Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1733088 times)

Stoneway

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2010, 09:07:49 AM »
Can’t remember whether anybody has mentioned misplaced apostrophes.

I was browsing around a book shop (where you would think they ought to know better) at the weekend and found a section labeled “Biography’s”!!  I nearly wept.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2010, 09:30:07 AM »
Sweet Pattootie says "acrosst".  As in "the neighbors acrosst the street."  Makes me twtichy.  And he knows I hate it too. 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2010, 10:31:19 AM »
AND another thing ... made-up words.

Specifically, "grok" and "frak."

I hate hate hate them. They are the Celine Dions of the word world.
Words mean things.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2010, 10:48:18 AM »

I was browsing around a book shop (where you would think they ought to know better) at the weekend and found a section labeled “Biography’s”!!  I nearly wept.

A 'two for the price of one': a [professionally-produced] banner, on the wall of a local pub, proclaiming that SUMMERS ON IT'S WAY.

:twitch:

:submit photographic evidence to apostropheabuse.com:

:twitch:

Emmy

« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I hate when somebody asks me what is going on during a movie.  Besides the fact the interuption is now making me miss the movie, chances are I don't know the answers to the questions because this is the first time I am seeing the movie as well. 

Being called ma'am makes me cringe inwardly.  I know it is a technically correct term for a woman and my dislike of it is my own issue.  I don't think ma'am is a pleasant sounding word and a lot of people in the northeast associate it with being old and matronly.

When I go to a restaurant or bar and am asked what I would like to drink right away before even having a chance to browse the menu.  I think it would be better if the server would ask if I was ready to order drinks yet and offer to come back later.

When I am sitting alone in the back seat of a car and the two people upfront are having a conversation with the radio playing.  I can't hear anything because the speakers are in the back and their heads are turned away from me.  Triple annoyance when I explain why I can't hear them and they bug me about not participating in the conversation.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »

When I am sitting alone in the back seat of a car and the two people upfront are having a conversation with the radio playing.  I can't hear anything because the speakers are in the back and their heads are turned away from me.  Triple annoyance when I explain why I can't hear them and they bug me about not participating in the conversation.

I hate that too, and I have one friend who will turn up the radio for a song she likes, then turn it down again to continue the conversation.  THAT makes me twitchy; just leave the volume alone!

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »

I can't believe I didn't.  It makes me stabby.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »
I hate it when smokers smack their packs of cigs in order to bring the nicotine to the cig tips. It’s this annoying, loud “thwacking” sound. And it also reminds me of back in school days when kids would smoke and do that to look “cool”. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »
I hate it when smokers smack their packs of cigs in order to bring the nicotine to the cig tips. It’s this annoying, loud “thwacking” sound. And it also reminds me of back in school days when kids would smoke and do that to look “cool”. 

That's not why they do it (I don't actually think that's possible).  They do it so the tobacco gets compacted, making for a more satisfying draw.

Lynnv

« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »

I always did it to compact the tobacco, which made for a better smoke.  Had nothing to do with looking cool, and I don't think it can possibly move the nicotine around.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

kitty_ev

« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2010, 04:36:18 PM »
Unlike many PPs I actually like the sound of other people eating. When my FH is eating an apple or an orange, I will actually come up and hug him so I get to press my ear on his cheek and hear him chew (I get permission first, of course!) Clearly I'm just very very strange! I love incidental noises, such as the sound of boiling water or chopping vegetables or scrubbing plates or the bathroom or whatever. I digress though...

Also, apologies Juana, I make up words all the time! Promise I won't use them on here though  :)

Misplaced apostrophes can drive me absolutely insane. There's this shop just round the corner from my old house that I used to have to pass every time I went to the supermarket. It had a sign outside saying "We collect: fridge's, freezer's, TV's, DVD player's, bed's, laptop's, computer's, washing machine's" etc. I can't actually remember all the things they bought. I wanted to smash that sign every time I saw it. It really set my teeth on edge!

I hate being called 'Madam'. I'm only 24, and it seems far too old a term for me.

Stoneway

« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2010, 09:04:04 AM »
Oh and I have to be almost completely covered by a blanket when I'm sleeping.  No matter if it's 110 degrees outside.  I have to be covered.  And I pull and push until the blanket at my back is tucked in behind me, so I'm cocooned.  If it's not tucked back there, it feels like there's no blanket at all.  I can't have air touching me from behind =\

I’m the same!  I have to feel enclosed and snug in bed, no matter what temperature it is.

In a similar vein, I HAVE to sleep in complete darkness.  I cannot relax if there is even the tiniest chink of light peeping through the bedroom curtains. 

Even though I obviously close my eyes in bed, if that maddening stripe of light is flashing across the ceiling I simply cannot ignore it, I just know it’s there!  I have to get out of bed and arrange the curtains just so – aarrghh!!

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2010, 09:58:29 AM »
*If I have to send a piece of paper (letter size) back in an envelope, I hate it when it gets all scroogy and the address is crooked in the window.  Maybe I'm a little bit picky about how the address looks in bills, etc.  ;D

*Envelopes that have instructions like "Tear off tab A, and pull towards flab B".  I always make a mess and have destroyed whatever it was inside.

*When you get an official, even scary looking envelope, and you frantically open it, anticipating bad news, and it's a contest come-on  >:(.  There ought to be a law that things like that can't look like they're from the government, or have "personal and confidential" on the front.

gui

Pinky830

« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »
*When you get an official, even scary looking envelope, and you frantically open it, anticipating bad news, and it's a contest come-on  >:(.  There ought to be a law that things like that can't look like they're from the government, or have "personal and confidential" on the front.

I got a very nice thank-you letter from a client once. Too bad he was an attorney, and sent it on his law-firm letterhead. I saw that envelope in my mail and nearly died of fright before I opened it.

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2010, 02:20:31 PM »
[...]Being called ma'am makes me cringe inwardly.  I know it is a technically correct term for a woman and my dislike of it is my own issue.  I don't think ma'am is a pleasant sounding word and a lot of people in the northeast associate it with being old and matronly.[...]

I used to hate that because I am so literal. "Ma'am" is technically a title of address for a married woman. I waited tables when I was 16-18 and people almost invariably called me ma'am to get my attention. Ever since I got married it seems like I get "Miss" at a 3:1 ratio with "Ma'am". The literal side of me is inwardly screaming, "Look at my left ring finger!!!" while the practical side of me is rolling its eyes. It really doesn't matter as long as the person isn't yelling an obscenity as a form of address.  >:D  ;D