Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1556115 times)

BarensMom

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9450 on: October 12, 2012, 03:42:34 PM »
Not strictly a "little" thing, but... hearing gunfire.  Receding into the distance.  On a Friday morning.

We *really* need to get out of here...

Live in Oakland, do you?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9451 on: October 12, 2012, 04:41:50 PM »
Not strictly a "little" thing, but... hearing gunfire.  Receding into the distance.  On a Friday morning.

Live in Oakland, do you?

Philadelphia, actually.  268 murders so far this year.  ::Sigh::

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9452 on: October 13, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »
When a group of teens-early 20-somethings brings a boom box into the subway car and starts perfornimg, making the passengers a captive audience as they look for money.  At 11:30PM when I'm coming home from the opera.

Betelnut

« Reply #9453 on: October 13, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »
That every stinking time I recharge my camera's battery, when I go to put it back in, I put it in wrong and need to take it back out and flip it.  Every time.  You'd think I would learn how to do it...
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #9454 on: October 13, 2012, 12:50:24 PM »
Being told to watch something on TV. Even when I have zero interest in it. My Dad has passed this lovely trait to me.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9455 on: October 13, 2012, 01:04:24 PM »
That every stinking time I recharge my camera's battery, when I go to put it back in, I put it in wrong and need to take it back out and flip it.  Every time.  You'd think I would learn how to do it...

Along those lines, when I go to take a cute picture and realize I forgot to put the card back into my camera after the last time I loaded the pics onto the computer. :P  Or when my batteries choose an inopportune time to die.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #9456 on: October 13, 2012, 01:09:44 PM »

Along those lines, when I go to take a cute picture and realize I forgot to put the card back into my camera after the last time I loaded the pics onto the computer. :P  Or when my batteries choose an inopportune time to die.

My camera battery died just as I pressed the shutter while my DH was shaking hands with Al Worden.

Allyson

« Reply #9457 on: October 13, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »
When someone assumes that you couldn't possibly have experienced a particular (usually bad) event due to you disagreeing with them on some detail about it. For example 'if you don't believe that criminals should be treated in X way then you obviously haven't been a victim of crime' or 'if you don't support every aspect of breast cancer awareness month, you've obviously never had a relative with the disease'.

Bringing personal experiences is just going to make everyone more emotional in a not-helpful way. Maybe they have actually experienced said event, and just disagree with you. And maybe they haven't--they still have enough knowledge to form an opinion. And it's assuming absolutely everyone who experiences a certain thing is going to react the same way, which doesn't happen.

Betelnut

« Reply #9458 on: October 13, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »
When someone assumes that you couldn't possibly have experienced a particular (usually bad) event due to you disagreeing with them on some detail about it. For example 'if you don't believe that criminals should be treated in X way then you obviously haven't been a victim of crime' or 'if you don't support every aspect of breast cancer awareness month, you've obviously never had a relative with the disease'.

Bringing personal experiences is just going to make everyone more emotional in a not-helpful way. Maybe they have actually experienced said event, and just disagree with you. And maybe they haven't--they still have enough knowledge to form an opinion. And it's assuming absolutely everyone who experiences a certain thing is going to react the same way, which doesn't happen.

That's so true!  My Mom's had breast cancer but I don't give to breast cancer charities.  I've had lymphoma and don't plan on giving anything to the American Cancer Assoc. or any other cancer organization.  I just don't do that.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

mmswm

« Reply #9459 on: October 13, 2012, 07:59:04 PM »

I grew up in Miami and moved to North Dakota for a few years and now I'm in a tiny town a little bit SE of Seattle.  I do not miss hearing gunfire one bit. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #9460 on: October 13, 2012, 08:40:36 PM »

Live in Oakland, do you?

Wow, we'd have about that many in my entire country.

If I heard gunshots I'd be terrified. Gun ownerships is pretty much illegal in Australia.

Victoria

Adelaide

« Reply #9461 on: October 13, 2012, 09:17:42 PM »
Every time one of my friends gets a new hobby they feel the need to cram it down everyone's throat. Thanks to the miracle of modern technology, there are even more ways to do it. For example, one of my friends just started taking some new line of herbal supplements and started a new workout regimen and now every status update is about how she's at the gym. If I get one more picture of her abs sent to me in group message format or get another message about that supplement I'm going to go ballistic. If she re-pins another one of those Instagram hipster photos with an inspirational message that says something like "Go jog, lazy" I will go blind from sheer rage. 

You wanna know what my hobbies are? They include:

-surfing online for good deals on bulk highlighters!
-making sushi!
-tabbing the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure in fun neon colors!
-doing Krav Maga!
-looking at pictures of fat cats on the internet and chuckling to myself!
-shopping for clothes and leaving empty-handed because I'm a tightwad!

I am well aware that most aspects of my life could be considered a cure for insomnia. I will occasionally tweet/repin/make an update about things that I am doing, but I don't think that because of any one of these hobbies I should be the next Dos Equis spokesperson either.

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #9462 on: October 14, 2012, 12:35:15 AM »

Live in Oakland, do you?

Wow, we'd have about that many in my entire country.

If I heard gunshots I'd be terrified. Gun ownerships is pretty much illegal in Australia.

Depends where you are. I'm rural, guns are not uncommon but the are mostly shotguns and rifles. Mostly aussies are not really big on guns it's mostly beer and bbq  :). It's not impossible to get a gun license unless have a criminal record or a good reason for needing one (work, hobby, personal protection with proof). Edged weapon licesning on the other hand is getting ridiculous. I can get into trouble for having a fake samurai sword in the house but my marble rolling pin is more dangerous, my broken foot can attest to that.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #9463 on: October 14, 2012, 01:27:53 AM »
When a group of teens-early 20-somethings brings a boom box into the subway car and starts perfornimg, making the passengers a captive audience as they look for money.  At 11:30PM when I'm coming home from the opera.
For me, any would-be entertainer of any kind who does their stuff on public transport -- as you say, "making the passengers a captive audience". Visiting a non-First-World country, we might perhaps think such goings-on picturesque; in daily life in own country, I for one find them infuriating, and a violation of privacy / personal space.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #9464 on: October 14, 2012, 04:24:23 AM »
One that's been getting to me lately. I have a lot of nature-inclined hippie friends, and that's fine. More power to them - I dabble in herbal medicine myself. But when they start spouting off against all scientific advances, except for the ones that seem to demand that mankind start shutting down industry?

If science is bad/evil/unreliable/should not be listened to when it produces medicine, GMO's, and nuclear power, then why is it good/holy/not to be questioned when man-caused global warming is the subject at hand?

Yeah I hate that too. It's funny when you're on a science forum and someone posts that all science is bad. You ask em how they think their computer has been invented and how it was been put together in the way it works today, only to get the reply back that that doesn't have anything to do with science. *bangs head* People have often no idea what science actually is (a method) and that it is something that has been performed since...forever. They seem to have this idea of evil geniusses in labcoats who speak with a bad german/russian accent.
Maybe give them the book 'bad science' from Ben Goldacre? It does a very good job at explaining what scientific research is about, why certain things are unscientific but also how certain branches of science fail at it too.