A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

What little things drive you completely up the wall....?

<< < (1962/3514) > >>

Thipu1:
 How about the carrot cake recipe that neglected to mention flour?

I had an aunt that got badly stung on that one.

The baked and sweetly seasoned carrots weren't bad as a side dish but, when you were expecting a cake, this did not make the grade. 

lady_disdain:

--- Quote from: mbbored on November 24, 2012, 03:09:17 AM ---
--- Quote from: RingTailedLemur on November 24, 2012, 03:02:42 AM ---Following cake recipe links and finding that they start with "take 1 box of XXX cake mix..."

--- End quote ---

Along similar lines, last week I was looking for baked empanada recipes. Every single one I came across walked you through making the dough and the filling, then how to stuff and fold them and ended with "and bake until golden brown." No temperature, no time, just bake!

--- End quote ---

You just described all the family recipes. If asked, grandma and the aunts explain that they all had different ovens, some hotter than others but they all knew the temperature to bake a cake on their own oven. *sigh*

PeterM:

--- Quote from: lady_disdain on November 24, 2012, 04:04:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: mbbored on November 24, 2012, 03:09:17 AM ---Along similar lines, last week I was looking for baked empanada recipes. Every single one I came across walked you through making the dough and the filling, then how to stuff and fold them and ended with "and bake until golden brown." No temperature, no time, just bake!

--- End quote ---

You just described all the family recipes. If asked, grandma and the aunts explain that they all had different ovens, some hotter than others but they all knew the temperature to bake a cake on their own oven. *sigh*

--- End quote ---

I helped a friend compile a family cookbook years back. All of her grandmother's recipes called for something on the order of "bake in a medium oven until done." That was state of the art, back in the day.

Adelaide:
If I hear "He's too old for you" from my friends and family one more time I will implode. Not only in my actual personal life, but in stupid situations like movies. I just want to watch Skyfall in peace and stare at Ralph Fiennes in a suit without hearing a pre-emptive "Look away, too old!" but apparently that's too much to ask. >.>

girlysprite:

--- Quote from: Adelaide on November 24, 2012, 09:00:08 PM ---If I hear "He's too old for you" from my friends and family one more time I will implode. Not only in my actual personal life, but in stupid situations like movies. I just want to watch Skyfall in peace and stare at Ralph Fiennes in a suit without hearing a pre-emptive "Look away, too old!" but apparently that's too much to ask. >.>

--- End quote ---

Never heard of that before. My girl crush was on Chistopher Walken, and you know how many women and girls have swooned over Sean Connnery?

And now a thing that drives me and my husband up the wall: each other and our unborn baby. You see, I'm over 38 weeks pregnant, which means labor can start any time now. The baby is also kicking really hard sometimes, so I let out smell yelps or groans. And every time my husband is startled and goes like 'what?' 'are you ok?' 'what is happening?'. He means well, and he knows it's babykicks, but due to labor being so close he is on edge. And the constant replies to each little sound I make set me on edge as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version