Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1621419 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9405 on: October 08, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
A really little one: when the blinker of the car in front of me is out of sync with MY blinker!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9406 on: October 08, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
When someone tells me to calm down. Really annoying. In whatever situation, those two words are enough to make me want to lose all control and reason.  Especially if uttered in a condescending or patronising tone.

For me, it was always "now, don't get angry."  Guess what? Nothing cheesed me off like that sentence.

Or "Well don't cry about it!" or "You're not going to cry now are you?" I promise, I'm not a crybaby but I do wear my heart on my sleeve, usually, so when people say something nasty enough to make me cry, I'm going to, dangit.  Even more annoying though is that I cry when I get mad. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

diesel_darlin

« Reply #9407 on: October 08, 2012, 12:26:34 PM »
When they take a perfectly good movie and re make it.  >:(

Or on the flip side, when you read the IMDb message board of a masterpiece and see threads saying "It's time they remade this."

Agreed.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #9408 on: October 08, 2012, 12:31:31 PM »
When someone tells me to calm down. Really annoying. In whatever situation, those two words are enough to make me want to lose all control and reason.  Especially if uttered in a condescending or patronising tone.

For me, it was always "now, don't get angry."  Guess what? Nothing cheesed me off like that sentence.

Or "Well don't cry about it!" or "You're not going to cry now are you?" I promise, I'm not a crybaby but I do wear my heart on my sleeve, usually, so when people say something nasty enough to make me cry, I'm going to, dangit.  Even more annoying though is that I cry when I get mad.

My sister is the queen of saying something horridly offensive and then saying "YOU NEED TO CHILL" when you get upset. Well gee thanks there, sis! No better way to calm me down than offend me then tell me to calm down.  :-\

You too, huh? That is the one thing that I absolutely LOATHE about myself. Tick me off, and Im going to cry. I dont want to cry, I just do.

edited to fix quote.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:44:22 PM by diesel_darlin »

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #9409 on: October 08, 2012, 12:39:05 PM »
Then, on the flip side, for every one of us "legitimate criers", there's some drama queen who gets weepy as a form of manipulation and who abuses people who show any compassion. My cousin is like this and I can't really blame my aunt for not "getting" right away that I wasn't just doing it for attention.
Utah

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #9410 on: October 08, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »
I cry through frustration or anger. Very rarely because I'm actually upset these days. I know someone who manipulates through tears. It's annoying and drives me crazy but still I console her. Gah darned maternal streak lol!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Elessarion

• As I swam ashore, I dried myself to save time.
« Reply #9411 on: October 08, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »
At the moment my FB feed is full of my friends and family discussing the X-factor and it's totally driving me up the wall!

I appreciate that people enjoy the singing or other reality shows, but what annoys me is people who take it far too seriously when someone they like gets eliminated. I don't get why people are surprised that sometimes reality shows are fixed or the results are manipulated - they're there to make money and gain ratings, not to be fair. It's like the contestants on Big Brother who complain that sometimes the footage is edited to make them look bad - because that's what drives up the ratings! You'd think after so many years they'd have figured this out lol.

So yes, reality shows drive me up the wall a bit (there are far too many now too) but people enjoy them. People taking them too seriously is what makes me crazy lol!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9412 on: October 08, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »

That's called Gaslighting.

Moray

« Reply #9413 on: October 08, 2012, 03:09:06 PM »

That's called Gaslighting.

Telling someone to CALM DOWN! is counterproductive and can be mean, but Gaslighting it ain't.

Gaslighting is where the abuser presents false information and calls the victim "crazy", or otherwise implies they're losing their mind if they do not adopt the "new reality". It comes from this play.
Utah

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9414 on: October 08, 2012, 03:40:55 PM »
I know where it comes from and I have experienced the attempt.

Moray

« Reply #9415 on: October 08, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »

That does not make your use of the terminology any less incorrect :)
Utah

blueyzca01

« Reply #9416 on: October 08, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »
I knew people who would cry poor when their kid needed formula/diapers/etc. but then they'd go out and buy a carton of cigarettes or a bottle of pricey booze.

Hey, you gotta have priorities!!
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #9417 on: October 08, 2012, 04:47:42 PM »

That does not make your use of the terminology any less incorrect :)

I can totally see someone saying "Calm down" fitting into the definition of gaslighting. Depends on the circumstances. I'm visualizing Person A saying something insulting or upsetting to Person B. Person B subsequently gets upset or offended, whereupon Person A tells her to calm down, the implication being that there was nothing offensive about what Person A said even though Person A did intend offense.

Person A is trying to convince Person B that she completely misheard what was said, or miscontrued its intent, or has no right to be upset under the circumstances.

It's more subtle than outright telling someone she's nuts, but it's the same sort of maneuver.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #9418 on: October 08, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »
When DH yells at me for not doing a certain chore, while we never agreed that it was my duty - so we are both responsible. To give an example: Last week he was fussing because the inside of the oven was a bit greasy. He asked me in an annoyed tone why I hadn't cleaned it yet. I responded with 'well, why haven't you?'.
Just to be clear; he uses the oven way more than I do!

I remember the time my mother was ironing the shirt that went with my dad's Air Force uniform, and my dad made some comment about how long it was taking her to do this.  She handed him the iron and the shirt and said, "Go for it."  An hour later my dad was still ironing and cussing.  He never did anything like that again.  I told Mr. Sirius that story when we got married and told him I fully intended to follow my mother's example, and he's never complained about how I do housework to this day, because he knows that if he complains about how how I do something the job's his from that moment on.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9419 on: October 08, 2012, 05:47:31 PM »
I was going to have an RPG character immortalized via art commission.  (Her name is Tra'ska.  Yes, that's why I have the name. :D)  Anyway, the artist wrote back telling me that she couldn't do the art to my description because her English isn't that good, and she doesn't think she could do the character the way I wanted it.  Now, my problem is *not* her not having good English... I don't have good anything other than English, so I'm not going to slam someone for that.  My problem isn't her refusing... I'm not entitled to her services.  My problem is this: She wrote her ad in English, so she had to expect some replies in English.  What did she think was going to happen?  She'd get tons of requests of "Oh, my character's an elf", and that would be it?