Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1704453 times)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #4980 on: September 03, 2011, 11:51:51 PM »
Are you okay with ETA for Estimated Time of Arrival?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #4981 on: September 04, 2011, 12:01:12 AM »
Another one: I like gothic and victorian style clothing. I already have a couple of corsets and gorgeous dresses. My problem is that when I see a nice little shop selling gothic clothing, it often turns up that 90% is bad quality stuff. Most of the gothic clothing is made of panne velour, which is really thin, stretchy cloth that looks cheap. It is used to emulate velvet, except it doesn't really look like velvet (too shiny and too thin). I guess it's used to keep the prices of the dresses down, but I'm buying none of that. And something that looks really pretty turns out to be very 'meh' or even plain bad on closer inspection. In short - it's hard to find something good.

I just rolled myself into a sewing class so that I can make my own stuff.

^ is why I stopped buying clothing online for the most part, especially from Victoria's Secret Direct. I received way too many pieces of clothing that looked fantastic on the website, but actually looked super-cheap in person (and by super-cheap, I mean, cheap, nasty looking fabric, not "made me look cheap because it's so slinky/tight/tawdry when wearing it")

Another thing that drives me nuts...when you tell someone "Do not do X, because Bad Thing Y will happen". But they do X anyway, and when Bad Thing Y happens, they are indignant & try to do a "woe is me" sob-story kind of thing to me. Look, I told you not to do it, I told you what bad thing would almost certainly happen if you do it, so don't complain to me when the bad thing actually happens. I know you think it's not fair, but the universe doesn't really care if your internal sense of fairness (which is screwy in the first place) has been spurned and honestly, I can't find it in myself to feel sympathy for something bad happening that you brought on yourself.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #4982 on: September 04, 2011, 02:27:06 AM »
Are you okay with ETA for Estimated Time of Arrival?

Me?  Yep, no problem with ETA for Estimated Time of Arrival :)  It's only when it's misused to explain edits that it makes me a little nuts ;)

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #4983 on: September 04, 2011, 05:33:06 AM »
(shuffles feet while looking guilty) Ah, I'm currently the little thing driving my flatmate up the wall...with a rubber honking pig. When I went food shopping a few days ago and was checking out the dog toys to replace simba the rubber lion (Rest In Pieces) and I found the most glorious bright pink, spiny, yellow spotted porker I have ever seen. So I gave it a squeeze and it went HOOOOOONNK! and just like that I cracked up and fell in love so I bought it.

Flatmate stated I was insane when I brought it home but something that can make me laugh for under 8 bucks is a good buy in my book. I spent last night in front of the TV making wings for it so I can have a flying honker. I've been driving my poor animals and flatmate batty with sneaky HOOONKS honk honk honk when they are not expecting it. It really sounds like a honking pig laugh and I keep getting the giggles and the dog thinks it's the strangest thing ever.

Flatmate is right, I am insane. HOOOOONK!! (giggles)

pendragon1980

« Reply #4984 on: September 04, 2011, 08:47:28 AM »
(shuffles feet while looking guilty) Ah, I'm currently the little thing driving my flatmate up the wall...with a rubber honking pig. When I went food shopping a few days ago and was checking out the dog toys to replace simba the rubber lion (Rest In Pieces) and I found the most glorious bright pink, spiny, yellow spotted porker I have ever seen. So I gave it a squeeze and it went HOOOOOONNK! and just like that I cracked up and fell in love so I bought it.

Flatmate stated I was insane when I brought it home but something that can make me laugh for under 8 bucks is a good buy in my book. I spent last night in front of the TV making wings for it so I can have a flying honker. I've been driving my poor animals and flatmate batty with sneaky HOOONKS honk honk honk when they are not expecting it. It really sounds like a honking pig laugh and I keep getting the giggles and the dog thinks it's the strangest thing ever.

Flatmate is right, I am insane. HOOOOONK!! (giggles)

If it makes you feel any better, the other day I bought a squeaking dragon dog toy and I don't even have a dog. I have a cat with no interest in such things, I just wanted for myself.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #4985 on: September 04, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »
Security packaging for cold tablets.

Seriously, I should not have to get our scissors or an x-acto knife to open the dose. Or cut myself, trying to tear the plastic (which has happened).

Intellectually,I acknowledge why that packaging is deemed necessary, but my virus-fogged brain does not appreciate the reality.
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Celany

« Reply #4986 on: September 04, 2011, 10:51:42 AM »
Security packaging for cold tablets.

Seriously, I should not have to get our scissors or an x-acto knife to open the dose. Or cut myself, trying to tear the plastic (which has happened).

Intellectually,I acknowledge why that packaging is deemed necessary, but my virus-fogged brain does not appreciate the reality.

Yes! I accidentally bought diphenhydramine in the blister-packs instead of a bottle and those blister-packs are ridiculous! I ended up using scissors to open all of them in one go, because trying to open them with my fingers resulted in powered pills that made my mouth numb instead of taking my sinus headache away.  :-\
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4987 on: September 04, 2011, 01:40:41 PM »
Another facebook re-post that really annoyed me:

"I was RAISED; I didn't just grow up. I was taught to say please & thank you, to have respect for my elders, lend a helping hand to those in need, hold the door for the person behind me, say excuse me when it's needed, & to love people for who they are, not for what you can get from them! I was also taught to treat people the way I want to be treated! If you were raised this way too, re-post this. Sadly, many won't because they weren't, and it shows."

That dig at people who won't repost (because they don't care/don't spam/[insert other valid reason' is really rude.

Actually, if you really wanted to dig back, you could point out that that person was REARED.  You raise cotton and cows, you rear children.  Just sayin'

I'd be tempted to respond, "Apparently you were also raised to be a braggart who toots her own horn."
Since the people post this that I saw are all parents I was so tempted to post "Then maybe you should get busy raising your child" (Double so because several of them have rude kids). I turned off the computer instead.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

EngineerChick

« Reply #4988 on: September 04, 2011, 06:27:01 PM »
Another thing that drives me nuts...when you tell someone "Do not do X, because Bad Thing Y will happen". But they do X anyway, and when Bad Thing Y happens, they are indignant & try to do a "woe is me" sob-story kind of thing to me. Look, I told you not to do it, I told you what bad thing would almost certainly happen if you do it, so don't complain to me when the bad thing actually happens. I know you think it's not fair, but the universe doesn't really care if your internal sense of fairness (which is screwy in the first place) has been spurned and honestly, I can't find it in myself to feel sympathy for something bad happening that you brought on yourself.

My favorite quotes for this situation (courtesy of my parents, and somewhat modified from the movies Labyrinth and The Princess Bride):

"Not fair?  What's your basis for comparison?" 

"Life's not fair.  Anyone who says different is selling something."
Talk nerdy to me.

Dr. F.

« Reply #4989 on: September 04, 2011, 08:06:12 PM »
I had an experience last week that encompassed two of my top peeves.

background - I'm currently basically doing 2 jobs at work. The guy I've been covering for just started last week, and I've been training him, so I hope it'll get better here soon. But, for the last 3-4 weeks, it's been NUTS, and I've been working flat-out and falling behind on longer-term stuff while trying to keep on the day-to-day.

Anyway, last week, I was going nuts trying to keep track of where I was on a ton of different things. We were having a going-away party for 2 staff members in our division, after I'd already spent all morning in meetings. The divisional secretary called me and asked me to help decorate the room for the party.

1. I come to work to do actual WORK. She *knows* I'm doing double-duty at the moment and barely have time to *breathe*, much less decorate rooms. Don't get me wrong, I'm a friendly person and I enjoy spending some time socializing with my co-workers, who are all nice people. If I'm saying I'm slammed, I'm sorry, but work comes first.

2. She was EATING ON THE PHONE. As in, "Hey, Dr. F. (sluuurp, sluurp), could you come down here to room x (chomp, slurp), and help us decorate (chew chew chew)?" Gah!

Either of the two would be mildly irritating, but the two together drove me NUTS!

Dr. F.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4990 on: September 04, 2011, 09:47:59 PM »
Ants.  Specifically the little teeny-tiny black ants that are known here as 'sugar ants' because they love sweet things.  We had wrapped hard candy (Werther's caramels) in a cookie jar on the counter.  The ants got into it and carried away about half of them -- leaving the wrapper in the same shape as before, so that it looked like there was still candy inside.  >:(
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

hkkatie

« Reply #4991 on: September 04, 2011, 09:57:51 PM »
my dh can not step on the bathroom mat after getting out of the shower. It's RIGHT THERE! Yet there are always puddles and wet foot prints on the floor when he's done. Boggles.

Celany

« Reply #4992 on: September 04, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »

My favorite quotes for this situation (courtesy of my parents, and somewhat modified from the movies Labyrinth and The Princess Bride):

"Not fair?  What's your basis for comparison?" 

"Life's not fair.  Anyone who says different is selling something."

And both totally applicable, though the part that bothers me is less about the "unfairness" and more about someone complaining to me about consequences that I clearly told them would occur.

Which isn't to say that I've always taken all the advice I've ever given. But during the times that I disregarded someone's advice and then had the consequences they outlined happening occur, I didn't go to them to complain. I either didn't say anything to them at all, or sheepishly confirmed that they were correct.

(and the movie references reminded me that it's been far too long since I watched The Princess Bride  :))

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4993 on: September 04, 2011, 11:18:58 PM »
I hate when I read the real estate section or watch a home design show and someone crows about "The bedroom walls don't go all the way to the ceiling. It allows more light to flow through the house." Great feature if you're already an empty nester. It's not practical for people who want to have house guests or kids of their own. I'm especially baffled by the people who have kids and then decide to build their house that way

booklover03

« Reply #4994 on: September 04, 2011, 11:22:13 PM »
Not being able to find something, especially if I saw the item recently. I have these scent bars that I melt and they smell good. I saw 4 of them a few weeks ago and now I can't remember where I put them. ???