Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1738376 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9720 on: November 11, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »
I also hate spandex, not only in workout clothing, but in the plus-size clothing I find in the stores.  Just what an overweight woman needs - spandex to emphasize every bulge and cottage-cheese dimple.

Yeah, I never could figure that out.  Along those lines light knit pants in woman's clothing where the ankle circumference is the exact same at thigh.  Pants like that don't work unless you are 100lbs and have no thighs whatsoever....otherwise you look like a sausage and are seriously testing the tinsel strength of the material.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #9721 on: November 11, 2012, 06:41:39 PM »
I also hate spandex, not only in workout clothing, but in the plus-size clothing I find in the stores.  Just what an overweight woman needs - spandex to emphasize every bulge and cottage-cheese dimple.

Yeah, I never could figure that out.  Along those lines light knit pants in woman's clothing where the ankle circumference is the exact same at thigh.  Pants like that don't work unless you are 100lbs and have no thighs whatsoever....otherwise you look like a sausage and are seriously testing the tinsel strength of the material.

And of course, the numerous pairs of low-rise jeans for plus-size women. I am grateful that designers have figured out that we don't all want to go around dressed in sackcloth and ashes to hide our shame from the world, but let's put a little thought into this, okay? I don't want my hind-end hanging out all over creation, and it's hard for it not to if the only jeans I can find are made to hit mid-butt.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9722 on: November 11, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »
Watching "House Hunters" for the first time today (not much on my 500 channels  ;)), and these people are driving me up the wall.

First episode I saw, a man was looking for a houseboat to live in, and his sister came to help him make his decision. Every one they looked at, she would say "it is so small" about something. Lady, it is a houseboat! What did you expect?

Second, a young hipster couple are wanting to buy an RV so they can take a mini-retirement and travel North America. They go looking at RV's and are absolutely astonished that they have traditional furnishings. Never ending complaints about the decor until they ended up buying one.

I don't think I will watch any other episodes!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9723 on: November 11, 2012, 07:45:22 PM »
The people who Female Dog about who got elected to whatever station/office, but didn't vote.  I don't want to hear the kvetching regardless, but, IMO, if you didn't vote you have absolutely zero right to gripe and need to keep your lips zipped.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #9724 on: November 11, 2012, 07:47:21 PM »
Purchasing DVDs in locked cases, when the shop doesn't unlock them at POS.  Aarrggh! 

I bought Prometheus a few weeks ago, finally got the chance to watch it last night.  And the case was locked.  The receipt is long gone (it was a supermarket purchase), so no proof of purchase.

I swear it took me 30 minutes and completely ruining the case before I got to sit down and enjoy the movie.   >:(

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9725 on: November 11, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
The people who Female Dog about who got elected to whatever station/office, but didn't vote.  I don't want to hear the kvetching regardless, but, IMO, if you didn't vote you have absolutely zero right to gripe and need to keep your lips zipped.

MIL did not vote until the 2008 election, by choice and laziness. She still complained about every law passed or person in office. We kept telling her to be quiet when she would start to complain, and she started voting!

PeterM

« Reply #9726 on: November 12, 2012, 05:21:21 AM »
Purchasing DVDs in locked cases, when the shop doesn't unlock them at POS.  Aarrggh! 

I bought Prometheus a few weeks ago, finally got the chance to watch it last night.  And the case was locked.  The receipt is long gone (it was a supermarket purchase), so no proof of purchase.

I swear it took me 30 minutes and completely ruining the case before I got to sit down and enjoy the movie.   >:(

There's an easy way to open up DVD cases if you're willing to ruin them. Rip off the outer protective sheet/cover and remove
the paper info cover, then cut open the seam where the covers meet the spine. As soon as you have a hole big enough to get your fingers in, just rip it apart. We have to do it at my library all the time when the locking sticks get jammed. We use a razor blade to cut the seam, but I can do it almost as quickly with my thumbnail, and a ballpoint pen also works fairly well.

You have to be willing to write off the case, though. We have extras at the library, so it's not a big deal.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9727 on: November 12, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »
On the subject of DVDs, when the disc is difficult to remove from the case or when the case is damaged and the disc is loose inside.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #9728 on: November 12, 2012, 08:51:35 AM »
I've posted on here before about my SIL (DH's brother's wife) not showing up to family events before. She's started this new thing where she'll send me a Facebook message the day after such an event, and gushes about how we need to spend more time together. Uh, I thought that's what the point of the original event was...?  ::)

She called DH earlier last week to see if we wanted to get together this weekend and go to dinner. They've been wanting to try the restaurant in our local town for a while (we live about 50 minutes away from each other) so she wanted to know if we were free to go too. DH said we were, and advised her that the restaurant isn't open on Sunday, so we'd have to go Saturday. To which she replied, "Great! Well, we'll talk later this week to figure stuff out, bye!" ...and then hung up before DH could say anything else.

Um. Why not just make plans now, when you've already got DH on the line?  ??? Plus, you called us!

And no, she never called us back. DH didn't call them because he forgot and also because he really didn't care either way if they met us or not. (He's not SIL's biggest fan, although he never makes that evident. And while he loves his nephews/nieces, they're never great when it comes to behaving in public. And I think he knew she was full of bullhokey anyway.)  ::)
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #9729 on: November 12, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »
Watching "House Hunters" for the first time today (not much on my 500 channels  ;)), and these people are driving me up the wall.

First episode I saw, a man was looking for a houseboat to live in, and his sister came to help him make his decision. Every one they looked at, she would say "it is so small" about something. Lady, it is a houseboat! What did you expect?

Second, a young hipster couple are wanting to buy an RV so they can take a mini-retirement and travel North America. They go looking at RV's and are absolutely astonished that they have traditional furnishings. Never ending complaints about the decor until they ended up buying one.

I don't think I will watch any other episodes!

The subtitle for that show should be, "Thank You, Captain Obvious!" Sheesh, some of those people really irritate me. I know they need to have conflict, but it's annoying conflict.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9730 on: November 12, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »
I've posted on here before about my SIL (DH's brother's wife) not showing up to family events before. She's started this new thing where she'll send me a Facebook message the day after such an event, and gushes about how we need to spend more time together. Uh, I thought that's what the point of the original event was...?   ::)

She called DH earlier last week to see if we wanted to get together this weekend and go to dinner. They've been wanting to try the restaurant in our local town for a while (we live about 50 minutes away from each other) so she wanted to know if we were free to go too. DH said we were, and advised her that the restaurant isn't open on Sunday, so we'd have to go Saturday. To which she replied, "Great! Well, we'll talk later this week to figure stuff out, bye!" ...and then hung up before DH could say anything else.

Um. Why not just make plans now, when you've already got DH on the line?   ??? Plus, you called us!

And no, she never called us back. DH didn't call them because he forgot and also because he really didn't care either way if they met us or not. (He's not SIL's biggest fan, although he never makes that evident. And while he loves his nephews/nieces, they're never great when it comes to behaving in public. And I think he knew she was full of bullhokey anyway.)  ::)

The first I may have the clue. I hate crowds, and our family events are crowds. I would love to spend time one on one with everyone, but I get overwhelmed if there are more than about 6 people talking. I have always attended for Lucas's  sake, but I'm very uncomfortable. That's why I prefer hosting - I've got plenty to do and only a few people at a time trying to help me.

For the second, sometimes people get excited and forget to finalize plans. Then they just don't. That irritates me and makes me sad, too. I always recall and get a solid arrangement or a sure rejection, but I understand why some people don't.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #9731 on: November 12, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »
The problem is that their family always says they'll show up, and then sometimes they don't, or sometimes half of them come. She tells her husband to tell people she's sick, but it's pretty obvious that she's "sick" 90% of the time, and her kids know darn well she's not really sick. Her 6 year old told me last time, when I told him I was sorry she wasn't feeling well, "No, she's fine, she just didn't want to come." Fine example to set for your children. She may have some kind of social anxiety, but that doesn't stop her from surrounding herself with every drama-filled person in their small town. They've been robbed several times due to the unsavory characters she's befriended.

For Father's Day, they told FIL/MIL that they were coming and would also maybe be bringing a couple extras. Then only BIL showed up. (There are 6 in their family, plus the possible couple extras they mentioned) so FIL was left with tons of extra food (not to mention disappointed at being snubbed on 'his' holiday.) Often gatherings are small, just MIL/FIL, DH, me, and DD, and them--so technically they are the crowd.

SIL drives me up the wall.  :P
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #9732 on: November 12, 2012, 05:06:28 PM »
I have three does who I'm milking, and this morning's milking was a PITA. The goat that I was meant to be milking would not cooperate for me, which drives me up the wall.

Captains Flat, Australia

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #9733 on: November 12, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »

There's an easy way to open up DVD cases if you're willing to ruin them. Rip off the outer protective sheet/cover and remove
the paper info cover, then cut open the seam where the covers meet the spine. As soon as you have a hole big enough to get your fingers in, just rip it apart. We have to do it at my library all the time when the locking sticks get jammed. We use a razor blade to cut the seam, but I can do it almost as quickly with my thumbnail, and a ballpoint pen also works fairly well.

You have to be willing to write off the case, though. We have extras at the library, so it's not a big deal.

Thanks for the tip, PeterM!  I'll try to remember next time I'm cussing a blue streak at the dingdangity DVD case...   :-[

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9734 on: November 14, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »
My family at the moment.  Not family of origin.  Actually the only one in my immediate family not driving me up the wall is the baby.

My husband and middle child seem to have hoarding tendencies.  I cannot throw anything away while they're around or I hear "I was going to use that!!!!" It could be a paper bag, a plank of wood, a paperclip, empty box, they were going to use it. Never mind it's been sitting in the same stinking place and they forgot it was even there, dangit, they would use it once they remember they have it!!  ::)

I got after DH for being a bad example for leaving things around and expecting me to clean up after him, as the boys do that and I'm working on breaking them of the habit of dumping their stuff in the living room right when they walk in the door, and it's constant battle to get them to clean up after themselves.   Such as two cardboard boxes that he just left in the living room, cluttering it up and adding to more I have to do in order to make the room look nice. 

"But don't recycle those! I can use those!"
"For what? You don't have to send things to anyone."
"You don't know that! I might, and I'll want a box, but I don't have room to put them cause the basement's storage space is all taken!" Yeah, it's taken all right, and because he works 60 hours a week, roughly, guess who most of the cleaning falls on? And it would be so much easier if I could throw stuff away without hearing about it later...
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata