Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1820544 times)

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #9975 on: December 09, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »
I'm not a good speller and use spell check quite often.  I hate when I sound out a word and spell check has no idea what word I wish to use and gives me totally off the wall suggestions.

I work with words for a living so it's my nightmare to send out an e-mail with typos. For some reason, my work e-mail feels that all contractions aren't words. So every time I use "weren't" or "haven't", it underlines them. I spend way too much time trying to ensure that I spell "isn't" correctly.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

kckgirl

« Reply #9976 on: December 09, 2012, 02:02:39 PM »
We live about 45 minutes away from there.  Trust me, after this experience, we're going back to our old stand-by!

:'(

I seriously may have to repost my dissertation on how to make a proper cheesesteak so you can print it out and tape it on their front window facing in.

Steak, provolone, fried onions, lettuce, tomato (for me). None of that nasty cheese sauce!

Who ever heard of a cheese steak with no cheese? That's a steak sandwich!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 02:05:13 PM by kckgirl »
Maryland

Kaymyth

« Reply #9977 on: December 09, 2012, 03:26:39 PM »
I'm not a good speller and use spell check quite often.  I hate when I sound out a word and spell check has no idea what word I wish to use and gives me totally off the wall suggestions.

I work with words for a living so it's my nightmare to send out an e-mail with typos. For some reason, my work e-mail feels that all contractions aren't words. So every time I use "weren't" or "haven't", it underlines them. I spend way too much time trying to ensure that I spell "isn't" correctly.

If you right-click on the underlined word, you should have an option to add it to your computer's dictionary and stop it from doing it again.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9978 on: December 09, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »
We live about 45 minutes away from there.  Trust me, after this experience, we're going back to our old stand-by!

:'(

I seriously may have to repost my dissertation on how to make a proper cheesesteak so you can print it out and tape it on their front window facing in.

Steak, provolone, fried onions, lettuce, tomato (for me). None of that nasty cheese sauce!

Who ever heard of a cheese steak with no cheese? That's a steak sandwich!

What you described is a cheesesteak hoagie.  The proper cheesesteak requires but four ingredients:  Paper thin sliced sandwich steak, fried onions, provolone cheese (although if you *must*, American cheese... the white, never the yellow... can be substituted), and proper Italian rolls.  The cheesesteak hoagie (I haven't had one in a long time... I must rectify that) is also exceptional, but I have to admit I prefer the pizza steak to the cheesesteak (thin steak, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, Italian roll).

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #9979 on: December 09, 2012, 07:11:35 PM »

If you right-click on the underlined word, you should have an option to add it to your computer's dictionary and stop it from doing it again.

Thanks, I'll try that. Outlook and I are not friends  :-\
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #9980 on: December 10, 2012, 12:11:48 AM »
This isn't really a "little" thing, but similar things have happened before, and it really gets old after a while.  In short, it's finding out that I'm a world-class sucker. 

Going into more detail; there's an online friend whom I used to RP with, but I guess about five months ago she moved on to another fandom.  Fine.  But instead of letting me know it was "over", she strung me along by throwing me a "bone" every few weeks or so (at first; she stopped doing that), and saying, "We'll start it up again someday, I promise."  Now, I wasn't being a pest.  I was simply signing in to chat, because I thought we were friends.  I think she even sees it that way.  But what I really am to her is a sounding board, someone she's only really interested in talking to when she wants to vent, and I think she wanted to keep me in reserve in case she ever did get interested in the fandom again. 

No...five months is long enough to gather dust on the shelf, and it's way too long for a person (me) to take to get a clue.  I'm an idiot, I admit this.  The thing that galls me is, if our positions were reversed, she would have been very hurt...and she would have vented to anyone who would listen about the "mean" thing I did to her.  If she's so concerned about keeping our "friendship", maybe she should actually treat me like a friend.

Maybe someday I'll learn.

Adelaide

« Reply #9981 on: December 10, 2012, 12:47:03 AM »
This isn't really a "little" thing, but similar things have happened before, and it really gets old after a while.  In short, it's finding out that I'm a world-class sucker. 

Going into more detail; there's an online friend whom I used to RP with, but I guess about five months ago she moved on to another fandom.  Fine.  But instead of letting me know it was "over", she strung me along by throwing me a "bone" every few weeks or so (at first; she stopped doing that), and saying, "We'll start it up again someday, I promise."  Now, I wasn't being a pest.  I was simply signing in to chat, because I thought we were friends.  I think she even sees it that way.  But what I really am to her is a sounding board, someone she's only really interested in talking to when she wants to vent, and I think she wanted to keep me in reserve in case she ever did get interested in the fandom again. 

No...five months is long enough to gather dust on the shelf, and it's way too long for a person (me) to take to get a clue.  I'm an idiot, I admit this.  The thing that galls me is, if our positions were reversed, she would have been very hurt...and she would have vented to anyone who would listen about the "mean" thing I did to her.  If she's so concerned about keeping our "friendship", maybe she should actually treat me like a friend.

Maybe someday I'll learn.

Don't worry, it happens to all of us. I rp-ed in AIM with this girl for a couple of months and it seemed like we were hitting it off. We had this big thread going and then one day I logged on and she started telling me how she was a graphic designer. Okay, cool. Then we'd rp for a bit and she'd have to go. When she logged back on she linked me to some samples of her work. I politely replied that they were neat looking. Her replies got more and more sporadic and she kept mentioning her work and how things were tight at the moment. But "of course" she still wanted to rp. Problem was we spent 90% of the time talking about her graphic design work. Finally one day she flat-out gave me her prices and told me that she needed money, and shouldn't I get a new header for the blog I mentioned having anyway? I dropped her like a hot potato.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9982 on: December 10, 2012, 07:06:22 AM »
Subway entertainers.  Some of them are good, but others are intrusive and I resent being their captive audience.

Last night a group of five guys were in the train doing breakdancing moves to rap in the car.  Not only do I despise this "music", it was loud enough to interfere with most passengers' ability to read or converse.  It would also have been impossible for anyone near them to get up to move toward the door as the train approached the next stop.  They didn't collect much money in that car.

The ones in the stations can be obnoxious as well because of the echoes, but one doesn't have to stand near them.  However, the ones that attract crowds can be an issue if the crowd is large enough that you have to walk around them to get where you're going.

LibraryLady

« Reply #9983 on: December 10, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »
A favorite author is Lee Child - he has the Jack Reacher series.  Now if you are familiar with the series:  this is who Reacher is:  " JACK Reacher towers over most people as he is a six-foot-five-inch (196cm) giant. He is not much of a talker, has an impressive 50-inch (127cm) chest, ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair. He is a former military man who stays off the grid and wanders alone around America carrying only a foldable toothbrush."

On December 21st, the movie "Jack Reacher" will be released with Tom Cruise as him.  I may have to go to see the move.  The movie is based upon the book "One Shot".

onyonryngs

« Reply #9984 on: December 10, 2012, 05:41:31 PM »
A favorite author is Lee Child - he has the Jack Reacher series.  Now if you are familiar with the series:  this is who Reacher is:  " JACK Reacher towers over most people as he is a six-foot-five-inch (196cm) giant. He is not much of a talker, has an impressive 50-inch (127cm) chest, ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair. He is a former military man who stays off the grid and wanders alone around America carrying only a foldable toothbrush."

On December 21st, the movie "Jack Reacher" will be released with Tom Cruise as him.  I may have to go to see the move.  The movie is based upon the book "One Shot".

I felt the same way (still do) about Interview With A Vampire

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9985 on: December 10, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
It drives me up the wall when people feel the need to comment about how I'm reading a book.  If I have my Kindle, they'll pester me with questions constantly.  If I don't have my Kindle, they'll ask why I don't have it, or make some remark about, "I didn't realize you could still buy real books!".  ::)  Please people.  I get half an hour for lunch, and I want to spend it, you know, reading!  One guy has gotten so bad about pestering me that, if I see him when I go to get my lunch, I turn around and go back to my desk and eat later! 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9986 on: December 10, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »

The sequel shall star Verne Troyer.

PeterM

« Reply #9987 on: December 10, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »

And the third one will star Nicolas Cage as Tiny Elvis playing Jack Reacher.

"This gun is huuuuuuuuge, man!"

I agree, though, that Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher is possibly the most ridiculous casting decision since John Wayne as Genghis Khan. It wouldn't be such a big deal with many other action characters, because Cruise can convincingly portray a dangerous, intimidating man despite the fact that he's legally a midget in 34 states (and an animal in the other 34). But Jack Reacher is a big guy. It's an integral part of his character.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9988 on: December 11, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »

And the third one will star Nicolas Cage as Tiny Elvis playing Jack Reacher.

"This gun is huuuuuuuuge, man!"

I agree, though, that Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher is possibly the most ridiculous casting decision since John Wayne as Genghis Khan. It wouldn't be such a big deal with many other action characters, because Cruise can convincingly portray a dangerous, intimidating man despite the fact that he's legally a midget in 34 states (and an animal in the other 34). But Jack Reacher is a big guy. It's an integral part of his character.

That made me laugh quite a bit! How tall is the guy anyway? I've heard various reports, anywhere from 5'4" to 5'7", and that Nicole Kidman is reported as saying she was glad to be able to wear heels again once they broke up. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9989 on: December 11, 2012, 10:13:37 AM »
Back OT

In my infinite wisdom, I took four courses this term and two of those courses required me to participate in a group project. This was a first for me since grade school, and I did as much collaboration as possible. Each group was five students.

The first group project consisted of obtaining consent, conducting observations, writing up the observations, compiling it all into one presentation, and then multiple revisions. This project went extremely well. All parties put effort and time into it and I did the final editing and submission. That project earned a 95/100.

The second group had no direction, and virtually no communication until the week the project was due. The main bulk of the work on the project was done within two days of the due date. Although I had worked on getting all sources into a similar format and did as much as I could on my own, we ended up with a 80/100 grade. I think that was generous. The gnashing and wailing from my group partners is incredible.

I am so glad this term is over.