Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1300039 times)

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9930 on: December 05, 2012, 06:54:51 AM »

People who swear have no imagination? Really?
I always believed there were no such things as swear words unless it was used as a noun.
Stewart/Colbert '16

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #9931 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »
Yesterday a coworker and her friend went to an ethnic restaurant. She came back loudly complaining of "the odor" and how it was clinging to her hair and clothes and how she wished she could take a shower. She didn't just say that. She went on for several minutes about "the smell" and how she couldn't wait to get it off.

The restaurant in question is incredibly clean and I haven't noticed any excessive smells. Just regular restaurant smells, like how you'd smell like fries if you went to a fast food restaurant or seafood if you went to a seafood restaurant. The blatant disgust struck me as incredibly closed-minded and ignorant. (We're in a very homognized area where the most ethnic restaurant one usually sees is Mexican-American.)

Sigh. Or perhaps I'm just at the short end of my rope. This same coworker has been very vocal this week, when I have a lot of deadlines coming up, and not being able to concentrate for the first 90 minutes of my day because people want to talk about nothing is irritating.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9932 on: December 05, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Y
Migraines too. I get them, and have since I was ten years old. My son is starting to get them, and people who have never had a vision-altering, sound-amplifying, dizzying, crippling migraine can't relate. It drives me up the wall when people belittle how others feel about whatever troubles them.
+11 million.  "Well, when *I* get a headache, I just take a couple of aspirin and get on with my day.  Why do *you* have to go lie down in a dark room?" ::) That was MIL's favorite line, as if I was pretending to feel sledgehammers on my skull and someone squeezing my eyes in a vise.  >:(

My sister has them even worse than I do. My MIL has a very bad habit of making it sound like everyone is a hypochondriac, and her sister ends up at the ER because of her migraines. Very unfair to others.
I've been to the ER/doctor's office for mine a time or two.  Demerol in the old days, sumatriptan injections now.  Sumatriptan...now there's a cure that is ALMOST worse than the illness!  It replaces Sledgehammer Guy with Belt-sander Guy.  Last time was in April, and I had to insist on injection, not pills.  I was already in the hospital after a car accident. (Nothing broken or really injured, just mystery chest pains.) And like many migraineurs, I KNOW when one is developing, and I know that sumatriptan pills need to be taken at the very beginning to be effective. Some bean counter decided that pills administered 2 hours later would be sufficient.  Not a snowball's chance in the Hot Place!  After another 2 or 3 pain-filled hours, they finally agreed to give me the injection.  I'm afraid that I was "that patient".  First the nurse tried to give me another pill.  "NO.  NO PILLS. SHOT."  About the only coherent words I could get out.  DH was there by that time to explain and do some butt-chewing, because there was no excuse for the delay.  Not a little thing at all!

The sumatriptan tablets don't work for me at all, only the injection. I found an RX medication that does work most of the time if taken early enough, and I will PM it to you.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9933 on: December 05, 2012, 11:03:24 AM »
Yesterday a coworker and her friend went to an ethnic restaurant. She came back loudly complaining of "the odor" and how it was clinging to her hair and clothes and how she wished she could take a shower. She didn't just say that. She went on for several minutes about "the smell" and how she couldn't wait to get it off.

The restaurant in question is incredibly clean and I haven't noticed any excessive smells. Just regular restaurant smells, like how you'd smell like fries if you went to a fast food restaurant or seafood if you went to a seafood restaurant. The blatant disgust struck me as incredibly closed-minded and ignorant. (We're in a very homognized area where the most ethnic restaurant one usually sees is Mexican-American.)

Sigh. Or perhaps I'm just at the short end of my rope. This same coworker has been very vocal this week, when I have a lot of deadlines coming up, and not being able to concentrate for the first 90 minutes of my day because people want to talk about nothing is irritating.

My mother is very sensitive to smells and when she worked for a physician from India, she had a very hard time in the morning, when curries and other things were heated up for the staff by the physician's wife. She was never rude about it, but ended up having to leave her job because of the food smells.

I know of someone who quit his job because his cube mate ate fermented fish for breakfast every day (at work), and his complaints to HR and their supervisor went unheeded.

Some people have extreme reactions to odors, as we have seen on perfume and food threads here in the past.

Moonie

« Reply #9934 on: December 05, 2012, 11:04:58 AM »
When the traffic guy on the radio in the mornings says that So and So Road is starting to "heavy up". I know what he means, but it just sounds really odd to me. Why can't he just say that the traffic is backing up?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9935 on: December 05, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
We don't say stomach flu here in the UK. It would drive me mad too!

I'm in the UK and I am familiar with "Stomach Flu" as a term for GI.

I POD the random use of Flu for everything. When people say they have the flu and what they have is a cold.
No, if your nose is running and you have a bit of a ticklish throat and that is all, that is not flu.

People who get headaches and call them Migraines also drive me Bat poo. I get migraines.
You have a head ache and from the way you describe it not even a bad one.

Years ago, before we moved here, my DH and father were working on our bathroom.  Unfortunately whoever installed the tub back in the 70's put it in tilted so any water that got on the edges dripped down into the floor and rotted the wood underneath. We didn't find out until DH lightly touched the soap dish and it fell off.   Well there was a lot of mold flying around and on the boy's first day of school that year I ended up with pinkeye and just felt awful. 

My dad said "You sound like you have the flu." I didn't even have a cold, it was the reaction to the mold and said as much but "No that's impossible, you have the flu."  Right, cause mold doesn't bother anyone.   ::) Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the two of you are ripping up our bathroom, where you said there was mold under the tiles and it's right next to our bedroom.

Unrelated to that, I just got done with most of my Christmas shopping.  The middle child asked for a Furby..Holy heck, I didn't realize how pricey they are!  I was expecting in the ballpark of $30, but they were $50! I could afford it but I guess it's all the programming for the toy. 

And sort of related (only cause I had to drive around), the right sliding door of my van never wants to close.  It only does this at home for some reason, but I'll hit the button for it to close and it will most of the way, but then will open right back up and does this unless you push it closed.  Our old van did that too.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Snooks

« Reply #9936 on: December 05, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »
People who say "I don't mind, you pick" then don't like any of your suggestions.

Re: headaches and flu

I always say that if you've had flu you'll never misdiagnose it again.  I was in bed for a week sleeping the only time I had flu.  Everything since has been a heavy cold.

The worse migraine I ever experienced was when I was out somewhere for an awards ceremony, I knew I had to stay until the end but as soon as the final award was given out I told my dad who was there that I had to go home I had a migraine and I thought I was going to throw up.  I came home, crawled up the stairs dropped my coat, keys and bag in a plane crash trail towards the bathroom where I hung over the toilet.  When I went to my parents house the next day I was surprised mum didn't ask me how I was because she suffers from migraines too, turns out dad told her I'd gone home early because I had a cold!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9937 on: December 05, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »
That's so true about the flu. 

A cold, even a heavy cold, is like a fender-bender in the parking lot compared to the flu.  The flu is like a head-on collision with a semi.  if you've ever had it, you know when you have it again. 

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #9938 on: December 05, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »
That's so true about the flu. 

A cold, even a heavy cold, is like a fender-bender in the parking lot compared to the flu.  The flu is like a head-on collision with a semi.  if you've ever had it, you know when you have it again.

True.  I had it in February of 2011, and it took over a week before I felt even a little bit better.  The body aches and fatigue were the worst. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

mmswm

« Reply #9939 on: December 05, 2012, 01:11:05 PM »
Influenza is horrible.  I had it once and couldn't move for nearly two weeks.  I'm one of the few people who have actually vomited with the flu, but that was more because of all the mucus that was being coughed up and dripping down that my tummy revolted.  The little flap between my stomach and esophagus had gotten "eaten" by ulcers a number of years before that, so I vomit easily already. Though maybe that story belongs in the "gross" thread.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9940 on: December 05, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »
How about that I am under the impression that I am under a Cell Phone Curse:

• Whenever I make or receive a call outdoors an exterior train or emergency vehicle passes my area, making it impossible to talk or listen.
  • The battery always dies during a call or internet session.

wendelenn

« Reply #9941 on: December 06, 2012, 07:08:08 PM »
When the traffic guy on the radio in the mornings says that So and So Road is starting to "heavy up". I know what he means, but it just sounds really odd to me. Why can't he just say that the traffic is backing up?

Or when they say, "Traffic brought to you by XYZ Company". No, the traffic is brought to you by all those drivers out there on the road. The traffic *report* is brought to you by XYZ Company".
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

turtleIScream

« Reply #9942 on: December 06, 2012, 09:12:03 PM »

Or when they say, "Traffic brought to you by XYZ Company". No, the traffic is brought to you by all those drivers out there on the road. The traffic *report* is brought to you by XYZ Company".

Or "today's weather brought to you by..." Someone has developed a weather machine?!?

Dr. F.

« Reply #9943 on: December 07, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »
Stressful dreams, where you wake up more anxious than you went to bed.

Last night I dreamed that I had a short time frame to move, kept forgetting to pack things, the pets would go missing just when I needed to put them in my car, etc. And then my cousin (?) was driving the moving van like a maniac and kept running into things, etc. etc. Horrible!

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #9944 on: December 07, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »
The phrase "Sorry I'm not sorry". Too many people I know use it to justify being ruder than rude.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."