Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1316659 times)

Emmy

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2010, 10:00:11 PM »
There seems to be a lot of people here who can't stand even the smallest, almost unavoidable eating noises.  I am not a noisy eater and chew with my mouth closed, however eating will always make some noise.  Growing up, my brother decided to pick on me about making noise when I was eating.  I was not making any excessive noise, chewing with my mouth closed ect. and it really felt like he had his dog ears on purposely listening for any noise so he could complain about it ::).  It really drove me up a wall to be criticized for something unavoidable.

Certain words or phrases drive me up a wall simply because I don't like them.

I'll also pod being talked to condescendingly.  Most of the time for me it seems to happen by other females (prissy ones who think they are smarter than everyone else).

When somebody comes and interrupts a conversation I am having with another person, changes the subject and manages to exclude me from the new conversation.

Seeing lipstick marks on a glass will turn my stomach.  Even if it is on a paper cup which is about to be thrown away, I find it very unpleasant to look at.

Really bad fashion, it makes me want to give the person a makeover.

The fact my work only orders work clothing for men (although women's sizes are available and half the people that work there are women).  I hate that the shoulder seam in my shirt is almost to my elbow.

Trying to have a conversation with somebody who only gives one word answers.

When somebody gets *ahem DH* gets competitive or upset during what is supposed to be a casual friendly game amongst friends or family.  

Hearing my own voice mail I leave on somebody else's machine.  I am so critical of myself that I don't feel I come across natural at all if I know I'm being taperecorded or videotaped.

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2010, 10:58:37 PM »
Ok, here's my list:

Mispronunciation of words….

Jewelry – this is werid, but I can wear it out and to work, but the minute I come home, it has to come off…could have something to do with the fact I put my jammies as soon as I can after I come home….

People who slurp their coffe or other drinks.  The woman on the other side of my cube is a repeat offender….she is LOUD and it drives me NUTS

In that same vein, people who CONSTANTLY talk to themselves while working, and berate themselves….all day long - coffee woman above does that too.  I hear "no, no, no, why did you do that?"  and "nooooo - why didnt' that work?"  She also has a high pitched sort of whiny voice so its doubly annoying.

Auntie Venom  - I am a cactus too – I am not at all huggy or kissy or touchy feely.  Some close friends I will allow to hug me, but if I don’t know you very well, I WILL back away when you try and hug me.  And those who get too close and invade my personal space make me very uncomfortable as well.  It's not necessary to stand thiiiiiis close to me and if I back up a bit, don't move forward...just stay where you are!

Cell phones – anyone who comes into a store, esp the one where I work, and expect me or other employees to help them, but can’t be bothered to stop yapping on the phone.  That’s just rude.  or is just talking loudly, no matter where you are.

Missy2U – that noise is what I call the “mashed potato” noise.  Don’t ask me why I call it that, but I hate it too. 

HeebyJeebyLeebee – my mom used to do this to me all the time growing up, and I’d be a brat and say “no, I don’t WANT to, but if you really need it done, I supposed I can do it.” Stuff like cleaning the cat box or scooping the dog droppings from the yard…..

People who can’t get to the point in a conversation….if you need something from me, just ask, don’t go around and around and use 10 sentences when one is all you need!  My one CW does that and I want to just scream…..he starts out with "i think i know the answer, but wanted to check anyway...and will then go on and on...only to find out he just wants to know did I fix a file?

I do that too!

And pretty much everything else on the list.  I don't like being touched or hugged; I don't like hair touching me, especially when it's hot - which is most of the time atm.  I cannot stand whistling, drives me to homicidal thoughts!  I can read a LOT faster than you can read that article out loud, please just let me.

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2010, 11:23:19 PM »
There seems to be a lot of people here who can't stand even the smallest, almost unavoidable eating noises.  I am not a noisy eater and chew with my mouth closed, however eating will always make some noise.  Growing up, my brother decided to pick on me about making noise when I was eating.  I was not making any excessive noise, chewing with my mouth closed ect. and it really felt like he had his dog ears on purposely listening for any noise so he could complain about it ::).  It really drove me up a wall to be criticized for something unavoidable.

I don't like hearing eating noises, either, but a normal meal situation isn't too bad for me.  Turning the radio on is usually sufficient to mask the chewing sounds.  It only really grosses me out when someone comes up really close to me while they're eating -- I have to ask them to move away.

I don't even know if they still put them in those little ice cream cups, but I hate those wood "spoons".  They are completely unpleasant to eat with. <shudder>

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2010, 12:04:08 AM »
Speaking of those wooden spoons, I have a passionate, burning hatred for sporks. They make me completely insane. The spork has to be one of the most useless items ever.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2010, 12:06:01 AM »

Jewelry – this is werid, but I can wear it out and to work, but the minute I come home, it has to come off…could have something to do with the fact I put my jammies as soon as I can after I come home….

For me it's makeup, which is why I never wear it unless I am onstage (that's the only occasion, in my book, when one *has* to!). I can feel it on my skin, clogging my pores.... ewwwww....

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2010, 12:16:01 AM »
People who keep touching you while you talk to them. (In my case this can be painful or even deadly)

Kids who stand right behind me - one day I'm going to hurt someone tripping over them.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Cyradis

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2010, 01:25:03 AM »
When people don't replace lids properly - half close them or jam them on any old way.
When people start singing along with a song they don't know.
Dogs grooming their front paws.  :-\ I've loved every dog in my life but they've all made that horrid smacking noise when licking their front paws.
People touching my hair. Ick, ick, ick!
People who insist that I'm weird for not wanting my hair touched.
Personal space violations. I need a buffer.
People who ask "Why are you a fan of Sci-Fi, Vampires, AC Milan, The Cure, carrot oat muffins, whatever? Romance, Pixies, Aston Villa, Elvis and cherry pie are sooo much better."  ::)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2010, 01:55:53 AM »

My husband, wanting to tell me something funny he found online, starts talking before getting my attention and then gets upset because I didn't hear him.

You have NO idea how happy I am to read this.  BF does this to me all the time, and gets so upset that I never listen to him ::)  I keep telling him, all he has to do is say "hey, Rainha, listen to this!" first, and then wait til he has my attention.  I was starting to wonder if I was stupid or something, not being able to just listen. 

Micah

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2010, 05:40:46 AM »

My husband, wanting to tell me something funny he found online, starts talking before getting my attention and then gets upset because I didn't hear him.

You have NO idea how happy I am to read this.  BF does this to me all the time, and gets so upset that I never listen to him ::)  I keep telling him, all he has to do is say "hey, Rainha, listen to this!" first, and then wait til he has my attention.  I was starting to wonder if I was stupid or something, not being able to just listen.  

I have exactly the same problem! Especially if I'm reading.

One of my FB friends says goodnight by typing 'nig nig' instead of night night. Every time i see it i want to reach through the screen and shake her!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:44:50 AM by Micah »
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2010, 07:04:48 AM »
-Certain chewing noises bother me. Usually it is my husband because of his allergies and the fact he has to breath through his mouth. So he has this very loud way of chewing.  It involves a lot of smacking and snorting. I notice it more when he eats certain things.
-People who get in my personal space. I don't like to be touched unless I know the person very well and even then sometimes I flinch. if you come up to me and try to touch me and I don't know you I get very upset. Once I was walking and somebody tried grabbing onto the backpack I use as a purse to get past me. Um no. I felt violated even though it was just my backpack.
-People who stop in the middle of the sidewalk to have a conversation. They can block the whole sidewalk and it annoys me.
-Hair. I do not like touching hair expect my own. Seeing globs of hair makes me gag. Getting hair on food or dishes makes me gag although I am getting better if I know it is my own hair.
-People who use what they are pushing as weapons ( strollers and carts being the most common although I saw somebody use her kids wheelchair in this fashion once). They just turn them in a zigzag manner and it seems like they like are heading towards you. I did have a woman actually hit me with her stroller as I wouldn't get out of the lift fast enough.

saddened

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2010, 07:25:04 AM »
I also dislike my hair being touched. The hairdresser touching it is ok though.

Another thing that drives me crazy is a heavy walker. My 7 yo son thumps around the house like an elephant and it's so annoying. If we're out and about he slaps his feet down when walking - and then complains that his legs are tired!

Oh and my mum pronounces the word film as 'fillum' - arrrgh!!

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2010, 07:40:18 AM »
People who comment on the speed you are walking.

I always get accused of "strolling" into work. Every day, by different people.

First of all, YOU may be late, but I am early enough that I could stroll into work if I wanted to.

Second of all, I am two feet taller than you and most of that is leg. Have you noticed I'm not falling behind? It's because my strides are longer.

Last of all, what does it matter?
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2010, 07:58:59 AM »
-People who stop in the middle of the sidewalk to have a conversation. They can block the whole sidewalk and it annoys me.

This has happened several times recently and makes me want to smack someone. It's called a sidewalk, not a sidestand!

Reddie321

• Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2010, 09:19:41 AM »
Hearing a story/explanation more than once, and the person doesn't remember telling me.

Socks in general.  Actually, anything covering more of my foot than it has to.  I hate winter because I have to cover up my toes.

Archer is hard of hearing (or maybe he's just already tuned out my voice), and it drives me batty when he waits until I finish a LONG story or explanation before he tells me he didn't understand what I was saying.  He was hoping he'd catch on by context clues.  ARGH!

Loud breathing.  Especially when eating.

Being interrupted.

People with dry hands rubbing them together...that'll drive me up the wall faster than anything.

Being forced to "read along" with someone in class.  Just let us read silently PLEASE.  (I'm a fast reader)

And this is a really bad thing to complain about, but I can't stand it when Archer rubs my feet while he's watching TV.  I should be glad that I'm getting a foot rub, I know, but his attention span totally drifts and I'll get ruuuuuuuub, ruuuuuuuuuuub, then nothing for 15 seconds, then ruuuuuuuub, nothing, nothing...just stop rubbing if you're not going to rub!

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »
Hairs falling down inside the front of my shirt. It tickles! And then I have to pull them out - and that just looks awkward.

Happens to me all the time ... and when I embark on the retrieval expedition, some sort of alarm or something goes off and a co-worker (usually Big Al) will invariably appear in my doorway.
Words mean things.