Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1733506 times)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9420 on: October 08, 2012, 05:54:56 PM »
Ugh, here's another one. The election. I get so tired of the bashing. And the arrogance. Seriously, that's cool if you think your candidate is best. But what I want to hear is what he/she can do for me. Not what the other guy did or didn't do! Telling me 15 bad things the other guy did instead of telling me 15 good things your guy did isn't going to get me on your side.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9421 on: October 08, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
When I get my new, VERY expensive glasses, and can't see squat out of them. I will take them back for adjustments, but...I kind of think maybe the line between the distance and reading in my progressives is a bit off.  thankfully, if they still don't work, I can return for a full refund. And then go somewhere else.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #9422 on: October 08, 2012, 06:43:31 PM »
When I get my new, VERY expensive glasses, and can't see squat out of them. I will take them back for adjustments, but...I kind of think maybe the line between the distance and reading in my progressives is a bit off.  thankfully, if they still don't work, I can return for a full refund. And then go somewhere else.

Heh...I just finished typing up a thread about a very similar topic. I'm in the same boat and it's so frustrating!
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9423 on: October 08, 2012, 08:31:37 PM »

Heh...I just finished typing up a thread about a very similar topic. I'm in the same boat and it's so frustrating!

I saw, and responded! Very frustrating indeed!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9424 on: October 08, 2012, 08:40:16 PM »

Many times, a quick adjustment will fix this...either moving the nosepads out a bit or tweaking the frame so the bottom of the lenses are a bit closer to your face.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9425 on: October 08, 2012, 09:59:36 PM »
Ugh, here's another one. The election. I get so tired of the bashing. And the arrogance. Seriously, that's cool if you think your candidate is best. But what I want to hear is what he/she can do for me. Not what the other guy did or didn't do! Telling me 15 bad things the other guy did instead of telling me 15 good things your guy did isn't going to get me on your side.

I hear ya. As I told my bff when she mentioned the debate, which neither of us watched, "If I want to see two men arguing over who should be in charge, I'll watch Jack and Barbossa argue over who's the rightful Captain of the Black Pearl. At least that's funny."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9426 on: October 09, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »

Many times, a quick adjustment will fix this...either moving the nosepads out a bit or tweaking the frame so the bottom of the lenses are a bit closer to your face.

Had that done before, but I think this is a little more than just minor adjustments.  but we shall see when I go back.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #9427 on: October 10, 2012, 02:55:31 AM »
I haven't run into this one in a long time, but I found it still makes me cringe.  If I don't feel like signing on to YIM or one of the other IM chats for a day or two, whether it be because I need a little break or because I'm avoiding socializing with anyone, I don't appreciate being cornered in FaceBook chat with "Hey, sign in so we can talk!" or receiving a "note" on DeviantArt asking if I died.  ???  One day, people (not directed at anyone here, lol).  I can't take one day off?

I never know what to say, and the few times I tried to put a nice spin on "I just didn't feel like signing in today", I got a rather chilly reception for the next few days.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9428 on: October 10, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »
My church encourages its members to take a electronic fast 6 days a year. I have found it to be very refreshing. No email, facebook, internet, non-emergency calls, etc. I typically pick two weekends when I am on break from school to do it. I usually post on fb etc that I am taking a break from the world and will respond to anything that requires it when I return.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #9429 on: October 10, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »
One that's been getting to me lately. I have a lot of nature-inclined hippie friends, and that's fine. More power to them - I dabble in herbal medicine myself. But when they start spouting off against all scientific advances, except for the ones that seem to demand that mankind start shutting down industry?

If science is bad/evil/unreliable/should not be listened to when it produces medicine, GMO's, and nuclear power, then why is it good/holy/not to be questioned when man-caused global warming is the subject at hand?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9430 on: October 10, 2012, 12:22:40 PM »
People who whine and carry on about things, yet do nothing to make any changes.  My CW is like that.  She's a lovely person, but such a doormat, and complains endlessly about everything.  Today's was how her phone/cable etc. bill is SOOO high. Where we live, you havea couple choices; the cable company or a national phone company, or satellite.  I recently switched to the national phone co. and love it.  and was locked in for a fabulous rate for 2 years.  She's got the same but her promo ran out, so she's complaing about how much it is. I said call, and see what they say.  Say you might leave and go with local cable co. and see what they offer.  Her response?  "They'll proably just offer to take stuff away"  I said how do you know unless you ASK? And chances are, the more "forceful" you are about leaving, the more they might try and do to keep your business. 

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #9431 on: October 11, 2012, 10:34:02 AM »
Lots of little things in my condo are driving me up the wall right now. A few weeks ago, our washing machine froze up. The repair guy said it would be so expensive to fix that we might as well buy a new one. We have a stackable washer/dryer and he said we could buy any kind of washer as long as it was the same size as the old one. We decided to hold off until Columbus day weekend because we knew there would be sales.

Adding to the excitement, our refrigerator died on Saturday of Columbus day weekend (just after we'd done our grocery shopping for the week, of course). Whee! We saw that Sears was offering an additional 10% off for buying 2 large appliances, so we ordered both a refrigerator and a washer. We measured carefully and made sure to order a stackable washer with the correct dimensions.

They delivered yesterday. Everything was fine with the refrigerator except that the door opens on the left whereas the old one opened on the right. It's driving me a little nuts because there's counter space to the right of the refrigerator, but not to the left, and I'm used to setting my glass on the counter and opening the refrigerator to grab the pitcher and pour. But now I have to walk around to the left to open it, close it again to walk back around to the counter on the right (because our kitchen is narrow), pour, then walk back around to the left to open the refrigerator and replace the pitcher. Whatever, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

However, the delivery men said they couldn't install the washer because it was a different brand from the old one. I told them we'd measured and it would fit, but they insisted it had to "match" the dryer in order to be stacked with it. So we still have no washer and will have to buy one that's the same as the old model, which we didn't want to do because what kind of crappy washer only lasts 7 years?

Also, what kind of crappy refrigerator only lasts 7 years? My parents' bottom of the line refrigerator from when they moved into their house 25 years ago still works perfectly.

On top of that, our smoke detector decided to join the party and start chirping - in the middle of the night, of course. Replacing the battery didn't help and the smoke detector is obviously old and falling apart (there's even a little sticker inside that says to replace it by 2012), so we'll have to get a new one of those, too, and figure out how to install the thing.

Why must all my things fall apart at once???
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

snowfire

« Reply #9432 on: October 11, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »
I can't help with the washer, but.....

I've never met a modern refrigerator with a full width door that you can't reverse the opening side.  Since it is brand new, the guys who installed it should have done it.  Since they didn't, if you look at the top and bottom edges, there should be a place for the hinges on the opposite side from where they are now.  If there is, probably with little plastic plugs in them, then all it should take are some tools and a little patience.  We did our old fridge when we moved it up to our cabin.  It took a phillips screwdriver and about 15 minutes.  Good luck!

turtleIScream

« Reply #9433 on: October 11, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »
Unfortunately, modern appliances have so many electronic components that there is a much higher risk that something will go wrong. Fridges in the past could be expected to last 20-25 years, whereas today's models have an 8-10 year life expectancy.

I just learned this week that smoke detector hardware only lasts about 10 years, and CO detectors last 6. I get to go shopping at Lowes this week too.

BarensMom

« Reply #9434 on: October 11, 2012, 12:19:43 PM »
I feel your pain Bexx27.  A few weeks ago, my microwave stopped heating.  Nothing like nuking something for 5 minutes and have it ice cold.  I don't know how we lived before microwaves - I couldn't heat anything properly via oven for those two weeks.

We also went to Sears and, since they had the 10% and $100+ rebate for purchasing more than two, I replaced my 20 year old stove as well.  Now all my appliances are less than 3 years old and finally match.