Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1705680 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10245 on: January 04, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »
When I'm putting pants on the baby.  Usually put them on when he's laying down or at least get the little legs in, then stand him up to pull them over his bum.  What does he do? Pulls his legs out of the pants.  I  put them back on one by one. 

Put the second leg in, he pulls out the first. Put it back in, he pulls out the other.  Like putting pants on an octopus, I swear.

Totally this. The twins are 13 months old, and getting pants on them can be an exercise in futility some days. Not to mention, in order to have the correct length of pant, the waist is often too big, so they end up crawling out of them!

Also, diaper changes are apparently torture to them-don't they know we'd be done a whole lot faster if they didn't scream, try and roll over, or sit up, or stand? And they're also at the point where they just love to put their hands in the dirty diaper, so it's ever so much fun to try and keep the mess contained, their hands away, clean them up, and keep them from crawling away! All while they scream their heads off. I'm fortunate that my husband DOES understand that I spend all day with them, and so if I say I need time away to decompress, he takes over and tells me to have fun. :)

13 month old twins getting dressed must feel even more like dressing an octopus at times than just one.   And I know what you mean about the length and waist of the pants.  All 3 of my boys have always been long in the torso, short in the legs when they were little.  Like right now, a 2T shirt would fit him just fine but when wearing 18m pants? If not for the diaper we'd have serious plumber's crack going on. 

He's pretty good about diaper changes in that he doesn't yell and if I give him something to keep his hands occupied we're alright but I don't always have something in reach to keep his hands occupied and then they go wandering.

Oy.

DH and I made a deal when I found out I was expecting this one though. Every Saturday is my day off.  He looks after the 3 boys so I can go out and do my thing.  I got to see Les Miserables last Saturday, hit up the craft store, Target, etc. :)

And I like your suggestions Elfmama.  :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

snowflake

« Reply #10246 on: January 04, 2013, 12:58:12 PM »
Snowflake, is it possible to close your office door during lunch to keep people out, or do they barge in? Does your office have a door? (Some don't!)

The door doesn't lock.  It's a long explanation but the whole building is designed to be "welcoming" which means zero privacy.

My current real peeve? People who don't understand that "Working from home" does not mean available for long telephone chats, meeting up at their convenience, running errands for them etc. I've just cut short yet another conversation with a relative who phoned for "just a chat" right in the middle of my work day, and I know I'll catch it in the neck from them later on. They don't do this when I'm in an office, but apparently because I'm working from home my deadlines aren't real.

Am I seriously going to have to go back to turning the phone off?

My current pet peeve is when I have to work from home for some reason and someone castigates me because the baby still goes to the sitter.  If I'm at home can't I just work and watch him at the same time? 

No.  My work requires undiluted focus and so does the baby.

squeakers

« Reply #10247 on: January 04, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »
One of the cats wants outside really badly.  He wants to eat grass.  We are at the start of winter and have a nice amount of snow on the ground.  The grass is brown.  It's cold outside.  But still he wants to go out and check. Daily..

And he is ignoring the nice batch of cat grass we grew especially for him (the other 3 will nibble it.. even one of the dogs will nibble it).

I think next fall we will comb the ditches for grass seed heads and try growing "ditch" grass. Maybe then he will be content.

I also have thought about trying to make a grass roll-up for him.. grind grass into a slurry and dehydrate it into a chewy.  But that will have to wait until summer.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10248 on: January 04, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
When I want to reread a particular book, but can't for the life of me remember either title OR author!  And having done library work, I know the futility of searching for vaguely worded descriptions like "It was about a boy and a dog, and I think the cover was blue." Even "It was about a little girl who was stolen and adopted by the Comanche in mid-19th century Texas, but it wasn't Ride the Wind" is pretty vague.  So I rarely bother the nice reference librarians.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #10249 on: January 04, 2013, 02:26:12 PM »
Empire of the Summer Moon?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10250 on: January 04, 2013, 02:26:35 PM »
When I want to reread a particular book, but can't for the life of me remember either title OR author!  And having done library work, I know the futility of searching for vaguely worded descriptions like "It was about a boy and a dog, and I think the cover was blue." Even "It was about a little girl who was stolen and adopted by the Comanche in mid-19th century Texas, but it wasn't Ride the Wind" is pretty vague.  So I rarely bother the nice reference librarians.

I used to ALWAYS have that issue, back in the day, as soon as I'd walk into a record store. Anything I might have possibly wanted to look for went right out of my head. It was very strange. Drove me nuts too!

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #10251 on: January 04, 2013, 02:34:19 PM »

I used to ALWAYS have that issue, back in the day, as soon as I'd walk into a record store. Anything I might have possibly wanted to look for went right out of my head. It was very strange. Drove me nuts too!

That used to happen to me all the time. It still happens sometimes when I go to the iTunes store to look for a song.  :P
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #10252 on: January 04, 2013, 02:42:41 PM »

Or The Captured: A True Story of Abduction by Indians on the Texas Frontier?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10253 on: January 04, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »
Lots older.  A Woman of the People.  The name "Katy Sunflower" popped into my head a few weeks back and that let me google it.  Loosely based on Cynthia Ann Parker, I believe. 

But that's only one of many.  Sometimes there isn't even a plot in memory, just a scrap of dialog or description.  And let me tell you, boy/dog/blue cover is easy compared to "tugging crossly at chains that only she herself could see."
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #10254 on: January 04, 2013, 02:55:18 PM »
Ah. I think I've read that one. 

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #10255 on: January 04, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »
The fact that not all my music is the same volume. I like to leave a playlist on loud when I'm cleaning other rooms, so I'll be grooving along to something, the next song will be whisper quiet, so I go turn up the volume, and then the next song is deafening.

m2kbug

« Reply #10256 on: January 04, 2013, 05:31:27 PM »
When you go to a web page and the ad or video automatically loads and starts playing.  Worse when you can't find what's making all the noise to stop it....or if you do track it down it doesn't give you an option to stop or mute or it won't stop even if there is an option. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10257 on: January 04, 2013, 09:02:32 PM »
Babylon search, which leads to too many detours.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10258 on: January 04, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »

That used to happen to me all the time. It still happens sometimes when I go to the iTunes store to look for a song.  :P

Yup! I have to make a list of the songs I want before I open iTunes or I'll get all distracted and forget what I opened it for to begin with.  ;D

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10259 on: January 04, 2013, 11:32:28 PM »

Yup! I have to make a list of the songs I want before I open iTunes or I'll get all distracted and forget what I opened it for to begin with.  ;D

I also have that problem with Amazon, but I found if I see something for my Kindle that looks interesting, but don't feel like buying right then and there, I keep a separate, Kindle only, wish list, and when I want something new to read, or have some extra bucks, I go back and look. Otherwise, I'd be scratching my head, going " now I know there was some book about purple cats and aliens, what WAS that called?