Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1688104 times)

kitty-cat

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #8955 on: August 11, 2012, 05:03:41 PM »
This one is video game related.

Creepers. Darn creepers exploding making me have to redo a section of my rail and fence.

NE Florida

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #8956 on: August 11, 2012, 10:56:48 PM »
If you were a button tin...

...that is to say, an old Marks & Sparks biscuit tin, in the shape of the cutest little gingerbread man you ever did see...

...with a little gingerbread face and little icinged smile and little buttons on his front...

...and enjoying new employment as a storage receptacle for lots and lots of buttons...

...a handy and helpful tin, the very possession of which was meant to (possibly by some sort of osmosis) bestow ORGANISATION and CAPABILITY and GENERAL SORTED-NESS upon Ferrets...

...and containing ALL THE BUTTONS Ferrets owns...

...then WHERE WOULD YOU HIDE?!

(I have a ton of sewing to do before next weekend, so this is Not Boding Well. >:( )

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8957 on: August 11, 2012, 11:10:25 PM »
^^^^Ferrets, perhaps it is with your Christmas decorations...since it's a cute gingerbread man.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8958 on: August 12, 2012, 12:06:46 AM »
I hate having pictures of myself taken. Always have, always will. They make my skin crawl. But a few months ago I let my grandma take my picture after having caught fish with my grandfather because I figured this would be the only chance I got before going off to school. She swore no one would see it and she wouldn't post it on her Facebook wall, it would never see the light of day, etc.

Today she informs me that she sent it to my brother who is in bootcamp. I know *exactly* what happens to pictures of family members in the military, and it almost makes me glad the picture is a horrible one, taken when I was in my fat stage, wearing glasses, and in old clothes from junior high. But I am fully aware that everyone around my brother is going to see that stupid picture and I am so embarrassed I could die. trust no one, not even your grandmother. Why do I keep forgetting that?
Snip

When people call tomato sauce 'gravy'.  Gravy is made from meat juices and flour.  Gravy on spaghetti just sounds unappetizing.

The gravy term for tomato sauce is an Italian American term. Usually shortened from Italian Sunday gravy, which is a meat sauce cooked all day for the Sunday night family dinner. The sauce has tomatoes, and an assortment of meat, usually italian sausage, flank steak, and meatballs.

About the pictures, I have an aversion to having pictures taken. It is a subconscious thing for me and I only notice when I need a recent picture (usually for a class project). I am working on it, and (horrors) have plans to have some group and individual shots taken while on vacation next month.

Finally, when it comes to unexpected visitors at the door, I would ignore them if you don't have a service call in. The time you have with your baby is precious and you don't have to answer the door if you are not receiving visitors at the time.

ETA: Fix the Quote tree
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:17:43 AM by ladyknight1 »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8959 on: August 12, 2012, 12:14:30 AM »
...when people say, "My work" or "at my work".

Don't know why it bugs me but it does. Can't they say, "at work" or "at my job" etc.?

Other verbiage that drives me nuts:

utilize for use
wellness for health
troops for one soldier/sailor etc. (very common in news reports)
"think outside the box" and other cliches. Northern Michigan University each Jan. 1 issues a list of banished words each year, nominated by people as being over- or mis-used. I love reading that list -- and agree with most of them. One of my submissions actually made it a few years ago.

Mine is more specific, but my particular department has several terms we use that are not in the vocabulary of people at large. It usually takes a few months before our employees understand these terms.

We have a new high level manager, and she is constantly using incorrect terms for processes that have existed for years. This is the same person that thought if something existed on one internal website, it existed on all relevant websites and none of the people responsible would have to be informed to update those sites.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8960 on: August 12, 2012, 12:16:35 AM »
If you were a button tin...

...that is to say, an old Marks & Sparks biscuit tin, in the shape of the cutest little gingerbread man you ever did see...

...with a little gingerbread face and little icinged smile and little buttons on his front...

...and enjoying new employment as a storage receptacle for lots and lots of buttons...

...a handy and helpful tin, the very possession of which was meant to (possibly by some sort of osmosis) bestow ORGANISATION and CAPABILITY and GENERAL SORTED-NESS upon Ferrets...

...and containing ALL THE BUTTONS Ferrets owns...

...then WHERE WOULD YOU HIDE?!

(I have a ton of sewing to do before next weekend, so this is Not Boding Well. >:( )

Second drawer in the dresser in my bedroom or second drawer in the  sewing cabinet in the basement.

If you can't make it to my house, try Dazi's suggestion.

Do not look in the useless cabinet above the fridge - that's only where cooking and salad making stuff gets lost..................except for lost Christmas stuff!  Look there!

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #8961 on: August 12, 2012, 03:22:43 AM »
FOUND! It was lurking under the bookcase. (Much relieved, because I have long French Napoleonic gaiters to make for next weekend, which involve approximately five squillion buttons each.)

Dazi and Luci45, that was Good Thinking with the Christmas decorations logic; next time the little scamp goes AWOL, I shall hunt out the Christmas items first! :D

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8962 on: August 12, 2012, 11:12:32 AM »
Speaking of Christmas, how about when you think you're so smart and organized by buying your Christmas cards for the next year right after Christmas, only to go looking for them in November, and they're as gone as the crew of the Mary Celeste?  >:(

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #8963 on: August 12, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »
This morning a group of people met for some reason in our apartment parking lot and were talking and laughing and generally making a big racket...at 6 a.m. on a Sunday morning.  There's also an SUV parked "in the shade" blocking the mail kiosk - but, more importantly, it's in a red zone. 

ETA:  Found out the SUV was attached to a trailer that was being actively unloaded.  So that's okay, as long as it's being actively unloaded.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 02:34:45 PM by Sirius »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8964 on: August 12, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »
My laptop, sometimes. Just typed up a post and then accidentally deleted it all. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #8965 on: August 12, 2012, 03:50:58 PM »
Okay, I understand that my sister and I are twins. We have similar - looking hair, eyes, etc. However, we usually never dress alike. It's a rare day when we actually coordinate. For instance, today my sister wore a purple and black short dress. I wore a long black skirt, turquoise top, and white sweater.

So why in the Sam Hill did so many people congratulate me for the solo I supposedly sang, when it was my sister? *headdesk*
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8966 on: August 12, 2012, 03:56:04 PM »
Thanks y'all for the cable advise.  DH agreed to cancel the cable once he found out his favorite show is available on Hulu and is the current episode on TV.  Heck, I told him I don't mind paying $8 for Hulu Plus.
 :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

turtleIScream

« Reply #8967 on: August 12, 2012, 04:00:13 PM »
Okay, I understand that my sister and I are twins. We have similar - looking hair, eyes, etc. However, we usually never dress alike. It's a rare day when we actually coordinate. For instance, today my sister wore a purple and black short dress. I wore a long black skirt, turquoise top, and white sweater.

So why in the Sam Hill did so many people congratulate me for the solo I supposedly sang, when it was my sister? *headdesk*

At my baby shower, about 5 weeks before my due date, a guest approached my non-pregnant twin and congratulated her. People are weird.

Amara

« Reply #8968 on: August 12, 2012, 04:25:10 PM »
Speaking of Christmas, how about when you think you're so smart and organized by buying your Christmas cards for the next year right after Christmas, only to go looking for them in November, and they're as gone as the crew of the Mary Celeste? 

Guihong, do this: Create an Excel spreadsheet labeled "Christmas 20__" or whatever title makes sense to you. The first column would be titled "Item," the second "Type," (meaning gift for someone, gift material like paper or cards,  and the third "Location." You can also add date, price, or any other information you need. Then when you bring home cards or wrap you pick up immediately after the holiday make a note. And use it for where you put your decorating stuff too. It would read like this:

ITEM                          TYPE                      RECIPIENT                   LOCATION
Tree lights                  White                     N/A                              Garage closet #4, box with blue tape
Cards                         Greetings                N/A                              Hall closet in bottom box
Baseball bat                Gift                        Jennifer                        Guest bedroom on top shelf

If you are sufficiently organized this will not only make things easier but give you an extra incentive to put everything in a specific location after you are done with it. Good luck!             

MizA

• Every day is the best day ever.
« Reply #8969 on: August 12, 2012, 05:01:34 PM »
Sink whiskers.

My DF works from home.  As such, he only shaves a couple of times a week.  Which wouldn't be all that bad, but for the fact that he's bristly.  And shaves his face, his head, and trims his backfuzz all at the same time.  Which always seems to coincide with right after I clean the washroom.  No matter when I clean the washroom.  Spiky little whiskers EVERYWHERE.  In my makeup.  In the sink.  Got rid of the bar soap since it seemed to be a magnet for whiskers.  On the floor.  On the toilet seat.  Seriously.  It's like he sprays them or something.

It drives me absolutely bananas.
)'( The world would rather hug you than hurt you )'(