanes.  I've been behind people who drove into two lanes for at least a mile, slowly edging over the entire time.  I understand not just swerving over wildly, but come on!  It's not that hard to move from one lane to the next!

The only problem with accelerating to get onto a highway is so many people refuse to let you merge.

mmswm

« Reply #9712 on: November 10, 2012, 05:49:27 PM »

The only problem with accelerating to get onto a highway is so many people refuse to let you merge.

Of course, then there's the little 4-cylinder sub-compacts that take forever to accelerate.  I love my little car, but it's 14 years old (99 Honda Civic).  Most ramps are too short for me to get to full highways speed, especially if the speed is above 60.  I can get close, but not quite. It makes my day when I see ramps that are actually long enough to really get up to the right speed.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Adelaide

« Reply #9713 on: November 10, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »
Okay, I'm sure no one agrees with me, but I am so sick of PostSecret. Everyone here is in love with it and they won't stop talking about it. The worst part is that there are new secrets every Sunday and I have to hear about them and see them in my newsfeed on Facebook. I guess I just don't get the hype. There are massive PostSecret events and everyone shares their secrets and they all cry and it's this HUGE deal. For what? A bunch of post cards that have anonymous secrets on them. Big deal. Part of it is that I've never felt better after unloading my own secrets. I could stop showering for a week and not feel as physically disgusting as when I talk about my own genuine feelings/secrets. It just doesn't seem to do any good, so what's the point? (And I should also stress that this is probably fine and dandy for a lot of people and they probably get something out of it that I can't fathom. I'm not sick of PostSecret for existing, I'm sick of hearing about it.)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9714 on: November 11, 2012, 01:03:17 AM »
Okay, I'm sure no one agrees with me, but I am so sick of PostSecret. Everyone here is in love with it and they won't stop talking about it.

I had never heard of it, so I just did a search. It is weird. I guess if my friends on FaceBook posted about it often, I would get tired, too. Gee! Thanks for introducing me another dark side of life!  ::)

Adelaide

« Reply #9715 on: November 11, 2012, 01:23:56 AM »
Okay, I'm sure no one agrees with me, but I am so sick of PostSecret. Everyone here is in love with it and they won't stop talking about it.

I had never heard of it, so I just did a search. It is weird. I guess if my friends on FaceBook posted about it often, I would get tired, too. Gee! Thanks for introducing me another dark side of life!  ::)

Well, just be glad you can ignore it and not hear about it from other sources. I thought it might be interesting at first but then I realized it's just depressing and I really don't see the point.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #9716 on: November 11, 2012, 08:23:08 AM »
*sighs* Aaaaand that's a whole night's work down the tubes because the stupid stitch marker got snagged on something and was pulled from my crochet project, losing my place and necessitating a fresh start.  I depressed myself, I need a coffee...  :'(

Snooks

« Reply #9717 on: November 11, 2012, 09:58:30 AM »
Okay, I'm sure no one agrees with me, but I am so sick of PostSecret. Everyone here is in love with it and they won't stop talking about it. The worst part is that there are new secrets every Sunday and I have to hear about them and see them in my newsfeed on Facebook. I guess I just don't get the hype. There are massive PostSecret events and everyone shares their secrets and they all cry and it's this HUGE deal. For what? A bunch of post cards that have anonymous secrets on them. Big deal. Part of it is that I've never felt better after unloading my own secrets. I could stop showering for a week and not feel as physically disgusting as when I talk about my own genuine feelings/secrets. It just doesn't seem to do any good, so what's the point? (And I should also stress that this is probably fine and dandy for a lot of people and they probably get something out of it that I can't fathom. I'm not sick of PostSecret for existing, I'm sick of hearing about it.)

I like PostSecret but I find the concept of the events slightly odd.  Although I think hearing the guy talk would be really interesting I wouldn't be able to cope with all the sharing and crying.  I do wonder if sometimes it's existence does more harm than good if people send secrets in which don't get put on the website or appear in the book, as they've "admitted" something but no-one's going to see it.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #9718 on: November 11, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »

I like PostSecret but I find the concept of the events slightly odd.  Although I think hearing the guy talk would be really interesting I wouldn't be able to cope with all the sharing and crying.  I do wonder if sometimes it's existence does more harm than good if people send secrets in which don't get put on the website or appear in the book, as they've "admitted" something but no-one's going to see it.

http://www.postsecretcommunity.com/news-faq/follow-ups

There are a couple of stories on here that address that... It's full of triggers and depressing as all get out though, so read at your own risk.

Okay, back to little things that drive me up the wall. Workout clothing. More specifically, spandexy type workout clothing. It starts out fitting well, but sweat and movement inevitably make it loosen up, so by the end of a workout, I am battling epic wedgies and clothing readjusting like crazy.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

BarensMom

« Reply #9719 on: November 11, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »
I also hate spandex, not only in workout clothing, but in the plus-size clothing I find in the stores.  Just what an overweight woman needs - spandex to emphasize every bulge and cottage-cheese dimple.