Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1690934 times)

LB

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10185 on: December 28, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »
We did a Secret Santa game at work this year. There are so many Secret Santa's (including mine!) who have not revealed themselves. Is this not part of the game? Everyone seems to be waiting for some kind of announcement that it's okay to tell your recipient. People are sending out company wide emails every day: "Thank you Secret Santa...whoever you are..." It's driving me crazy. I want to know who my Secret Santa is!!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #10186 on: December 28, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention my own gripe, now safely laid to rest for the next 11 months -- people, particularly singers, who say "Sanna" or "Sanny" instead of "Santa."  It's not that hard to say, people!   

Singing consonants like T and D that aren't in the beginning of a word actually isn't easy, because of the tongue placement. They tend to come out too strong and divide the word in two. S is also problematic, because of the hissing sound.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10187 on: December 28, 2012, 04:46:31 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention my own gripe, now safely laid to rest for the next 11 months -- people, particularly singers, who say "Sanna" or "Sanny" instead of "Santa."  It's not that hard to say, people!   

Singing consonants like T and D that aren't in the beginning of a word actually isn't easy, because of the tongue placement. They tend to come out too strong and divide the word in two. S is also problematic, because of the hissing sound.

I agree with this.  In fact, what drives me up a wall is people who pronounce words like "important" as if the word were "Im port tant".

caz

« Reply #10188 on: December 28, 2012, 09:10:59 PM »
We did a Secret Santa game at work this year. There are so many Secret Santa's (including mine!) who have not revealed themselves. Is this not part of the game? Everyone seems to be waiting for some kind of announcement that it's okay to tell your recipient. People are sending out company wide emails every day: "Thank you Secret Santa...whoever you are..." It's driving me crazy. I want to know who my Secret Santa is!!

I think some people crack, but I always thought that you were supposed to keep it secret...

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10189 on: December 29, 2012, 12:31:47 AM »

I think some people crack, but I always thought that you were supposed to keep it secret...

Any I have seen have revealed at the Christmas party at end of the week. It's after Christmas now so should be all done.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #10190 on: December 30, 2012, 01:04:45 AM »
What drives me up the wall is when you're cruising along an aisle at the car park and you think you see a spot, but it's a small car driven all the way up to the front. So, it's not a space at all. Drives me batty. "Little cars, little cars." I snarl to myself.

Victoria

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #10191 on: December 30, 2012, 08:21:09 AM »
What drives me up the wall is when you're cruising along an aisle at the car park and you think you see a spot, but it's a small car driven all the way up to the front. So, it's not a space at all. Drives me batty. "Little cars, little cars." I snarl to myself.
And now I want to watch Annie. :D

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10192 on: December 30, 2012, 08:38:35 AM »
Poorly designed parking lots. The ones that people can't pull into and keep going. They have to top/slow to 1 mph to turn or continue in because the enterence lane ends 1 car length in, or because there is some other problem that stops traffic. Especially when they are built for shopping centers off busy roads like HW 6 or Bunker Hill. enterence
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10193 on: December 30, 2012, 08:41:22 AM »
Television networks whose run times are off the hour.  The other day I recorded a TV episode I'd not previously seen and the recording stopped 10 seconds short of the end of the episode.

mmswm

« Reply #10194 on: December 30, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »
Lack of handicap parking.  I had a wonderful retail therapy session with my mother last night, but there was a slight damper because of the amount of handicap parking available.  She's currently in a wheelchair, so she *needs* those spots to have enough space to get in and out of the car.  We went to a big box store and there were four spaces!  Are you kidding me?  This is another reason why Target is my store of choice.  They don't have just the legal minimum.  They have corporate standards for the number of spaces each store needs to have, and it's always more than other stores in the area, and I never have trouble finding an appropriate spot.

On another note, if you see somebody parked WAY out in the back of the parking lot taking up two spaces, it's probably because they created their own "handicap" space, and wanted to make sure that they could get their wheelchair bound passenger into the car when they came out of the store.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #10195 on: December 30, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »
Television networks whose run times are off the hour.  The other day I recorded a TV episode I'd not previously seen and the recording stopped 10 seconds short of the end of the episode.

I actually stopped watching several free-to-air stations some years ago, because they weren't just 10 seconds off the hour, but 10-20 minutes.  Program to run 8:30 to 9:30?  Yup, it would start around 8:45 and finish around 9:50.  The program guides had the times down as the half-hours, my clocks were right (I checked), and yet, persistently, I'd allow an extra 10-15 minutes at the end of the program and still miss recording it all. 

I think it started as a network strategy to keep viewers on that station.  So, if what you're watching finishes 5 minutes later than the half-hour, then what you may want to watch on the opposition network has already started, so if you've missed the beginning, you'll stay where you are.  Then several networks started doing it.  Grrrr.

No idea what they're like now, because I never watch them any more, and most things I want to see on the satellite paid network I record anyway.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10196 on: December 30, 2012, 09:56:07 PM »
You are right on the money about the network strategy to keep viewers.  It annoys the crap out of me and I've seen it on the Spanish networks as well.  Gets on my last nerve.  However, due to the program sources and their audiences, I don't think it has affected their viewership very much.

It is annoying, nonetheless.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #10197 on: December 31, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »

House used to always do that. I would always miss the parting quip, which was sometimes a cliff-hanger for the next episode. Very frustrating.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #10198 on: December 31, 2012, 10:39:49 AM »

House used to always do that. I would always miss the parting quip, which was sometimes a cliff-hanger for the next episode. Very frustrating.

Discovery had a habit of verbally  announcing the next show during the final piece to camera on Mythbusters - so annoying!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10199 on: January 02, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »
I had the same problem, with my last cable provider, and would have to set my DVR to record several minutes past the actual end time. I think it was them though, since having swtiched, I don't have that problem with my new provider. I can simply hit record, and I get all the show, without the end being cut off.