Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1650911 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9225 on: September 25, 2012, 07:23:48 PM »
when I go for new glasses and almost fall off my chair when they tell me the final cost!  Mind you, I am blind as a bat and wear progressives, soooo not cheap.  But when they tell you it will be $1050 WITH the 30% discount.  OUCH. thanfkully insurance and flex spending will covefr half, so the rest isn't all that bad.

Ordering online, or going to Costco or BJs isn't really an option either.  My prescription is a bit tricky, so I feel more comfortable going somewhere I know will do a good job.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #9226 on: September 25, 2012, 07:39:20 PM »
when I go for new glasses and almost fall off my chair when they tell me the final cost! 

I just had that experience last week.  :-\
AND they messed up my prescription so I can't use my glasses when I work at the computer. Going back tomorrow, but I've got a suspicion that they're going to try to talk me into buying a second set of "computer glasses" instead of fixing the problem.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9227 on: September 25, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
I was looking last weekend for a bible for a study I'm in at church and they had this one that had a gorgeous Celtic cover.  Green with a lovely Celtic knot on the front.  Only it was a compact version. The box said "Large Print" but when I opened it, the print was so unbelievably tiny that I was squinting to read it.

Last time I checked, this is not large print.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9228 on: September 25, 2012, 09:03:16 PM »
when I go for new glasses and almost fall off my chair when they tell me the final cost! 

I just had that experience last week.  :-\
AND they messed up my prescription so I can't use my glasses when I work at the computer. Going back tomorrow, but I've got a suspicion that they're going to try to talk me into buying a second set of "computer glasses" instead of fixing the problem.

Oh that stinks. I do feel better though, having priced my lenses out online, and what I paid was actually less.  its the darn varilux progressives, super high index to make my coke bottle lenses thin enough carp that makes them so pricy.  but I did get some cute, very subtle, pink frames.  hehehehee

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #9229 on: September 26, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
I just got a card yesterday in my PO Box from UPS saying they couldn't deliver my package because it was to a PO Box and I have to go to a location far away from the PO to pick up a package. The card is dated the 19th, but I just got it yesterday (the 25th) and I have to pick up my package by today (the 26th) or they'll send it back. ARGH. And they're only open from 9:30-12 and 3:30-6. Real convenient.  >:(

Not to mention that I actually had a package delivered by UPS two days ago. Usually they'll leave it at the PO, or the address will get tagged when the shipper enters it so they know to ask for my house number. (And I can't give my house number for everything because then the workers at the PO get annoyed at having to match up my house address with my PO box, and they sort a lot more mail for me so I'd rather stay on their good side!) I've only had to pick up at the UPS pickup location once, and that was somewhere around 7 years ago. Not sure why they're so sketchy about it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:14:37 AM by BabyMama »

KimberlyM

« Reply #9230 on: September 26, 2012, 10:29:14 AM »
Why, even after years of instruction and passive aggressive reminders, can't my husband and teenage son figure out how to work ice cube trays?  Just once I'd like to get home from work, go to make myself a beverage and find a full ice cube bin and full trays.  They aren't that hard...really!

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #9231 on: September 26, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
When people mutter.  DH does it constantly and it drives me absolutely round the bend.  I have to make him repeat everything 3 times. And I only hear him when he shouts.  So I ask him kindly not to shout as it alarms DS and he goes back to mumbling under his breath again.  :o
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #9232 on: September 26, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »
The sound of the phone ringing, especially if I'm sitting near it.  It's so shrill and grating.  I think it's time for our phone to have a little "accident".  >:D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9233 on: September 26, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
When people mutter.  DH does it constantly and it drives me absolutely round the bend.  I have to make him repeat everything 3 times. And I only hear him when he shouts.  So I ask him kindly not to shout as it alarms DS and he goes back to mumbling under his breath again.  :o

I hear you.  It's gotten to the point where I'm starting to wonder if I'm the one with a hearing problem or if it could be that ALL of my family members mutter.  Sometimes when I'm really exasperated I pull a Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp version) and say "Mumbler" when they mutter.

It's really annoying when I ask my eldest to repeat himself and he only repeats part of his sentence.

"muttermuttermutter oatmeal cookies?"
"You muttered, what did you say?"
"Oatmeal cookies."
"What about them?"
"You know, the ones in the kitchen?"
"And what about them?"
"The oatmeal cookies!!" Gaaaaah!!!!

I've started telling them that if they don't make themselves heard, they're not getting what they ask for.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9234 on: September 26, 2012, 11:45:58 AM »

I hear you.  It's gotten to the point where I'm starting to wonder if I'm the one with a hearing problem or if it could be that ALL of my family members mutter.  Sometimes when I'm really exasperated I pull a Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp version) and say "Mumbler" when they mutter.

It's really annoying when I ask my eldest to repeat himself and he only repeats part of his sentence.

"Oatmeal cookies."
"What about them?"
"And what about them?"

I've started telling them that if they don't make themselves heard, they're not getting what they ask for.

Try this:

"Oatmeal cookies."
"What about them?"
"And what about them?"
"The oatmeal cookies!!"
"It would be nice for you to learn how to make oatmeal cookies.  I have a cookbook for you..."
"WHAT?  That's not what I said..."
"And I couldn't understand what you said.  Clarify, or I get to make up my own conversations."

Carotte

« Reply #9235 on: September 26, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »
The sound of the phone ringing, especially if I'm sitting near it.  It's so shrill and grating.  I think it's time for our phone to have a little "accident".  >:D

Unless it's an old phone can't you change the ringtone?
Ours came with half a dozen different ringtones and you can also set the volume, the phone must be around 8 years old ( landline, 3 cordless phone).

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #9236 on: September 26, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »

Unless it's an old phone can't you change the ringtone?
Ours came with half a dozen different ringtones and you can also set the volume, the phone must be around 8 years old ( landline, 3 cordless phone).

I don't know much about it, but it only has the one ringtone.  I'm kinda stuck with it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9237 on: September 26, 2012, 12:08:07 PM »

"Oatmeal cookies."
"What about them?"
"And what about them?"

Try this:

"Oatmeal cookies."
"What about them?"
"And what about them?"
"The oatmeal cookies!!"
"It would be nice for you to learn how to make oatmeal cookies.  I have a cookbook for you..."
"WHAT?  That's not what I said..."
"And I couldn't understand what you said.  Clarify, or I get to make up my own conversations."

LOL! Love that one! :):)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9238 on: September 26, 2012, 03:24:54 PM »
Why, even after years of instruction and passive aggressive reminders, can't my husband and teenage son figure out how to work ice cube trays?  Just once I'd like to get home from work, go to make myself a beverage and find a full ice cube bin and full trays.  They aren't that hard...really!
Maybe they forgot the recipe?  It's here: http://www.food.com/recipe/ice-cubes-420398 Post it on the door to the freezer -- and be sure to read the comments!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:29:14 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

KimberlyM

« Reply #9239 on: September 26, 2012, 03:30:26 PM »
Printing now!  ;D