Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1637890 times)

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9390 on: October 08, 2012, 02:51:46 AM »
My tablet. I love my tablet, but right now it's driving me up the wall.

Every time it connects to the internet, it says to install the new update.
I *have* installed the update.
I've installed it three times.

And it is still telling me to install it.
Grrrrrr.

I'm having the same problem with FlashPlayer. 4 updates and counting for the same blasted version. Had the same problem with Adobe before that. Where is the hair pulling smiley when you need it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9391 on: October 08, 2012, 05:40:18 AM »
OPPS instead of OOPS.

I was beginning to think I was the only person who ever noticed that.

No...no, you're not. I can't believe how many people type it that way and I still haven't figured out whether it's a really common typo or whether that's the way people think it's spelled.

What's insane is that I see one "oops" for every ten "opps".

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #9392 on: October 08, 2012, 05:42:57 AM »
People who write without using punctuation. My SIL does this, and it makes her FB status updates and emails hard to read. And on the flipside, people who use groups of dots everywhere in their sentences. So...it is just annoying you know....there are dots everywhere....like people need to pause and think every few words....and then keep the . button pressed....and the line just keeps going on....

When I wake up at 4.00 am in the morning and can't sleep. And I finally fall back asleep 10 minutes before my alarm clock goes off. It happens often now, mostly due to my pregnancy (big belly, uncomfortable sleeping position, baby kicking me awake). It gets a bit more depressing when I'm sitting there with bags under my eyes and I know that this is probably the most awake I will be for the coming 2 years :p

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #9393 on: October 08, 2012, 06:58:00 AM »
My iPad requires me to enter the pass code for the sim about once a week. Good thing I kept it. But it is annoying.

Victoria

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #9394 on: October 08, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »
I am guilty of ellipsis abuse personally.  I don't know... maybe I need someone to help break me of that.   Something like an elliptical trainer.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #9395 on: October 08, 2012, 08:07:17 AM »
When DH yells at me for not doing a certain chore, while we never agreed that it was my duty - so we are both responsible. To give an example: Last week he was fussing because the inside of the oven was a bit greasy. He asked me in an annoyed tone why I hadn't cleaned it yet. I responded with 'well, why haven't you?'.
Just to be clear; he uses the oven way more than I do!

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #9396 on: October 08, 2012, 08:38:25 AM »
Well, it happened again. My SIL didn't show up for another family event. The thing is, she doesn't bring a whole lot to the table in terms of company or party quality--but it's just downright rude (this event was MIL's birthday, for heck's sake.) And she doesn't call to tell them courteously that she won't be coming, she just doesn't show up. She also goes to the trouble of telling the whole Facebook world just how sick she is. Her mystery illnesses always begin ~12 hours before the event, and somehow are gone by the next day so she can go camping/to the lake/drinking/what have you. Every time she posts "I'm sick" I have to stop myself from replying with something snarky. (And at this point I'm sure lots of people are saying, "Well, she could be legitimately sick..." Trust me, I've been with DH for 10 years. Once in a while? Sure. 90% of all events? Seems a bit unlikely.) The rudeness just ticks me off to no degree. Have I mentioned that they live less than two miles from FIL/MIL??

The kicker was when I was talking to her son last night. I mentioned that I saw that SIL wasn't feeling well. "No, she just didn't want to come."  >:(

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #9397 on: October 08, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »
Oh, and another one. People who are snarky about technology when you've never done a THING to brag about it, force it on them, etc. Last night DH was showing his dad a video of DD at a festival, and FIL, who enjoyed it, thought DH should show his neighbor, who expressed interest in wanting to see the video too. So DH goes over to Neighbor and starts pulling up the video. "Ugh," says the neighbor rolling his eyes and sighing. "I am SO sick of smartphones."

Really? It's not like DH pulled his phone out and was like, "Hey, Neighbor! Look how great my smartphone is! It's so awesome. What kind of phone do you have? What? You still have a flip phone? What is this, 1990? You should really get a smart phone, because of x, xx, and xxx."

We hear SO much PA commentary re: our phones from that side of the family it's unbelievable. Honestly, we don't shove them in peoples' faces, I swear! Last Thanksgiving BIL asked DH to pull up the football score because we were in a place without a TV and radio. DH did, and then went somewhere else to do something. After he left, DH and his dad and uncles all bemoaned smartphones and ragged on them terribly. Nevermind that you just benefited from said smartphone... ::)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #9398 on: October 08, 2012, 08:56:54 AM »
When someone tells me to calm down. Really annoying. In whatever situation, those two words are enough to make me want to lose all control and reason.  Especially if uttered in a condescending or patronising tone.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

exitzero

« Reply #9399 on: October 08, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
Well, it happened again. My SIL didn't show up for another family event. The thing is, she doesn't bring a whole lot to the table in terms of company or party quality--but it's just downright rude (this event was MIL's birthday, for heck's sake.) And she doesn't call to tell them courteously that she won't be coming, she just doesn't show up. She also goes to the trouble of telling the whole Facebook world just how sick she is. Her mystery illnesses always begin ~12 hours before the event, and somehow are gone by the next day so she can go camping/to the lake/drinking/what have you. Every time she posts "I'm sick" I have to stop myself from replying with something snarky. (And at this point I'm sure lots of people are saying, "Well, she could be legitimately sick..." Trust me, I've been with DH for 10 years. Once in a while? Sure. 90% of all events? Seems a bit unlikely.) The rudeness just ticks me off to no degree. Have I mentioned that they live less than two miles from FIL/MIL??

The kicker was when I was talking to her son last night. I mentioned that I saw that SIL wasn't feeling well. "No, she just didn't want to come."  >:(

Sounds like my niece and her "sick" baby. If that baby was as sick as often as she said, it's a wonder he grew up.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #9400 on: October 08, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
Oh, and another one. People who are snarky about technology when you've never done a THING to brag about it, force it on them, etc. Last night DH was showing his dad a video of DD at a festival, and FIL, who enjoyed it, thought DH should show his neighbor, who expressed interest in wanting to see the video too. So DH goes over to Neighbor and starts pulling up the video. "Ugh," says the neighbor rolling his eyes and sighing. "I am SO sick of smartphones."

Really? It's not like DH pulled his phone out and was like, "Hey, Neighbor! Look how great my smartphone is! It's so awesome. What kind of phone do you have? What? You still have a flip phone? What is this, 1990? You should really get a smart phone, because of x, xx, and xxx."

We hear SO much PA commentary re: our phones from that side of the family it's unbelievable. Honestly, we don't shove them in peoples' faces, I swear! Last Thanksgiving BIL asked DH to pull up the football score because we were in a place without a TV and radio. DH did, and then went somewhere else to do something. After he left, DH and his dad and uncles all bemoaned smartphones and ragged on them terribly. Nevermind that you just benefited from said smartphone... ::)

Conversely, going from having a lovely smartphone to a dumber one.   :)

I finally got rid of my user-friendly, easy, simple series of "regular" phones earlier this year, when we renewed our cell contract, and we all got Droids.  (We had actually got them a couple years ago, but my own was horrible, a lemon, and I could *not* use the thing, nor did I particularly care, so I got a simple slide phone.)  The new Droid was a joy; I sat and played with it for an hour and learned to use it and all its functions very capably.  I was a happy gal.

Then, it started to get all wonky on me.  It would power down randomly, and take forever to turn itself back on.  I decided I would go down to the Cell Co. store and exchange it for the same model, but just then disaster struck.  One day early in summer, I was talking to my mom, holding the phone between my ear and shoulder as I was walking out the back door with the dogs, carrying a soda in one hand.  As I opened the door and stepped out onto the little cement patio, it fell, and the glass shattered.  At that point, I knew it would be pointless to bring it down for exchange, as they would never believe that its problems did not originate when I dropped it.  And, STBX had not taken insurance out on the phones, so I was out of luck.  Not wanting to spend $$$ on another Droid, I wound up with a refurbished older Blackberry, which I hate.  I hate the rolly-ball; I hate that it has only one single alarm setting; I hate that it can store only like ten pictures; I hate that the camera turns itself on via the side button just being carried in my purse; I hate that there is no touch-screen option, even though I used the keyboard way more on the Droid. 

As far as typos, I cringe when I see "the" where "they" was intended.  My kid teases me about that. 

Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

EmmaJ.

« Reply #9401 on: October 08, 2012, 10:14:10 AM »
I am guilty of ellipsis abuse personally.  I don't know... maybe I need someone to help break me of that.   Something like an elliptical trainer.

;D

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9402 on: October 08, 2012, 10:17:37 AM »

Heh heh, icwudt
Words mean things.

Cami

« Reply #9403 on: October 08, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »

My MIL was famous (or infamous) for her "shooting pains" whenever there was a family event and she was not the pre-designated center of attention (such as for her birthday or anniversary).  For a long time, she used these "shooting pains" to then turn every pre-event time into a huge kerfluffle about her illnesses, whether she'd make it or not, whether she needed to go the ER or not, etc. Finally people wised up and started saying, "Well, that's a shame. You're such a saint for living with these pains, but we totally understand that you can't make it. We'll say a prayer for you." And amazingly, her "shooting pains" stopped.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #9404 on: October 08, 2012, 10:33:21 AM »
When someone tells me to calm down. Really annoying. In whatever situation, those two words are enough to make me want to lose all control and reason.  Especially if uttered in a condescending or patronising tone.

For me, it was always "now, don't get angry."  Guess what? Nothing cheesed me off like that sentence.