Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1650460 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
I used to hate that because I am so literal. "Ma'am" is technically a title of address for a married woman. I waited tables when I was 16-18 and people almost invariably called me ma'am to get my attention. Ever since I got married it seems like I get "Miss" at a 3:1 ratio with "Ma'am". The literal side of me is inwardly screaming, "Look at my left ring finger!!!" while the practical side of me is rolling its eyes. It really doesn't matter as long as the person isn't yelling an obscenity as a form of address.  >:D  ;D

I've never seen where "Ma'am" is specifically for married women. Wikipedia doesn't mention it, although it does discuss using it to address queens and commissioned officers.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2010, 02:40:11 PM »
I used to hate that because I am so literal. "Ma'am" is technically a title of address for a married woman. I waited tables when I was 16-18 and people almost invariably called me ma'am to get my attention. Ever since I got married it seems like I get "Miss" at a 3:1 ratio with "Ma'am". The literal side of me is inwardly screaming, "Look at my left ring finger!!!" while the practical side of me is rolling its eyes. It really doesn't matter as long as the person isn't yelling an obscenity as a form of address.  >:D  ;D

I've never seen where "Ma'am" is specifically for married women. Wikipedia doesn't mention it, although it does discuss using it to address queens and commissioned officers.

I have to admit, when I hear "ma'am is for married women, and miss is for unmarried women," I automatically respond with "yeah, 100 years ago!" in my head.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2010, 03:28:13 PM »
I hate that squidgy noise the windshield wipers make when there's not enough rain on the windshield. 
!!!!!!!!!!!!

I completely forgot, but that drives be bonkers! My father will often turn them on higher than they need to and it's like nails on a chalkboard to me!
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »

I have to admit, when I hear "ma'am is for married women, and miss is for unmarried women," I automatically respond with "yeah, 100 years ago!" in my head.

Well, there's that, too. Apparently the literal side of my brain is really old-fashioned.

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »
I hate that squidgy noise the windshield wipers make when there's not enough rain on the windshield.  
!!!!!!!!!!!!

I completely forgot, but that drives be bonkers! My father will often turn them on higher than they need to and it's like nails on a chalkboard to me!

Me too!!  DH doesn't turn them off when it is no longer raining.....Apparantly, he doesn't hear it....

McCutieBelle

« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2010, 04:31:11 PM »
I thought Frak was just a nice euphenism for the other "F" word ;) They said it on Veronica Mars... so I thought it had to be semi cool?

;)

When I think of the little things that annoy me, it seems like too many... am I an easily annoyable person I wonder?
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2010, 06:09:49 PM »
For some reason, it really annoys me when people announce how little they eat. Such as skipping meals, saying they “forget” to eat, announcing that they haven’t eaten anything all day (or longer), stuff like that. Especially women. It annoys me because one, I can’t do that, sorry, I do need to eat, and no way can I go for long periods w/out doing so. It makes me feel kind of bad about myself sometimes. And two, I feel like comments like that help to perpetuate myths and bad stereotypes about body and weight issues with women.

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2010, 06:38:20 PM »
Following a vehicle with their blinker on, miles after they turned!

Paper Roses

« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »
For some reason, it really annoys me when people announce how little they eat. Such as skipping meals, saying they “forget” to eat, announcing that they haven’t eaten anything all day (or longer), stuff like that. Especially women. It annoys me because one, I can’t do that, sorry, I do need to eat, and no way can I go for long periods w/out doing so. It makes me feel kind of bad about myself sometimes. And two, I feel like comments like that help to perpetuate myths and bad stereotypes about body and weight issues with women.

Don't forget the people (especially women) who take 2 bites of food and then say they're "stuffed" and that they "pigged out." 
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2010, 07:56:52 PM »

I agree with this.  I've know a few women who did this and I'm sure that it would be amusing to see them all in the same room in a game of one-upmanship about this.

extranormal

« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2010, 08:06:34 PM »

I agree with this.  I've know a few women who did this and I'm sure that it would be amusing to see them all in the same room in a game of one-upmanship about this.

You've just described my roommates from my first year of college. We would order pizza and my four roomies would have one slice each, then glance around at each other to see if anybody else would eat more. Woe betide the girl who didn't blot her pizza with a napkin and pull off all but two pieces of pepperoni. It became a perverse competition to see who would be first to reach "I couldn't possibly eat another bite" and "I'm going to explode."

I was the outlier, happily eating my third piece of pizza while they staged their contest. I have plenty of insecurities, but how much I eat isn't one of them. I think my not caring drove them a little nuts.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2010, 08:20:41 PM »
What drives me the farthest up the wall about this is that when I witness such things I have the urge to slap them flat.

Kath68

« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2010, 01:06:12 AM »
I thought of another one.

When women (and it's always a woman) is eating something in a paper bag. Instead of taking it out of the paper bag and taking a decent bite of it, they'll pull up a teeny tiny piece of whatever it is to the edge of the bag, break it off and eat that bit.  Then they'll lick their fingers and go through the whole process over and over again. Just eat the thing normally and enjoy it. It's like they're so ashamed of eating they have to do it furtively in crumb sized pieces. I always have an urge to grab the food item and smash it into their face.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2010, 02:43:37 AM »
I have the urge to slap them flat.

Venus, are you sure there isn't a little southern girl lurking in you somewhere?

BWAhaha!!  I'm so stealing that.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2010, 08:43:19 AM »
I had another phrase in mind that would not have passed the word filter unscathed.