Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1689889 times)

Betelnut

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10005 on: December 13, 2012, 12:13:24 PM »
My hair is finally growing back after it fell out this summer due to chemotherapy session.  I'm no longer wearing littler hats to cover my bald head and the hair is about 1/2-1 inch long now.  Yeah!  Great! 

But...it is driving my crazy that everyone has to mention it and go on and on about it.  Okay, yes, it is growing but I don't want to have the same conversation over and over.  Sigh.

I wish they would just say, "You're looking good!" and leave it at that.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

BarensMom

« Reply #10006 on: December 13, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »
My hair is finally growing back after it fell out this summer due to chemotherapy session.  I'm no longer wearing littler hats to cover my bald head and the hair is about 1/2-1 inch long now.  Yeah!  Great! 

But...it is driving my crazy that everyone has to mention it and go on and on about it.  Okay, yes, it is growing but I don't want to have the same conversation over and over.  Sigh.

I hope you're doing well health wise, and I'm glad your hair is coming back in time for winter.  I guess they're mentioning the hair because, to them, it may be a visible sign that you're recovering.   

Betelnut

« Reply #10007 on: December 13, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »

I hope you're doing well health wise, and I'm glad your hair is coming back in time for winter.  I guess they're mentioning the hair because, to them, it may be a visible sign that you're recovering.

Thanks!  And I know people are just being nice but it just gets old.  The first time it is mentioned it is fun.  The 50th time?  Annoying.  It's no one's fault but it is just driving me nuts!  Luckily, after Christmas, I think I will have seen everyone that can make comments so they will stop.  I hope!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10008 on: December 13, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »
It's a silly li'l thing, really.  My youngest child's name is Liam because I was looking for an Irish name and Liam Neeson is one of my favorite actors, and he's Irish.  When I introduce him, people say "Oh William?" (Granted Liam can be a nickname for William but not in my son's case.

I say "Oh it's just Liam" I spell it, smile and say "Like Liam Neeson!"

"No, like Liam Hemsworth!" Like I said, silly little thing but why say "No" cause really, it doesn't really matter which Liam, so long as the point is made the child's name is Liam.  That and the first time I heard it I said "Um, who?" lol.  In all fairness I guess anyone who doesn't know who Liam Neeson is might be saying the same thing.  Though I don't know many who don't know who he is. Even my DH who doesn't care enough to remember actors names and what they were in knows Liam Neeson.

And FWIW I do know who Liam Hemsworth is now but my first reaction was "Isn't that the guy who played Thor?" Nope, that's his brother apparently! LOL!

Or, like DD14, who would say "Like the guy in One Direction!"  ::).  Especially if your Liam is a blue-eyed blonde.

(My brother now lives in a house once rented by Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson when they filmed a movie in Oregon.  Their autographed pictures are in the local pizza place  ;D)

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #10009 on: December 13, 2012, 02:51:18 PM »
When I'm in a tear trying to accomplish a task (such as getting the house clean prior to an event) and someone asks me what they can do to help.  I'll tell them that tasks A, B and C still need to be completed.  So they go sit down and watch TV or sew or putter around in the garage. (And for the record, none of those were things that needed to be completed.)

WHY did they bother asking me if they weren't actually going to help?  Now I'm busy and mad.  My MIL does this all the time and I suspect it's so she can say, "Well I did ask." and leave out the part where she totally ignored me.   ::)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10010 on: December 13, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »
It's a silly li'l thing, really.  My youngest child's name is Liam because I was looking for an Irish name and Liam Neeson is one of my favorite actors, and he's Irish.  When I introduce him, people say "Oh William?" (Granted Liam can be a nickname for William but not in my son's case.

I say "Oh it's just Liam" I spell it, smile and say "Like Liam Neeson!"

"No, like Liam Hemsworth!" Like I said, silly little thing but why say "No" cause really, it doesn't really matter which Liam, so long as the point is made the child's name is Liam.  That and the first time I heard it I said "Um, who?" lol.  In all fairness I guess anyone who doesn't know who Liam Neeson is might be saying the same thing.  Though I don't know many who don't know who he is. Even my DH who doesn't care enough to remember actors names and what they were in knows Liam Neeson.

And FWIW I do know who Liam Hemsworth is now but my first reaction was "Isn't that the guy who played Thor?" Nope, that's his brother apparently! LOL!

Or, like DD14, who would say "Like the guy in One Direction!"  ::).  Especially if your Liam is a blue-eyed blonde.

(My brother now lives in a house once rented by Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson when they filmed a movie in Oregon.  Their autographed pictures are in the local pizza place  ;D)

As it happens, he is a blue eyed blondie!  LOL!  I've heard about 1D a lot, mainly cause my oldest is 11 and a lot of girls in his grade have gone from adoring Justin Bieber to adoring the guys of 1D. I don't know their names though.  It's becoming a popular name again, as mine is the 3rd Liam at our church and it seems anyone we run across in town knows a kid named Liam. 

And that is so cool! :)  Isn't Pierce Brosnan Irish too?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10011 on: December 13, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »
When I'm in a tear trying to accomplish a task (such as getting the house clean prior to an event) and someone asks me what they can do to help.  I'll tell them that tasks A, B and C still need to be completed.  So they go sit down and watch TV or sew or putter around in the garage. (And for the record, none of those were things that needed to be completed.)

WHY did they bother asking me if they weren't actually going to help?  Now I'm busy and mad.  My MIL does this all the time and I suspect it's so she can say, "Well I did ask." and leave out the part where she totally ignored me.   ::)

Try actually assigning a specific task.  'MIL, it would be great if you could peel the potatoes and leave them in a pot of water on the stove for me.'  Then she can't claim she didn't know what to do.  I know a lot of people who, given a choice between 2 or 3 things, can't chose for the life of them but if you tell them exactly what to do, they're golden.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lilfox

« Reply #10012 on: December 14, 2012, 12:26:29 AM »
When someone reposts a blog post on Facebook, and I read it and realize that rather than being a snarky social commentary, its actually quite condescending and mean spirited.  And people I otherwise respect are leaving "yes!" comments.  And I can't respond because what's the point?  If someone is willing to dedicate an entire post to (paraphrasing) "10 reasons why decision Y is terrible and you are an idiot if you didn't choose X like me" nothing I say will make a dent.

Also obnoxious is the friend who posts things like, "ugh my run was sooooo slow today, Z min per mile" where Z is faster than my pace on a good day.  Thanks for that.

In both these cases, I don't honestly care that they have different opinions or goals than me.  What bugs me is the annoying, negative, and judgy way they were presented.  Both things could easily have been written in such a way that anyone might relate, like "10 reasons why I decided X" or the slow run comment without the time.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10013 on: December 14, 2012, 07:50:42 AM »
When Meetup groups post an event but with the caveat "Needs a location" or "Needs a date."  Really, how can people plan when they have conflicting possibilities (which is very likely this time of year)?

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #10014 on: December 14, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »

Try actually assigning a specific task.  'MIL, it would be great if you could peel the potatoes and leave them in a pot of water on the stove for me.'  Then she can't claim she didn't know what to do.  I know a lot of people who, given a choice between 2 or 3 things, can't chose for the life of them but if you tell them exactly what to do, they're golden.

I have done that before and was met with "Well, I think I'll let you do that."  So I thought maybe a choice would work better.  What this means is she really just doesn't want to do anything other get credit for asking.  (and she doesn't have to help at all, but if someone is going to ask what they can do, I'm not going to turn it down!)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #10015 on: December 14, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »
My DS's toys.  For a myriad of reasons.

1) They are too easy to kneel or stand on. Case in point - last night I knelt down next to DS. Unfortunately my left knee found one of his toy cars.  I made a move to get up and twisted my knee. The pain. The pain!!!!!!!!!

2) They are noisy and very catchy.

3) They usually if not always require batteries which are not included with the toy.  Therefore you have to buy the batteries with the toy. Tres annoying.

4) The individual pieces usually end up lost down the back of the sofa or under the sofa. Or behind his playpen. Or as in yesterday's case in the washing machine.  :-\

But we love them really and more importantly DS loves them!  ;D
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10016 on: December 14, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »

I'll admit to doing this to my mother, but in my defense, she'd tell me she needed my help getting the house ready, say for guests on Christmas Eve. I'd say fine, what can i do? "Vacuum the living room and dining room", which I'd do, and would then ask what else? She'd hem and haw and say "give me a minute" which woudl turn into 5, 10 or more, I'd get tired of waiting, and go read a book or turn on the tv, she'd get mad, and make PA comments such as "must be nice to have time to sit around"

I finally cured her of this by telling her the only way I'd agree to help was if she gave me a list up front, with everything she wanted done, so I could do one, then another etc. If she failed to provide me witht that, she was on her own, and no complaining was allowed!  And it worked!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10017 on: December 14, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »
Greeting card stock and pen ink that are incompatible.  The other night I was signing cards only to discover that the ink from my Uniball took forever to dry on the cards.  I barely own old-fashioned ball points, but even the two I had only had a limited life expectancy on that stock, which felt like it was covered in lacquer.

The envelopes were so thin they could have been old-fashioned airline paper.  No wonder people are sending fewer paper cards.

Adelaide

« Reply #10018 on: December 15, 2012, 01:31:01 PM »
When I go home I'm still getting a variation on the theme of wide eyes and clasped hands and "Oh! Why didn't you just go to InState School?"  I fantasize about using some reply like "Wow, we have one of those here? I had no idea!"

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10019 on: December 15, 2012, 07:39:50 PM »
People who panic at the tiniest little life glitch without trying to figure out the solution for themselves.  Someone called me last night panicking over a change on her internet home page and an accidental thing she did to shrink the fonts on her Facebook page instead of looking for the accidentally hidden toolbar or a help page for the problem.