Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1300526 times)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2010, 09:53:26 AM »
My ex-husband does this. He'd mutter around just under the threshold where I could hear it, and would get peeved when I asked him what he said.

On more than one occasion, I mentioned that if he wanted me to hear, he should speak up, and if he didn't want me to hear, he shouldn't be audible.

He took this as an attack on his ability to have an internal monologue. (I pointed out that "internal" by definition means no one else can hear it.)
Words mean things.

Reddie321

• Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2010, 10:09:49 AM »
The word "brekkie". It makes breakfast sound like some kind of fun zany upbeat party.

YES.

Also "prezzies" and "besties."

And (seen mostly in facebook status updates) people who "Had a blasty blast last night!"

ARGH!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2010, 10:30:06 AM »
The word "brekkie". It makes breakfast sound like some kind of fun zany upbeat party.

YES.

Also "prezzies" and "besties."

And (seen mostly in facebook status updates) people who "Had a blasty blast last night!"

ARGH!

LOL, someone has been watching too much Wow Wow Wubbzie...
[snip]

When my husband says something (or rather, mumbles something) and I didn't hear it so I ask him to repeat it - so he does, but one word at a time, as if he thinks I asked him to repeat it because I wanted to play Lingo. 

[snip]

I have a relative who starts conversations this way.  They will walk into a room and say "They're dead!"

Then we have to guess who or what is dead.  It's great fun.

Another one has conversations in their head and then decide to include others.  Only they forget we weren't privy to the internal conversation. 

Relative (all of a sudden) We need to do something about that!
Us: What?
R: The leaves!
U: What leaves?
R: In the garden!  Weren't you listening?

This has been going on since I've known her (15 years.) And she's pretty sharp in most other areas, so I think this is just a super fun quirk.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2010, 10:43:46 AM »
Another one has conversations in their head and then decide to include others.  Only they forget we weren't privy to the internal conversation. 

Relative (all of a sudden) We need to do something about that!
Us: What?
R: The leaves!
U: What leaves?
R: In the garden!  Weren't you listening?

This has been going on since I've known her (15 years.) And she's pretty sharp in most other areas, so I think this is just a super fun quirk.

I've been guilty of this one, usually with DH.  We'll be sitting quietly in a room, and I'll suddenly say something like, "Do you think that will work for dinner?"

Fortunately I'm pretty quick to realize what I've done, so by the time DH says "What are you talking about?" I'm already mustering my fake indignation to reply, "What, weren't you listening to the thoughts in my head?  Humph!"  ;)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2010, 10:48:56 AM »
One friend and I used to have conversations where there would be 3 or 4 mental steps between each thing we said but we were so similar that the conversation made total sense to us.

Drove everyone else around us batty though.  They'd be 'What the... are you two talking about?' and we'd be all giggles as we tried to explain our thought processes.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Pinky830

« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »

When my husband says something (or rather, mumbles something) and I didn't hear it so I ask him to repeat it - so he does, but one word at a time, as if he thinks I asked him to repeat it because I wanted to play Lingo. 

Him:   mumble mumble mumble batteries for mumble mumble mumble because the old ones died.

Me:    What?

Him:   Batteries.

Me:     Yeah . . .?

Him:    Old ones.

Me (getting a bit annoyed at this point)   YEAH?

Him:   The old ones died!!!  Jeez!!!

That MAKES ME INSANE. When DH starts that, these days I sigh loudly and say, in the exact same inflection every time, "Will you please repeat your entire sentence to me because I didn't hear you?" After enough repetition, he's finally getting the message.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »

*Asking what happened during a TV show or movie. Look...just watch the dang thing or if it's a movie, you can re-start it when I'm done. But don't keep asking me to explain the plot or storyline.

ginlyn

On that same note - people who keep asking questions about WHY something is happening or WHAT is going on during a movie or tv show.  Not to sound superior, but sometimes there are subtleties that some of my friends just don't get or background they don't know anything about.  So they feel the need to keep asking me why or what, when all I want to do is watch the show or movie - NOT explain to them the entire background.

I was trying to watch a movie called Hunger, about IRA prisoners and Bobby Sands' hunger strike in protest....for anyone whose seen it, if you don't know anything about the events etc.  it might be a bit hard to follow - I do know the background of all of it, but my friend had no clue, so she kept asking me questions.  As it was driving me nuts, and she didn't seem all that interested, I finally said hey, let's watch something else, and she was agreeable.

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »
Ever since I was little, I have hated to have to say a movie or book title, or an actor's name, or something like that.  It's like I'm embarrassed that I know the full name.  It may be because I learned to read at 3 (taught myself watching Sesame Street) and was reading way above my level as a child, so I used big words, and other children made fun of me.  So I stopped using the words in my head and started talking like the others.

For example, if my DH says "Whatcha watchin'?" I'll say "Some sci-fi movie" and then he will prod me until I tell him the name, and I resist it as much as possible.  I don't know why.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2010, 02:27:53 PM »
The girl at the deli counter who always slices my deli meat WAY TOO THICK unless I tell her (repeatedly) otherwise.  I'm sure it makes her job harder to slice my roast beef to the "almost but not quite shaved" point, but that's how we like it!  I generally dislike laziness, I guess.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2010, 03:22:55 PM »
Ever since I was little, I have hated to have to say a movie or book title, or an actor's name, or something like that.  It's like I'm embarrassed that I know the full name.  It may be because I learned to read at 3 (taught myself watching Sesame Street) and was reading way above my level as a child, so I used big words, and other children made fun of me.  So I stopped using the words in my head and started talking like the others.

For example, if my DH says "Whatcha watchin'?" I'll say "Some sci-fi movie" and then he will prod me until I tell him the name, and I resist it as much as possible.  I don't know why.

It's awesome how alike we total strangers can be.  I also have this quirk.  It makes me very self-conscious, and I really don't know why.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »
I hate it when movies or TV shows have main characters that all look the same.  I drive BF nuts when it happens.  "Wait!  Is that the librarian?  Or the accountant?  And is that the husband or that other guy from the coffee shop?"  I think there should be a law, they all need different hair colors so I can tell everyone apart :P

I also hate it when BF puts on one of those shows that you have to have watched from the start (like Heroes, for instance), and that he knows I don't watch and won't pay attention to, and then leaves the room for something, and comes back and asked me what happened.  He's never quite satisfied with "Oh...  some woman talked to some guy about something, I think?"

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2010, 04:05:33 PM »

It's awesome how alike we total strangers can be.  I also have this quirk.  It makes me very self-conscious, and I really don't know why.

I'm the same way too, and always thoguht it was some weird quirk, unique to me!  I too feel self-concious saying certain things out loud. 

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »

I'm the same way too, and always thoguht it was some weird quirk, unique to me!  I too feel self-concious saying certain things out loud. 

me too!!!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »
People who don't clean the lint filter after using the dryer.

People who rate reviews as unhelpful because they don't agree with them.

Edited to add a forgotten word.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:02:56 PM by M. »

Stoneway

« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2010, 09:07:29 AM »

me too!!!

Ooh, me three!!  Like everybody else, I thought I was the only one!