Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1742443 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 03:53:47 PM »
Ok, here's my list:

Mispronunciation of words….

Jewelry – this is werid, but I can wear it out and to work, but the minute I come home, it has to come off…could have something to do with the fact I put my jammies as soon as I can after I come home….

People who slurp their coffe or other drinks.  The woman on the other side of my cube is a repeat offender….she is LOUD and it drives me NUTS

In that same vein, people who CONSTANTLY talk to themselves while working, and berate themselves….all day long - coffee woman above does that too.  I hear "no, no, no, why did you do that?"  and "nooooo - why didnt' that work?"  She also has a high pitched sort of whiny voice so its doubly annoying.

Auntie Venom  - I am a cactus too – I am not at all huggy or kissy or touchy feely.  Some close friends I will allow to hug me, but if I don’t know you very well, I WILL back away when you try and hug me.  And those who get too close and invade my personal space make me very uncomfortable as well.  It's not necessary to stand thiiiiiis close to me and if I back up a bit, don't move forward...just stay where you are!

Cell phones – anyone who comes into a store, esp the one where I work, and expect me or other employees to help them, but can’t be bothered to stop yapping on the phone.  That’s just rude.  or is just talking loudly, no matter where you are.

Missy2U – that noise is what I call the “mashed potato” noise.  Don’t ask me why I call it that, but I hate it too. 

HeebyJeebyLeebee – my mom used to do this to me all the time growing up, and I’d be a brat and say “no, I don’t WANT to, but if you really need it done, I supposed I can do it.” Stuff like cleaning the cat box or scooping the dog droppings from the yard…..

People who can’t get to the point in a conversation….if you need something from me, just ask, don’t go around and around and use 10 sentences when one is all you need!  My one CW does that and I want to just scream…..he starts out with "i think i know the answer, but wanted to check anyway...and will then go on and on...only to find out he just wants to know did I fix a file?

Nox

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »
The sound of someone eating

Wow. This is totally me. I never knew others had this issue. I can't stand the sound of people drinking/slurping/swallowing either. Being stuck with somebody who chews gum is a special kind of hell for me. Don't even get me started on those beverage commercials with the amplified swallowing and "aaah" sounds.

People who make noise idly. I work with a nice guy who is an absentminded whistler/hummer/finger-tapper/drummer. It drives me up the wall, but I don't know how to get him to stop permanently, since he doesn't notice he's doing it. Killing him is out of the question.  ;)

People standing close to me or behind me. Or pacing behind me.

My hair getting in my face. Or on my neck.

Being read aloud to.(Never realized there were other people with this peeve too. Hi, my people!)

People who are not prepared for their transaction when they get to the front of the line. E.g. in fast food restaurants. You've been in line for 3-5 minutes with the menu in full view, don't start deciding what you want when the cashier asks you.
I also cannot stand it when my thighs touch.  I rarely wear skirts or dresses, but when I do, I'm wearing "biking shorts" style underwear.

Oooh, this! One of my major gripes with skirts and dresses. And it has nothing to do with weight. When I weighed a 100lbs my thighs touched. They're just built that way.

pod being spoken to condescendingly..

Add me to this pod.

kymom3

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2010, 04:29:13 PM »
What does it say about me that I hate hate hate people to breathe in my face.  It doesn't matter if they have the nicest smelling breath in the world, I can't stand it.  I don't care if I'm married to you or birthed you, get out of my space!  BUT, it doesn't bother me at all when I go nose to nose with our dogs, kitten or ferret.

And if I get up first, DH had better not even thing about using my pillow.  I don't want boy cooties on it!  ::)

I also hate being read to, just hand me the thing and I'll read it myself.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »
The sound of someone eating, especially if I'm not eating myself. I have no idea why, but the sound of chewing infuriates me to the point where i want to punch the person. (i have never done this, just felt a strong urge.)

Oh, em gee!

I think I'm going to get divorced over this issue. Add to it that I have this sneaking sense that my DH deliberately makes a lot of noise (when he chews, and when he walks) to try to prove to the universe that he exists . . .

Plus he often puts too much in his mouth, and ends up w/ little lip-smacking noises bcs his lips are pulling apart when he chews . .

I've just grossed myself out.

I also hate being read to, just hand me the thing and I'll read it myself.

I got in a kerfuffle over this in high school--I raised my hand and asked the teacher if I could go to the library to read it by myself. She said, "it's not very long," and I persisted, "Then maybe I can just sit in the hall outside the door?"

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
Plus he often puts too much in his mouth, and ends up w/ little lip-smacking noises bcs his lips are pulling apart when he chews . .

Wait until he has a bite in his mouth, then pinch his lips together and tell him to chew. It's how Mama Isabella taught my little brother.
Words mean things.

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 05:42:33 PM »
I thought of another one; people 'clicking' their knuckles, fingers or toes. Ewwwwwww!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 06:02:14 PM »
Mispronunciations and bad grammar by people who should know better.   When this happens in television people think the mistakes are correct.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2010, 06:21:14 PM »
Mispronunciations and bad grammar by people who should know better.   When this happens in television people think the mistakes are correct.

That made me think of alternative spellings of things that don't matter, but still drive me nuts:

The ones in parentheses are the way I would spell the word

Yippy!  (Yippee!)

he he he (hee hee hee)

Ya or yea (yeah)

Aweeee! (awww!)

I see these ones on FB regularly.  When I read, I "hear" the words in my head, and these throw me off because they don't "sound" right!

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2010, 07:15:20 PM »

People who can’t get to the point in a conversation….if you need something from me, just ask, don’t go around and around and use 10 sentences when one is all you need!  My one CW does that and I want to just scream…..he starts out with "i think i know the answer, but wanted to check anyway...and will then go on and on...only to find out he just wants to know did I fix a file?

My BF and his mom do something similar. They will be telling a story and then go off on a tangent either trying to describe something or tell another story about another person in the story.
Drives me up the wall.
Sometimes I have to say, "Yes, I know the microwave works." or try and lead them back to the main story.

Pinky830

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 07:52:11 PM »
Gum. I hate everything about gum. I can't stand to even see someone chewing it...I think it looks idiotic.

Getting water under my rings. I have to take my rings off to dry under them every time I wash my hands, which is a lot. It's a miracle I haven't lost any of them.

Having the TV on during family mealtime.

Houses where every window is completely covered-closed blinds or huge curtains. What's the point of having windows then?

Coffee breath.

The way young women end every sentence with a rising pitch so it sounds like a question.

The way my DS will finish a soda in the car, then sit there and idly make crushing noises with the empty can.

Littering. Or the way smokers throw their butts out of car windows, as if they cease to exist once they leave their hand.

I'm sort of an irritable person by nature...  ;D

Pinky830

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »

My BF and his mom do something similar. They will be telling a story and then go off on a tangent either trying to describe something or tell another story about another person in the story.
Drives me up the wall.
Sometimes I have to say, "Yes, I know the microwave works." or try and lead them back to the main story.

DH's grandmother was really, really bad about that, and my MIL is close. Argh.

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2010, 08:05:04 PM »
I'm really enjoying this thread except that there's some stereotyping going on. Like saying that people who talk on cell phones in public do it because they want people to think they're important. I don't think it's very polite to say things like that.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2010, 08:50:23 PM »
Wow. This is totally me. I never knew others had this issue. I can't stand the sound of people drinking/slurping/swallowing either. Being stuck with somebody who chews gum is a special kind of hell for me. Don't even get me started on those beverage commercials with the amplified swallowing and "aaah" sounds.

I've always hated the sounds of people eating/drinking. And gum...ugh. When I hear it being snapped and popped I want to throttle the perp! (don't worry, I never have, it's just a fantasy)

I thought I was weird, but it's nice to know that I'm not alone and that it's okay to not like certain things.

MasterofSquirrels

• hi.
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2010, 09:17:24 PM »
my DH does this.. and it drives me crazy..

speaks in similes.. (where you use "like or as" right?) he'll be speaking to me about anything... and then say.."it's like blah blah blah.." and what he was saying wasn't complicated at all! drives me bonkers.. like when someone is saying something.. and they.. ARGH!  ;D

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
Oh, I thought of more! Or, more accurately, was reminded of more.

Hairdressers who cannot remember the simple instruction, "do not layer the front." (my curly hair does not handle this well).

My husband, wanting to tell me something funny he found online, starts talking before getting my attention and then gets upset because I didn't hear him.

Hairs falling down inside the front of my shirt. It tickles! And then I have to pull them out - and that just looks awkward.

My husband asking me what's for dinner after 1) I just told him or 2) he just asked!

Touching my hair. Don't know why. I actually had to overreact to someone about it a few weeks ago because he refuses to take anyone's objections seriously (most people grow out of egocentricity by elementary school. He has not, and so required an absolute overreaction to convince him I was serious. /sigh)

Actually, the person I just mentioned. Not a small thing, but he does drive me crazy. And not in a good, I-love-you-anyway sort of way. More of a I-put-up-with-you-because-I-have-to sort of way.

Also, loose socks. Loose socks slide around and get wrinkled under my feet.