Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1749065 times)

Adelaide

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9300 on: October 01, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
I have this need to be right all the time that's like an itch I can't scratch. Today I spent twenty minutes typing a long-winded reply to one of those mass-panic chain e-mails that my mother likes to send me. "A scammer is going to call your cell phone and tell you to dial #90, CRUD MONKEYS!!" In the process of replying to this baloney I learned way too much about Private Branch Exchange vs. Centrex and the intricacies of cell phones. It got me nowhere but I Was Right Darn It, and that's all that matters. If I could turn the incessant need to be right off I would have a happy life.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9301 on: October 01, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »
I have this need to be right all the time that's like an itch I can't scratch. Today I spent twenty minutes typing a long-winded reply to one of those mass-panic chain e-mails that my mother likes to send me. "A scammer is going to call your cell phone and tell you to dial #90, CRUD MONKEYS!!" In the process of replying to this baloney I learned way too much about Private Branch Exchange vs. Centrex and the intricacies of cell phones. It got me nowhere but I Was Right Darn It, and that's all that matters. If I could turn the incessant need to be right off I would have a happy life.

I feel your pain as I am one of those, as well as a  control freak.  Nothing irks me more than having to watch someone do something that isn't the way I'D do it. Cooking is on example.  My one friend will have me over for dinner, and I usualy end up taking over, which she's fine with :) - but I hate that I do it.  But it makes me twitch having to watch someone do something I *think* I can do better.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9302 on: October 01, 2012, 03:24:21 PM »

I feel your pain as I am one of those, as well as a  control freak.  Nothing irks me more than having to watch someone do something that isn't the way I'D do it. Cooking is on example.  My one friend will have me over for dinner, and I usualy end up taking over, which she's fine with :) - but I hate that I do it.  But it makes me twitch having to watch someone do something I *think* I can do better.

I have the most annoying variant... the need to be right ON THE INTERNET.  Yes, I am *that* person.  Mind you, I admit when I'm wrong, but if I'm arguing that Pi is 3.14, and someone says "actually, it's just 3"... ooooh, I'll spend weeks in that discussion.

The problem is, my personal philosophy is "of *course* I think I'm right... why would I argue a position I think is wrong?!"

Pippen

« Reply #9303 on: October 01, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
My Dad (80) got a laptop and the internet about a year ago. He loves it. My mother does not. Every time they disagree about something he say "I'll just go an look it up on the internet." It drives her batty.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9304 on: October 01, 2012, 03:55:35 PM »
I have this need to be right all the time that's like an itch I can't scratch. Today I spent twenty minutes typing a long-winded reply to one of those mass-panic chain e-mails that my mother likes to send me. "A scammer is going to call your cell phone and tell you to dial #90, CRUD MONKEYS!!"
www.snopes.com.  99.98% of those mass emails can be debunked here in about 90 seconds.

I feel for you.  My mother sends me several of those a week.  Some of them multiple times, several months apart. because she doesn't remember that I told her the last 3 times "Mom, that medicine hasn't been on the shelf for 10 flippin' years!"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Cami

« Reply #9305 on: October 01, 2012, 04:51:35 PM »
People who have to be right all the time. Especially when they are not, but are convinced they are, because in their minds, if they think it, it must be so.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #9306 on: October 01, 2012, 05:03:21 PM »
People who have to be right all the time. Especially when they are not, but are convinced they are, because in their minds, if they think it, it must be so.

Nuh-uh!

>:D------------------------------running------------------------------------>
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #9307 on: October 02, 2012, 10:47:22 AM »
Ugh, here's one. When sellers obviously profit off shipping. I bought a box of chocolates off a deal site, and only after buying I realized that it was for store pick-up. I e-mailed the store owner and asked if I could possibly have them shipped; if not, I could rearrange a pickup. She said no problem, they ship all the time, and shipping would be $10--which was nearly half the purchase price (it was $30 worth of chocolate for $15.) I assumed for that price she'd be shipping in some temperature-controlled type box with a cold pack or something, as it was early summer.

Nope. The box showed up with a sticker showing she had paid $2.80 to ship my box in a regular box. $10 shipping for 8 pieces of chocolate. She basically made up most of the price "lost" by the online deal. Her chocolates were beautiful, but the gross overcharge left a really, really bad, un-chocolatelike taste in my mouth.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9308 on: October 02, 2012, 10:55:16 AM »
Ugh, here's one. When sellers obviously profit off shipping. I bought a box of chocolates off a deal site, and only after buying I realized that it was for store pick-up. I e-mailed the store owner and asked if I could possibly have them shipped; if not, I could rearrange a pickup. She said no problem, they ship all the time, and shipping would be $10--which was nearly half the purchase price (it was $30 worth of chocolate for $15.) I assumed for that price she'd be shipping in some temperature-controlled type box with a cold pack or something, as it was early summer.

Nope. The box showed up with a sticker showing she had paid $2.80 to ship my box in a regular box. $10 shipping for 8 pieces of chocolate. She basically made up most of the price "lost" by the online deal. Her chocolates were beautiful, but the gross overcharge left a really, really bad, un-chocolatelike taste in my mouth.

Some Ebay sellers are notorious for this.  They advertise a really ridiculously low price for something and then absolutely gouge you on the shipping. 

Adelaide

« Reply #9309 on: October 02, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »

I'm the same way. I tried to buy $12 worth of bulk highlighters that were advertised at like 68-72 cents apiece. Shipping ended up being about $7, and the company is even in the same state as I am. I was not pleased.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #9310 on: October 02, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »
I have this need to be right all the time that's like an itch I can't scratch. Today I spent twenty minutes typing a long-winded reply to one of those mass-panic chain e-mails that my mother likes to send me. "A scammer is going to call your cell phone and tell you to dial #90, CRUD MONKEYS!!"
www.snopes.com.  99.98% of those mass emails can be debunked here in about 90 seconds.

I feel for you.  My mother sends me several of those a week.  Some of them multiple times, several months apart. because she doesn't remember that I told her the last 3 times "Mom, that medicine hasn't been on the shelf for 10 flippin' years!"

My dad is starting to do this. If he sends me another "Political Party is EEeeeBillllll! Look at this unsubstantiated claim to prove it!" email, I'm afraid I'm going to respond by pasting a Snopes link into an email with the text: "Dad, stop. You're computer literate and have been for a while. Stop forwarding things like Grandma does."

I'm trying to be a good daughter and let him have his opinions, but Errrgh!
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9311 on: October 02, 2012, 11:17:50 AM »

I have the most annoying variant... the need to be right ON THE INTERNET.  Yes, I am *that* person.  Mind you, I admit when I'm wrong, but if I'm arguing that Pi is 3.14, and someone says "actually, it's just 3"... ooooh, I'll spend weeks in that discussion.

The problem is, my personal philosophy is "of *course* I think I'm right... why would I argue a position I think is wrong?!"

And speaking of the Internet, anytime anyone asks something, or something comes up in conversation that I/we don't know, I have this compulsion to look it up RIGHT THEN AND THERE.  I just have to satisfy my curisity and I hate having to wait if I can't.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #9312 on: October 02, 2012, 11:39:18 AM »

I'm the same way. I tried to buy $12 worth of bulk highlighters that were advertised at like 68-72 cents apiece. Shipping ended up being about $7, and the company is even in the same state as I am. I was not pleased.

Inflated shipping costs may be my Number One pet peeve.   >:( 

It's the main reason I finally broke down and signed up for Amazon Prime.  Yes, I had to pay $70 join, but every single one of my purchases since then has been shipped free.  And I buy a LOT from Amazon. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9313 on: October 02, 2012, 11:44:41 AM »

On the flip side - buyers who complain that when sellers charge more for shipping than the post office. Of course - it includes packaging, insurance and time for doing all the packaging, standing in line, etc.

I am not saying that there aren't people profiting from shipping but, at the same time, it isn't fair to expect to be charged just the post office rate.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:46:35 AM by lady_disdain »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9314 on: October 02, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »
When a television program that should know better (yes, History Channel, I'm looking at YOU!) confuses "sling" and "slingshot".  THIS is a sling:

And the sling in use:

THIS is a slingshot:

They're NOT the same thing!  Slings are extremely old, reaching back into prehistory; slingshots didn't come into being until the 19th century, with the invention of strong elastic vulcanized rubber.

It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.