Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1296798 times)

Octavia

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9960 on: December 08, 2012, 05:47:53 AM »
I know this is a sore subject for a lot of people in real life, so I want to make it clear that I'm talking about movie/tv settings only. I hate it when people spin a movie as some great love story or some "classic" soul mate flick and it's about someone who's already married/in a relationship who finds their soul mate with someone who's not their spouse/SO. And then you're supposed to feel sorry for this pairing, because life is haaaaard. Why is life hard? Because you're sneaking around and you don't have the guts to leave your spouse/SO or to even say "Hey, this isn't working out". I was going to watch The English Patient today (because Ralph Fiennes is incredibly easy on the eyes) but then I read the synopsis and was totally turned off by it. The tagline is even "Love knows no bounds" as if cheating is some heroic, freeing act that this woman is undertaking.

I get that this happens all the time in real life. I get it. But in the context of a movie, I just find it distracting and I don't buy that I'm supposed to feel sympathy and root for these characters. Maybe it's because I'm jaded and I've had one too many girlfriends cry about how their boyfriend isn't treating them right, so they went off and cheated and got caught because life is sooo haaaard.
POD! I was the only person in my circle who disliked the movie "The Bridges of Madison County," and it was for just that reason.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #9961 on: December 08, 2012, 09:49:06 AM »
Yes, there are times when it's the right tool. But there are a lot of people who use it because it's the only tool they have.
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

But one shouldn't disparage a carpenter just because he's skilled with that hammer.

If he uses the hammer to drive in a screw, then I'm going to disparage him. It's all about using the right tool at the right time.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9962 on: December 08, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »
I'm with you on those kinds of movies, as I don't quite get the appeal either. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Girlie

« Reply #9963 on: December 08, 2012, 11:04:52 AM »
POD on the movies thing. But, I'd like to add in that I feel the same about novels.  I find the topic distracting.

Personal pet peeve for the day: As a bank teller, I don't get why people get so angry about showing their identification in order to access their account. I work in a small bank, so if I KNOW the customer, then fine, I don't need it. But if I don't? A five minute lecture about how you've been with this bank for umpteen years and have a million-billion accounts here and no one EVER asks for your i.d. is going to take a LOT longer than the two seconds required for me just verify the thing in the first place.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #9964 on: December 08, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »
I know this is a sore subject for a lot of people in real life, so I want to make it clear that I'm talking about movie/tv settings only. I hate it when people spin a movie as some great love story or some "classic" soul mate flick and it's about someone who's already married/in a relationship who finds their soul mate with someone who's not their spouse/SO. And then you're supposed to feel sorry for this pairing, because life is haaaaard. Why is life hard? Because you're sneaking around and you don't have the guts to leave your spouse/SO or to even say "Hey, this isn't working out". I was going to watch The English Patient today (because Ralph Fiennes is incredibly easy on the eyes) but then I read the synopsis and was totally turned off by it. The tagline is even "Love knows no bounds" as if cheating is some heroic, freeing act that this woman is undertaking.

I get that this happens all the time in real life. I get it. But in the context of a movie, I just find it distracting and I don't buy that I'm supposed to feel sympathy and root for these characters. Maybe it's because I'm jaded and I've had one too many girlfriends cry about how their boyfriend isn't treating them right, so they went off and cheated and got caught because life is sooo haaaard.
POD! I was the only person in my circle who disliked the movie "The Bridges of Madison County," and it was for just that reason.

The first one I thought of was "Same Time Next Year".   >:(

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #9965 on: December 09, 2012, 12:44:11 AM »
When my cat knocks my laptop off the dining table and breaks the screen. The screen replacement would cost more that what the laptop is worth so I have to buy a new laptop now instead for school *grump*. I was looking at a parts comp on ebay but most already have the screen removed and cost about the same with postage as a new screen. Now I just need access another laptop for a few hours to get my data off the HD. The laptop was unbackupable (hey new word) due to some weird as software errors.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #9966 on: December 09, 2012, 04:50:54 AM »
Oh man...I'm sorry about your laptop!

It drives me up the wall when someplace gets our order wrong.  We tried a new delivery place last night, and there were four mistakes with our order.  We ordered a cheesesteak wrap and a cheesesteak, both with cheese.  I distinctly remember saying, "with cheese, please".  They forgot the cheese on both of them; first two mistakes.  Third mistake; I was asked if I wanted dipping sauce with my broccoli and cheese bites, I said yes, they didn't put it in the bag.  Fourth mistake; we got an extra order of fries that we didn't even order.  The receipt, which we double checked, had the correct order printed out on it, but they royally messed up our order.  They lost four customers last night.  >:(

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9967 on: December 09, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »

It drives me up the wall when someplace gets our order wrong.  We tried a new delivery place last night, and there were four mistakes with our order.  We ordered a cheesesteak wrap and a cheesesteak, both with cheese.  I distinctly remember saying, "with cheese, please".  They forgot the cheese on both of them; first two mistakes.  Third mistake; I was asked if I wanted dipping sauce with my broccoli and cheese bites, I said yes, they didn't put it in the bag.  Fourth mistake; we got an extra order of fries that we didn't even order.  The receipt, which we double checked, had the correct order printed out on it, but they royally messed up our order.  They lost four customers last night.  >:(

Though I've never eaten it, I would assume cheesesteak comes with cheese...I mean it's right there in the name.

Cheese.Steak.  ::)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9968 on: December 09, 2012, 09:27:58 AM »
My restaurant food complaint. 

Papa John's cheese dipping sauce.  I don't know what the heck was done do it.  It has gone from a delicious, thick, slightly spicy cheese sauce to a watery, won't stick to pizza crust, nasty, drippy mess.

Bleh.   >:(

I thought it was a one off the last time I ordered it or that it was just really warm, but even after leaving it in the fridge overnight, it never became the thick, gooey sauce I love.  >:(  So I guess, no more Papa John's pizza for me cause it's just not the same without the cheese sauce.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #9969 on: December 09, 2012, 09:36:22 AM »

Though I've never eaten it, I would assume cheesesteak comes with cheese...I mean it's right there in the name.

In general, yes.  For some reason, though, a couple of the places that we've ordered from have cheese as an extra topping that you have to specifically ask for.  I don't understand it either.  :-\

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9970 on: December 09, 2012, 10:19:33 AM »

In general, yes.  For some reason, though, a couple of the places that we've ordered from have cheese as an extra topping that you have to specifically ask for.  I don't understand it either.  :-\

Please tell me you don't live in the Philadelphia region.  I don't think I could take it.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #9971 on: December 09, 2012, 10:20:31 AM »
We live about 45 minutes away from there.  Trust me, after this experience, we're going back to our old stand-by!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9972 on: December 09, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
You sometimes have to wonder what some people who work in restaurants are thinking. 

It doesn't happen often but we've received a cous-cous without the cous and a quesidilla with no queso.  It's puzzling.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9973 on: December 09, 2012, 11:07:09 AM »
We live about 45 minutes away from there.  Trust me, after this experience, we're going back to our old stand-by!

:'(

I seriously may have to repost my dissertation on how to make a proper cheesesteak so you can print it out and tape it on their front window facing in.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9974 on: December 09, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
You sometimes have to wonder what some people who work in restaurants are thinking. 

It doesn't happen often but we've received a cous-cous without the cous and a quesidilla with no queso.  It's puzzling.

Add to that list this question: What kind of dressing do you want for your Caesar salad?