A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

What little things drive you completely up the wall....?

<< < (1986/5258) > >>

artk2002:

--- Quote from: Traska AKA Diane on December 07, 2012, 05:45:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: artk2002 on December 07, 2012, 04:39:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: JonGirl on December 05, 2012, 05:54:51 AM ---

People who swear have no imagination? Really?
I always believed there were no such things as swear words unless it was used as a noun.

--- End quote ---

It's a subset/superset thing. Not all people who swear lack imagination but many (most?) people who lack imagination fill it in with swearing.  Someone above cited George Carlin, and he's a good example. He used profanity in his act very carefully. Sadly, I've heard many comics since George who used profanity for the shock value and not because it actually helped the joke or story. That's a lack of imagination. George Carlin could have been funny without the profanity, had he chosen to do so. Some of these current comics, not so much.

--- End quote ---

At the same time, though, there are times when a hammer is *exactly* the tool called for.

--- End quote ---

Yes, but the point was people interpreting the phrase "people who swear have no imagination." I was pointing out that if you take it as an exact equality, it's wrong, but if you take it as a subset then it's mostly true.

Yes, there are times when it's the right tool. But there are a lot of people who use it because it's the only tool they have.

Elfmama:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on December 07, 2012, 06:56:42 PM ---Yes, there are times when it's the right tool. But there are a lot of people who use it because it's the only tool they have.

--- End quote ---
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: Elfmama on December 07, 2012, 07:30:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: artk2002 on December 07, 2012, 06:56:42 PM ---Yes, there are times when it's the right tool. But there are a lot of people who use it because it's the only tool they have.

--- End quote ---
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

--- End quote ---

But one shouldn't disparage a carpenter just because he's skilled with that hammer.

Adelaide:
I know this is a sore subject for a lot of people in real life, so I want to make it clear that I'm talking about movie/tv settings only. I hate it when people spin a movie as some great love story or some "classic" soul mate flick and it's about someone who's already married/in a relationship who finds their soul mate with someone who's not their spouse/SO. And then you're supposed to feel sorry for this pairing, because life is haaaaard. Why is life hard? Because you're sneaking around and you don't have the guts to leave your spouse/SO or to even say "Hey, this isn't working out". I was going to watch The English Patient today (because Ralph Fiennes is incredibly easy on the eyes) but then I read the synopsis and was totally turned off by it. The tagline is even "Love knows no bounds" as if cheating is some heroic, freeing act that this woman is undertaking.

I get that this happens all the time in real life. I get it. But in the context of a movie, I just find it distracting and I don't buy that I'm supposed to feel sympathy and root for these characters. Maybe it's because I'm jaded and I've had one too many girlfriends cry about how their boyfriend isn't treating them right, so they went off and cheated and got caught because life is sooo haaaard.

Octavia:

--- Quote from: Adelaide on December 08, 2012, 12:50:15 AM ---I know this is a sore subject for a lot of people in real life, so I want to make it clear that I'm talking about movie/tv settings only. I hate it when people spin a movie as some great love story or some "classic" soul mate flick and it's about someone who's already married/in a relationship who finds their soul mate with someone who's not their spouse/SO. And then you're supposed to feel sorry for this pairing, because life is haaaaard. Why is life hard? Because you're sneaking around and you don't have the guts to leave your spouse/SO or to even say "Hey, this isn't working out". I was going to watch The English Patient today (because Ralph Fiennes is incredibly easy on the eyes) but then I read the synopsis and was totally turned off by it. The tagline is even "Love knows no bounds" as if cheating is some heroic, freeing act that this woman is undertaking.

I get that this happens all the time in real life. I get it. But in the context of a movie, I just find it distracting and I don't buy that I'm supposed to feel sympathy and root for these characters. Maybe it's because I'm jaded and I've had one too many girlfriends cry about how their boyfriend isn't treating them right, so they went off and cheated and got caught because life is sooo haaaard.

--- End quote ---
POD! I was the only person in my circle who disliked the movie "The Bridges of Madison County," and it was for just that reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version