Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1567790 times)

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9825 on: November 26, 2012, 04:36:59 AM »

At this point my parents have gone past That's Funny and moved on to Genuine Concern. My mother's been citing divorce/death statistics and at one point asked me if I had father issues. I just shrugged and said "Probably. It's your husband's fault if I do!" :P

Tell her that you have a crush on Christopher Lee ;) welcome the comments about grandaddy issues.

And another unrelated thing that drives me up the wall: one of my cats starts begging loudly when he starts to get hungry. He wants food and he wants it now. The problem is that he starts feeling peckish 1.5 hours before dinner time, and he has a very impressive volume. Not only will he keep yodeling for food, he will engage in behaviors that he knows are bad. He will start chewing plants, jump om the counter top, try to scratch the chairs, jump on my computer desk while I'm busy with my computer, chew on cables...but it's certainly not like he gets too little to eat; his weight is perfect and he is active and happy. He is just a whiner.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #9826 on: November 26, 2012, 08:43:12 AM »
Following cake recipe links and finding that they start with "take 1 box of XXX cake mix..."

Oh my gosh, thank you. I'd started to think I was the only one. Nothing makes me more disappointed than following a really good looking recipe on Pinterest (or anywhere else) that is described as THEBESTCAKEVERELEVENTY!! and then finding out it uses cake mix.  :-\ I commented my feelings on Facebook, to which I was met with responses such as "You're crazy!" and "Um, no. I have the completely opposite reaction..." I'm sorry. But IMO the "best cake ever" does NOT start with a box of yellow cake mix.  >:(

I disagree, but that is because I have baked so many each way. It is a matter of opinion.

Oh, I'm sure it's a matter of personal taste. To me, though, there's no way to "doctor up" a cake mix to make it not taste like cake mix. Something in the mix just doesn't agree with me, and I can taste it and it makes my stomach do weird butterfly flops. I know other people can't tell the difference one way or the other.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #9827 on: November 26, 2012, 08:55:45 AM »
I don't think I know anyone who would use a cake mix, it's just not the culture here.  I've just started seeing them appearing in shops recently, though.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9828 on: November 26, 2012, 10:21:17 AM »
Static in the winter.  I hate brushing my hair when it's wet but in the winter it's even worse brushing it dry cause it flies all over. I really need to remember to keep a spray bottle of water handy so it can be just slightly wet so it won't fly all over.  And then there's the wispy hairs that aren't long enough for my ponytail/bun and will stick to my face.

If you have them, dryer sheets will also help with the sticking and frizz. I just rub one all over my head after brushing and it keeps me from looking like the victim of an electric experiment.

I think I may give that one a shot, as we do have plenty of those.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dr. F.

« Reply #9829 on: November 26, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »
Static in the winter.  I hate brushing my hair when it's wet but in the winter it's even worse brushing it dry cause it flies all over. I really need to remember to keep a spray bottle of water handy so it can be just slightly wet so it won't fly all over.  And then there's the wispy hairs that aren't long enough for my ponytail/bun and will stick to my face.

This, soooo much. I actually just posted on Facebook that static is my least favorite part of winter.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #9830 on: November 26, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »

This, soooo much. I actually just posted on Facebook that static is my least favorite part of winter.

I have to agree too.  It's not so much in my hair, but every single time I go to check the wood heater, I have to 'despark' on the handle of it before I open it.  The sparks are often visible, and they sting.

I remember several times, years ago.  I worked in operating theatre and on weekends if we had somebody come up for trauma surgery they'd arrive in a bed with the traction frame on - made the beds look like the hospital version of a four-poster.  If you weren't in the OR actually doing the case, it was expected that you'd remake the bed for the post-op patient.  A couple of times while doing this I copped a static spark as I brushed past the uprights of the traction frame - right on a nipple...  yes, through a scrub shirt and bra.  Owies!!!  that really makes your eyes water!

Shalamar

« Reply #9831 on: November 26, 2012, 05:17:34 PM »
People who clip their nails at their desks.  I'm fortunate enough to be surrounded by these people, and they seem to take turns doing it every day.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #9832 on: November 26, 2012, 10:18:34 PM »
I take the freeway to work every day, two lanes in either direction. It drives me crazy when the right lane is going 10 mph under the speed limit and the left lane is going 10 mph over the speed limit.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9833 on: November 27, 2012, 06:40:49 PM »
When people will jump on you before you even do or say anything.   The other night my bff sent me an email and since the little dot next to my name was gray instead of green (we use gmail) she said "Well fine if you just want to ignore me, fine."

I wasn't even signed into gmail, didn't even realize she'd left me an email (gmail notifier isn't all that reliable and often tells me I don't have email when I actually do) and it wasn't till she texted me that I even realized she'd emailed me.  Granted she was already feeling like chopped liver when she signed on but sheesh.

Then DH texts me saying he was tired, on his way home and NOT in the mood for BS or drama.  The man leaves for work before the rest of us get up (usually about 5am) and doesn't get home any earlier than 7pm.  So being tired is totally understandable but it irritates me  that he just expects there's going to be bs and "drama". 

I think by "drama"  he means Piratebabe fussing either from being tired or just wanting something we haven't figured out yet, or being put in his portajail while DH is trying to sleep.  I get that it's hard to sleep when the baby's crying but if we're trying to settle him down, man, have some patience. It's not like the child comes with a volume app.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9834 on: November 27, 2012, 07:21:59 PM »
There must be a new law that states that if two or more people meet in a grocery store/big box/electronics store, any store, they will always, always park their carts across the very aisle I want to go down, or pull up exactly in front of the item on the shelf I want to buy.  Never fails.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9835 on: November 27, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
I sympathize.  This afternoon I went to the store to pick up a few things and since it was just a few I used the self checkout.  Well there are six, set up in two rows of 3 on either side of the cashier stand. 

So like this where 0 is the cashier stand and the X's are display stands of goods.

front of store
I    0    I

I    X     I

I    x     I
where line forms

The first one on the left I pulled up to had a sign saying "Please wait for cashier" as soon as you hit the "start" button and there's no way for the user to undo it.

And there was someone in front of me at the next one down, but as soon as they left, the woman behind me huffed and went around me, and before she started, the person at the very last one on the left finished and headed out.  Did huffy lady move forward?

Nope, she stood right there, but not only did she do that, she parked vertically, thus blocking anyone with a cart from getting through to the first register.  Eventually the person at the register across from her left and I was able to move over but sheesh. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9836 on: November 27, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »
There must be a new law that states that if two or more people meet in a grocery store/big box/electronics store, any store, they will always, always park their carts across the very aisle I want to go down, or pull up exactly in front of the item on the shelf I want to buy.  Never fails.

When I go shopping, I have this amazing ability to walk away from my cart! I will park my cart away from all of the crowd, grab my purse and get whatever item I need. I have actually had people try to block me with their carts.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9837 on: November 27, 2012, 09:18:52 PM »

When I go shopping, I have this amazing ability to walk away from my cart! I will park my cart away from all of the crowd, grab my purse and get whatever item I need. I have actually had people try to block me with their carts.
I do that with great caution nowadays, ever since I returned to my cart to find it empty.  A store employee thought it had been abandoned and scooped up the 2 or 3 things in it to return to the shelves.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9838 on: November 27, 2012, 09:49:18 PM »

I do that with great caution nowadays, ever since I returned to my cart to find it empty.  A store employee thought it had been abandoned and scooped up the 2 or 3 things in it to return to the shelves.

I worry about that too. 

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #9839 on: November 28, 2012, 01:13:18 PM »

I once caught a couple of other shoppers taking my things out of my cart and putting them on the floor.   ::)

BG: My ILs live with us.

I can't stand the way MIL opens a box of cereal.  Instead of taking the inner pouch and pulling it open (to make a funnel to pour your cereal into a bowl without spilling it everywhere) she cuts a corner off.  So when you pour your cereal, there is always a good bit left that falls down into the box.  And I know these aren't impossible-to-open-packages, everyone else manages to open them without cutting it.  And if she's having issues, for the love of Pete, TELL someone so they can help!