Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1841692 times)

KimberlyM

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9285 on: September 28, 2012, 01:24:55 PM »
Being short gets annoying some days.  For the most part I'm cool with my height, or lack thereof, but there are times when it's just really inconvenient!

Case in point: Baby gates. We have 4 in our house.  Top and bottom of the stairs, as well as one cutting off the entrance to the office, the other cutting off the hallway that leads to the bathroom and basement stairs.  (both hallways lead to the kitchen, we think our house might have at one point been in the works to become a duplex and it was an abandoned effort)

The gates on the stairs don't need to be stepped over, they swing open, but being on a bit of a budget we just got your typical pressure gates and oh they are not fun to try and step over when one is a short-legged thing like me. Especially when Piratebabe is on the other side of the gate and I'm having to step over the gate AND him to get to the living room. When DH is more settled into this job I'm going to look into pressure mounted gates that have swinging doors built in, if you know what I mean.

This is what I'm talking about : http://www.target.com/p/regalo-white-easy-step-walk-through-gate/-/A-13800334  At Target they're affordable it seems but other places they're around 30-40.

I have the same problem, but I learned recently to just take them down and put them back up once through.  My husband, about a month ago was stepping over the one into the office and caught his baby toe on the edge.  Snapped the bone clean in half.  It was seriously disgusting.  So I no longer risk the climb!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9286 on: September 28, 2012, 01:39:32 PM »
Being short gets annoying some days.  For the most part I'm cool with my height, or lack thereof, but there are times when it's just really inconvenient!

Case in point: Baby gates. We have 4 in our house.  Top and bottom of the stairs, as well as one cutting off the entrance to the office, the other cutting off the hallway that leads to the bathroom and basement stairs.  (both hallways lead to the kitchen, we think our house might have at one point been in the works to become a duplex and it was an abandoned effort)

The gates on the stairs don't need to be stepped over, they swing open, but being on a bit of a budget we just got your typical pressure gates and oh they are not fun to try and step over when one is a short-legged thing like me. Especially when Piratebabe is on the other side of the gate and I'm having to step over the gate AND him to get to the living room. When DH is more settled into this job I'm going to look into pressure mounted gates that have swinging doors built in, if you know what I mean.

This is what I'm talking about : http://www.target.com/p/regalo-white-easy-step-walk-through-gate/-/A-13800334  At Target they're affordable it seems but other places they're around 30-40.

I have the same problem, but I learned recently to just take them down and put them back up once through.  My husband, about a month ago was stepping over the one into the office and caught his baby toe on the edge.  Snapped the bone clean in half.  It was seriously disgusting.  So I no longer risk the climb!

Yikes!!  Ours are a pain in the posterior to put back up so we usually only take them down when the munchkin's down for a nap or for the night.  Or when they fall down. Which they do, often.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #9287 on: September 28, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »
When people say to give 110%.  100% is maximum, you can't give any more than that.

This. Louis Walsh used to do it on X Factor. DH and I call it affirmation inflation.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Cleargleam

« Reply #9288 on: September 28, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »
I talked with an annoying co-worker - one of only 4 females regularly in the office, and the one with the office closest to my space - to ask if she was wearing a new cologne, and to tell her that I hated to ask but unfortunately the scent was giving me a headache.

She changes cologne randomly, and didn't believe the scented oil she had applied to her wrists might be the problem. Since then, she's worn that same oil twice more. <facepalm>

Our office is too small to have an HR - is there anything more I can do except ask her if she is wearing that oil again, since *again* I have a headache from it? 

AustenFan

« Reply #9289 on: September 28, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »
When people say to give 110%.  100% is maximum, you can't give any more than that.

This. Louis Walsh used to do it on X Factor. DH and I call it affirmation inflation.

I hate when reality show contestants interview mid-show that they've got to bring their A game, step up their efforts, etc. It makes it sound like they have been coasting up to that point and are just now going to start exerting themselves.

MizA

• Every day is the best day ever.
« Reply #9290 on: September 28, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »
We're currently working on a major household purge- I moved in last January, and my goodness, do we have *stuff*. I'll be organizing in, say, the dining room. My partner will be in, oh, the office- on the other side of the house- going through things. He'll hold things up and ask if I want them.

Except, there's a couple of walls and a staircase between us. And neither my xray vision nor my psychic powers are currently working so well. I've explained how astoundingly annoying it is. And the above re: powers, vision, etc. Still...

He'll expect that I drop what I'm doing to assess. I ignore him. Or do the same thing back. Or text him "Hrm?" But he just doesn't stop!
)'( The world would rather hug you than hurt you )'(

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9291 on: September 28, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
Ugh, that is annoying.

Makes me think of a pet peeve of mine.  Say he's in the kitchen (at the back of the house) and I'm in the living room (front of the house) and while they are not far from each other, it can be hard to hear each other when calling to each other across the house.

So inevitably, this occurs. 

DH: Pirate, could you-
Babe: NANANANANANANA!!!!!! Boys: Leave me alone, I'm trying to get this done!/I'm not doing anything to you!"
Me: I didn't hear you, what was that?
DH: Boys, be quiet. I said could you-
Babe: DADADADADABABABA!!!!
Me: Just come in here and tell me what it is.

Okay so you get the idea, conversations cannot be held across the house, since while we can ask the older two to be quiet, the baby doesn't know what "hush" means.

Yet see what happens in reverse:

Me: Hey honey, did you talk to your mom to see when she was coming up?
DH: What? I couldn't hear you over the running water, you know we can't hear each other across the house!

Two days later:

"Hey, Pirate, did you get any more g-"
BABABABA!!!!!!!!!!
"...nevermind."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #9292 on: September 30, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
When my applications for grad school are taking forever to show up online. I know that there's a lot of processing on both my current school's and my potential grad schools' ends. But it's nerve-wracking to not know where I stand.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #9293 on: September 30, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »
When my applications for grad school are taking forever to show up online. I know that there's a lot of processing on both my current school's and my potential grad schools' ends. But it's nerve-wracking to not know where I stand.

We're waiting to find out if we get the house we're trying to buy, and the waiting part is the worst!.  Wish you the best, though. 

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #9294 on: October 01, 2012, 05:49:53 AM »
When having a conversation with someone and the conversation has ended, I wait a few seconds before walking away to give them time to say anything else but when I actually do walk away and I'm a good 3-5 meters away they decide to start a conversation again. This happened FOUR TIMES with someone in ONE CONVERSATION before I lost it. She still does it but it stops for a while after a frank point out. Also If I'm in a different room doing dishes/cooking/vacuuming/something noisy, why on earth do you think I can hear you across the house?!? Just because you can see someone doesn't mean they can hear you. Having someone trying to talk to me while I was mowing the lawn is very stupid. They got offended when I turned the mower off, faced them and crosses my arms and gave them my full attention. Mowing a lawn with a distraction like that can be dangerous, as with power tools. If I'm wearing ear protection why the frack do you think I can hear you anyway?. Also don't yank my ear muffs off if you want my attention - it's the apex of idiocy. I was wielding a circular saw at the time and it could've ended very badly for the both of us.

I feel better now

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:08:09 AM by Zenith »

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #9295 on: October 01, 2012, 05:58:11 AM »
when I go for new glasses and almost fall off my chair when they tell me the final cost!  Mind you, I am blind as a bat and wear progressives, soooo not cheap.  But when they tell you it will be $1050 WITH the 30% discount.  OUCH. thanfkully insurance and flex spending will covefr half, so the rest isn't all that bad.

Ordering online, or going to Costco or BJs isn't really an option either.  My prescription is a bit tricky, so I feel more comfortable going somewhere I know will do a good job.

It might be worth looking into laser eye surgery. A friend recently had it done and he had coke bottle glasses that cost $500-1000 bucks a year to replace so he bit the bullet and paid $5400 and no more glasses except maybe OTC reading ones in 5-10 years. He had the more invasive procedure and had to have his eyes shut for a week. The other surgery you can see in a day. Some insurance companies cover the surgery. My cousin's cost's were fully covered but my friend's wasn't and he has to pay for it fully himself. Same surgery for both just different insurance companies.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9296 on: October 01, 2012, 06:58:00 AM »
When having a conversation with someone and the conversation has ended, I wait a few seconds before walking away to give them time to say anything else but when I actually do walk away and I'm a good 3-5 meters away they decide to start a conversation again. This happened FOUR TIMES with someone in ONE CONVERSATION before I lost it. She still does it but it stops for a while after a frank point out. Also If I'm in a different room doing dishes/cooking/vacuuming/something noisy, why on earth do you think I can hear you across the house?!? Just because you can see someone doesn't mean they can hear you. Having someone trying to talk to me while I was mowing the lawn is very stupid. They got offended when I turned the mower off, faced them and crosses my arms and gave them my full attention. Mowing a lawn with a distraction like that can be dangerous, as with power tools. If I'm wearing ear protection why the frack do you think I can hear you anyway?. Also don't yank my ear muffs off if you want my attention - it's the apex of idiocy. I was wielding a circular saw at the time and it could've ended very badly for the both of us.

I feel better now

That behavior is usually deliberate.  I have experienced another version of it, the person who leaves a few seconds and then interrupts when I start talking again.  It's a power play and I don't put up with it anymore.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #9297 on: October 01, 2012, 12:24:46 PM »
When my DH and I are trying to decide on stuff, and for whatever reason he doesn't hear me (bad cell phone reception, noisy room, what have you) and he says "Yes" like he heard instead of saying "What? I didn't hear."

The other day we were speaking on the phone about afternoon errands. We both had to make stops but one of us had to be home by a certain time to pick up DD. DH said he didn't know how long his errand would take. I said, "Ok, well, we'll both run our first errands and then whoever gets done first can call the other one and that person can run the second errand, and the other person can go pick up DD." To which I got a, "Sounds good. ... so I'm just coming into town now, and am stopping at SecondErrandStore."

I asked if he'd heard anything I'd said before. "I heard something about running the second errand..." To which I reiterated what I'd said earlier. And then he replied, "Okay, I'll let you know when I'm done here at SecondErrandStore." AHHH.

He later admitted that he hadn't heard anything I'd said. So then don't agree to stuff if you don't know what you're agreeing to, dude!! (He did understand what I'd meant when I explained it to him without cell phone fuzziness, so it wasn't me being complicated, I swear!)
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9298 on: October 01, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »
when I go for new glasses and almost fall off my chair when they tell me the final cost!  Mind you, I am blind as a bat and wear progressives, soooo not cheap.  But when they tell you it will be $1050 WITH the 30% discount.  OUCH. thanfkully insurance and flex spending will covefr half, so the rest isn't all that bad.

Ordering online, or going to Costco or BJs isn't really an option either.  My prescription is a bit tricky, so I feel more comfortable going somewhere I know will do a good job.

It might be worth looking into laser eye surgery. A friend recently had it done and he had coke bottle glasses that cost $500-1000 bucks a year to replace so he bit the bullet and paid $5400 and no more glasses except maybe OTC reading ones in 5-10 years. He had the more invasive procedure and had to have his eyes shut for a week. The other surgery you can see in a day. Some insurance companies cover the surgery. My cousin's cost's were fully covered but my friend's wasn't and he has to pay for it fully himself. Same surgery for both just different insurance companies.

Sadly, due to other issues, I'm not a good candidate for it, and am also a big, fat chicken even if I was.  Othher docs have told me its possible, but my new one, who I trust and like a lot, said I'm really not a good candidate, so that's that.  I will however, remember the place I normally go for glasses does 50% off lenses a couple times a year, and hold off until then.  that's what I did last time, which is why they were much less.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #9299 on: October 01, 2012, 01:06:31 PM »
When my DH and I are trying to decide on stuff, and for whatever reason he doesn't hear me (bad cell phone reception, noisy room, what have you) and he says "Yes" like he heard instead of saying "What? I didn't hear."

The other day we were speaking on the phone about afternoon errands. We both had to make stops but one of us had to be home by a certain time to pick up DD. DH said he didn't know how long his errand would take. I said, "Ok, well, we'll both run our first errands and then whoever gets done first can call the other one and that person can run the second errand, and the other person can go pick up DD." To which I got a, "Sounds good. ... so I'm just coming into town now, and am stopping at SecondErrandStore."

I asked if he'd heard anything I'd said before. "I heard something about running the second errand..." To which I reiterated what I'd said earlier. And then he replied, "Okay, I'll let you know when I'm done here at SecondErrandStore." AHHH.

He later admitted that he hadn't heard anything I'd said. So then don't agree to stuff if you don't know what you're agreeing to, dude!! (He did understand what I'd meant when I explained it to him without cell phone fuzziness, so it wasn't me being complicated, I swear!)

Gish used to do that, except the answer to everything instead of “Yes” would be “That’s cool” or “That sucks.” Drove me crazy. I started just blathering non-sequitur stuff at him to the point that now his ears are trained and if he hears me going on about aliens or goats he knows I know he is not paying attention.
I do love me a goat-stealing alien story.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem