Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1619672 times)

Jaelle

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9870 on: November 29, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »
Traska, his responses or my questions? :)  I freely admit I'm not blameless. It's just two different operating systems, really. We're learning to meet in the middle.

Luci45, you're right. I don't think he cared. I wish he'd just say, "I don't care" then, though ... I'd leave it be and make the decision myself.  >:D 

I like to discuss things. He likes to pick something and move on. Neither is better all the time. He wishes sometimes that I would stop playing devil's advocate with myself and I wish he'd think things through. ;)
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9871 on: November 29, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »
The snaps on the crotch of baby/toddler pants.  Or maybe the ones that I have, being hand-me-downs, have lost their "snap" because they come apart so easily.  My son's no more active than any other 1 year old, but all he has to do is walk and the little snaps come undone.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9872 on: November 29, 2012, 03:14:50 PM »
Traska, his responses or my questions? :)  I freely admit I'm not blameless. It's just two different operating systems, really. We're learning to meet in the middle.

Luci45, you're right. I don't think he cared. I wish he'd just say, "I don't care" then, though ... I'd leave it be and make the decision myself.  >:D 

I like to discuss things. He likes to pick something and move on. Neither is better all the time. He wishes sometimes that I would stop playing devil's advocate with myself and I wish he'd think things through. ;)

The responses.  I'd be tempted to grab him by the shoulders and shake him, screaming "Have an opinion man!  Tell me what you think so we can discuss these things!  Conversation, do you speak it?"

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9873 on: November 29, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »

The responses.  I'd be tempted to grab him by the shoulders and shake him, screaming "Have an opinion man!  Tell me what you think so we can discuss these things!  Conversation, do you speak it?"

That's interesting! I just let it be when he has no opinion and do it my way!   :)

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #9874 on: November 29, 2012, 03:36:47 PM »
DH and his reaction to questions. I know where it comes from, but ... ugh! :P

This morning, I ask him where he thinks we should hang a Christmas decoration and give him three places I was thinking of. He picks one.

Me: "Hmm, why?" (turning over the pros and cons of the places and honestly wondering why)

Him: (acts annoyed) "I don't have a reason, I just picked one because you wanted me to!"

Me: Huh? "No, I wanted to talk about which spot was the best!"

Him: "OK ... other one!"

Me: "Why?" (thinking, OK, now we can have the conversation!)

Him: "Then pick it yourself!"

Me: "What part of 'talk about it' do you not understand??"

And a similar situation. I asked him to get a certain brand of something at the store. He comes home with something different.

Me: "Why did you get X?"  (thinking, "Huh, this is new! Maybe it was a better deal or the other one sold out. Maybe he just liked something about it. I wonder what?")

Him: Throws hands up in the air. "Then get it yourself the next time!"  :o

After 10 years of marriage, I know that the latter (which doesn't happen much anymore) is him hearing my question as "You screwed up!" That's how his mom operates. She wants DH to do all sorts of things for her and then nitpicks them to death. :P  I tell him he should know me better by now. He admits this. :)

The first example ... I don't know. Perhaps it stems from the same dynamic. MIL doesn't usually want to have conversations, she wants to tell you how to do things. Because she always knows best, of course. :P

It sounds to me like he really doesn't care and was just choosing something random to get it done.

lol This is my DH and I almost to a T.  I no longer give him choices.  Assuming it doesn't involve putting holes in the walls or buying something nonrefundable, I do what I want and if he has a contrary opinion, he's free to speak up at any time.  Bigger decisions pretty much work the same way: I let him know my preference first and then we go from there. DH is very logical in his approach to everything and I find it works best if I give him a starting point.
The days are long but the years are short.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #9875 on: November 29, 2012, 03:42:47 PM »

That's interesting! I just let it be when he has no opinion and do it my way!   :)

Generally, if I'm going to do things my way, I just do them and don't ask.  :D  If I'm asking, it's because I want a real answer, dangit.

turtleIScream

« Reply #9876 on: November 29, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
My husband.

I love menu planning, he likes to eat, so it usually all works out. Last weekend, I put together the menu for this week, he looked it over and said it looked good. I double checked again that my plans were fine before I finalized my shopping list. I went to the grocery store and spent $200 stocking up on fresh meat and produce.

Sunday night, he tells me that he has work functions Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights, so won't be home for dinner. There's no way my daughter and I can eat all this food (some of which we don't especially like, but were chosen as his favorites), and the produce will not keep. Now, I want to make him eat boxed mac'n cheese for the rest of the year.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #9877 on: November 29, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »
My husband.

I love menu planning, he likes to eat, so it usually all works out. Last weekend, I put together the menu for this week, he looked it over and said it looked good. I double checked again that my plans were fine before I finalized my shopping list. I went to the grocery store and spent $200 stocking up on fresh meat and produce.

Sunday night, he tells me that he has work functions Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights, so won't be home for dinner. There's no way my daughter and I can eat all this food (some of which we don't especially like, but were chosen as his favorites), and the produce will not keep. Now, I want to make him eat boxed mac'n cheese for the rest of the year.

Ramen.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9878 on: November 29, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »
This is not a little thing, and it certainly isn't to the people involved. This makes my heart hurt for the students involved of the second type.

I work with undergraduate transfer students, and many of them do very well and are able to pursue their dreams.

Occasionally I come across someone who is, academically, between a rock and hard place. This particular person has taken a required math course (and it's equivalents) eleven times. He has not passed any of them once. He has spent 33 semester hours in two years on these classes, and has nothing but a bad GPA and student loan debt to show for it. In addition, there is an additional penalty the third time a student takes a course. As I told my boss, it may be kinder for someone to advise this student to stop as his chosen field is very competitive and he is unlikely to be admitted.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #9879 on: November 29, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »
Getting an itch where you can't scratch it.

This morning, scalp, under a motorcycle helmet at highway speed.  Grrrr.

Pipe cleaners, twisted together lengthwise, rolled up in your pocket, makes a good under-helmet scratcher.

I usually sort of shrug up my shoulders enough to hit the edge of the helmet and wriggle my head a bit, seems to work.  Mostly, anyway!

For the itchy nose, my skid lid is XS and has a breath guard, if I really stretch and wriggle I can rub my nose on the breath guard enough to kill the itch. 

Must look weird to any observers, and it sounds weird too! 

mmswm

« Reply #9880 on: November 29, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »
The amount of food eaten by teenage boys.  My 13yo has been home for a little over an hour.  In that hour he has eaten:

15 pizza rolls
package of ramen
One whole green pepper
One and a half red peppers
half a package of graham crackers
4 or 5 chocolate chip cookies
ham and cheese bagel

Oh, and somewhere in there he found time to help feed puppies.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9881 on: November 29, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »
I dread those days, as my oldest will be 12 in April and he and his 10yo brother already would eat me out of house and home if they didn't have it drilled into them to ask before they could devour something.   Pirateboy1 must have a hollow leg too because the child's thin as a rail and no matter how much he eats, he doesn't seem to gain anywhere but in height.  I'm sure once he hits puberty and gets some muscle mass that'll change but man.

The 10 year old has a bigger appetite though.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #9882 on: November 29, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »
My boys are 13, 11, and 10.  My grocery bill is insane.  There are certain things they can eat without asking and I make sure to be VERY stocked on those items.  Fortunately, they do like to eat a lot of raw veggies.  I keep peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots and spinach leaves (youngest likes to roll a bit of cheese and lunch meat in the spinach leaves for a snack) on hand in huge quantities.  Unfortunately, veggies are not always cheap.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9883 on: November 29, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »
I can believe it. Thankfully my boys like healthy foods and I don't know where he gets it from but the middle boy does not really care for chocolate that much.  They actually like veggies and fruits more than I do.   It was great when we went to an orchard and got two tote bags of apples for $20.   We were lousy with apples for weeks, and now we get bananas and between the 3 of them the bunches are gone almost as soon as I get them home.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #9884 on: November 29, 2012, 10:49:50 PM »
I'm over 39 weeks pregnant, so I'm pretty much just waiting until the labor will start already. As a result, I keep dreaming that I start having contractions, or my water breaks, only to wake up AGAIN and realize still nothing is happening...multiple times per night.
Can I have a dream about cute kittens now please?