Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1861191 times)

PeterM

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9945 on: December 07, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
The phrase "Sorry I'm not sorry". Too many people I know use it to justify being ruder than rude.

I've never heard anything like that used except as a joke. I think if someone tried to use that on me as an actual, serious statement, I'd say, "You're a liar." Because clearly they're not actually sorry that they feel no sorrow.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #9946 on: December 07, 2012, 12:49:34 PM »
Dog, I'm not a food dispenser.  Nor do I enjoy being stared at when I'm trying to enjoy a sandwich.

Actually, I think I made a similar post about a cheese omelette not too long ago.  Difference is, I'm not the only one who's eating at the moment.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #9947 on: December 07, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »
The phrase "Sorry I'm not sorry". Too many people I know use it to justify being ruder than rude.

I've never heard anything like that used except as a joke. I think if someone tried to use that on me as an actual, serious statement, I'd say, "You're a liar." Because clearly they're not actually sorry that they feel no sorrow.

I would, but knowing the specific people, that would cause more drama than it's worth, unfortunately.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Shalamar

« Reply #9948 on: December 07, 2012, 02:22:24 PM »
People who overshare.  I have a co-worker who sits very close to me, and no detail of her life is too personal or too gross to not share.   I just overheard her telling her friend about her dog's worms, and how they resemble bean sprouts.  "I'm never eating bean sprouts again!" she giggled.   UM, ME NEITHER.  THANKS FOR THAT.

And, just proving that there's no pleasing me, she's now whispering her conversation, and THAT'S driving me crazy because I hate that "psst psst psst" sound.  Argh!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9949 on: December 07, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »
Parallel parking.  I don't do it often, but it drives me CRAZY that when I'm alone, I wheel it in just right every time.  If there is someone with me or watching from outside the car, it takes a lot of backing and filling, or pulling completely out and trying again.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Emmy

« Reply #9950 on: December 07, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »
Adults who whisper to one another when in a group, especially when they make a small scene of it with lots of back and forth whispering and giggling.  If you want to have a private conversation, please take it out of a group setting.

I'm not a good speller and use spell check quite often.  I hate when I sound out a word and spell check has no idea what word I wish to use and gives me totally off the wall suggestions.

I saw something on a morning show about getting the 'right' toys so 'your kid doesn't hate you'.  So are kids really hating their parents for buying the wrong toy or is the media just trying to scare people into losing their children's affection to get them to buy more stuff.  If my children hate me or any person because they didn't give them the right toy, I'd be worried about the job I did raising them.

snowflake

« Reply #9951 on: December 07, 2012, 04:46:25 PM »
When you post a link debunking a hoax picture.. and people share the hoax but not the debunking.  ??? And it's not like I posted "under" the photo like some of my friends do.  :'(  It's like people only see the picture but not the words.

I'm going to try and keep this politically neutral. 

There is a certain picture going around Facebook that makes a political point in an ironic way.  Let's say that it promotes making Jumping Jacks illegal using silly language that implies that Jumping Jacks should be legal.  I have certain friends who I love but have been driving me nuts with their over-blown posts about how if anyone does a Jumping Jack, the US will fall into sheer chaos and fascism combined.

Jumping Jacks were made illegal last year where I live.

So the same friends are sharing that picture and saying, "I just hope our Supreme Overlord sees this!  This goes to show that if you are even barely educated, you will outlaw Jumping Jacks!"

But:

1) Jumping Jacks WERE outlawed by this Supreme Overlord.  Um hello?  It was two-inch headlines on the local paper?  Why are you insinuating that everyone who doesn't agree with your logic is uneducated when you MISSED this freaking HUGE issue that is ALREADY decided?

2) And that picture and caption really doesn't make your point.

I desperately want to correct them but I know it will devolve into a political food fight and we'll end up hating each other.  Because these are the sort of people who, when it comes to politics, can't even have a discussion of, "I agree with you but I should choose that method of making the point."  (Because if they're right they can use any bad logic they want.)  They will probably assume I am being "mean" because they know that I am all for Jumping Jacks.  But the pictures are driving. me. up. the. wall.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9952 on: December 07, 2012, 05:28:21 PM »
Parallel parking.  I don't do it often, but it drives me CRAZY that when I'm alone, I wheel it in just right every time.  If there is someone with me or watching from outside the car, it takes a lot of backing and filling, or pulling completely out and trying again.

Do you suffer from PPPD (Parallel parking performance disorder)? I am the same way with so many things. I can type in the 70wpm range, but not when I have a paper due for school.  ::)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #9953 on: December 07, 2012, 05:39:38 PM »

People who swear have no imagination? Really?
I always believed there were no such things as swear words unless it was used as a noun.

It's a subset/superset thing. Not all people who swear lack imagination but many (most?) people who lack imagination fill it in with swearing.  Someone above cited George Carlin, and he's a good example. He used profanity in his act very carefully. Sadly, I've heard many comics since George who used profanity for the shock value and not because it actually helped the joke or story. That's a lack of imagination. George Carlin could have been funny without the profanity, had he chosen to do so. Some of these current comics, not so much.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9954 on: December 07, 2012, 06:45:54 PM »

I always believed there were no such things as swear words unless it was used as a noun.

It's a subset/superset thing. Not all people who swear lack imagination but many (most?) people who lack imagination fill it in with swearing.  Someone above cited George Carlin, and he's a good example. He used profanity in his act very carefully. Sadly, I've heard many comics since George who used profanity for the shock value and not because it actually helped the joke or story. That's a lack of imagination. George Carlin could have been funny without the profanity, had he chosen to do so. Some of these current comics, not so much.

At the same time, though, there are times when a hammer is *exactly* the tool called for.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9955 on: December 07, 2012, 06:55:07 PM »
Shopping carts.  I never get one that will go straight and turn easily. The one I got this morning I had to really put some oomph into the push to keep it from going right.  What is it that messes up their alignment or are they made like this?

I went to Hobby Lobby after hitting the grocery store and by comparison their carts are almost too easy to push around.  It's like picking up something that's about 10lbs when you're expecting it to be 50lbs.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #9956 on: December 07, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »

At the same time, though, there are times when a hammer is *exactly* the tool called for.

Yes, but the point was people interpreting the phrase "people who swear have no imagination." I was pointing out that if you take it as an exact equality, it's wrong, but if you take it as a subset then it's mostly true.

Yes, there are times when it's the right tool. But there are a lot of people who use it because it's the only tool they have.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9957 on: December 07, 2012, 08:30:11 PM »
Yes, there are times when it's the right tool. But there are a lot of people who use it because it's the only tool they have.
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9958 on: December 07, 2012, 08:31:49 PM »
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

But one shouldn't disparage a carpenter just because he's skilled with that hammer.

Adelaide

« Reply #9959 on: December 08, 2012, 01:50:15 AM »
I know this is a sore subject for a lot of people in real life, so I want to make it clear that I'm talking about movie/tv settings only. I hate it when people spin a movie as some great love story or some "classic" soul mate flick and it's about someone who's already married/in a relationship who finds their soul mate with someone who's not their spouse/SO. And then you're supposed to feel sorry for this pairing, because life is haaaaard. Why is life hard? Because you're sneaking around and you don't have the guts to leave your spouse/SO or to even say "Hey, this isn't working out". I was going to watch The English Patient today (because Ralph Fiennes is incredibly easy on the eyes) but then I read the synopsis and was totally turned off by it. The tagline is even "Love knows no bounds" as if cheating is some heroic, freeing act that this woman is undertaking.

I get that this happens all the time in real life. I get it. But in the context of a movie, I just find it distracting and I don't buy that I'm supposed to feel sympathy and root for these characters. Maybe it's because I'm jaded and I've had one too many girlfriends cry about how their boyfriend isn't treating them right, so they went off and cheated and got caught because life is sooo haaaard.