Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1859750 times)

Adelaide

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10260 on: January 05, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »
When my father can't find me, be it in a house or in Wegman's, he just yells "ADDIE!" with his loud, booming voice. It's a habit that I have had no succes in breaking. Today this occurred at an estate sale and the woman beside me almost dropped the vase she was holding when he yelled at me from two rooms over. I felt it was my civic duty to turn to the scowling people beside me and say "Please excuse my father's volume, he has dementia." I have informed my father that this will be my go-to response from now on, and he has finally shown signs of relenting. Huzzah.

(Please note that I do not consider dementia funny and I have had several elderly relatives with it so I know what a problem it actually is.)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10261 on: January 05, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
Which is why this is the effective method for dealing with your father's embarrassing habit.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #10262 on: January 06, 2013, 12:19:59 AM »
When my father can't find me, be it in a house or in Wegman's, he just yells "ADDIE!" with his loud, booming voice. It's a habit that I have had no succes in breaking. Today this occurred at an estate sale and the woman beside me almost dropped the vase she was holding when he yelled at me from two rooms over. I felt it was my civic duty to turn to the scowling people beside me and say "Please excuse my father's volume, he has dementia." I have informed my father that this will be my go-to response from now on, and he has finally shown signs of relenting. Huzzah.

(Please note that I do not consider dementia funny and I have had several elderly relatives with it so I know what a problem it actually is.)

I so feel your pain. My dad does the very same thing. Even though I have a sister, whenever we are all out in public, it is MY name he shouts at the top of his lungs.  :-[

Redsoil

« Reply #10263 on: January 06, 2013, 02:53:01 AM »
When you've been having a good day (after some days being not-so-good) and someone just changes that in an instant.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10264 on: January 06, 2013, 08:45:42 AM »
When you order or buy something, at a discount, and a day or two later, the discount increases! I just ordered a couple things from Vera Bradley at 40% off, and today I see the sale stuff is now 50% off.  Oh well, they're sold out of the bag I ordered anyway, but even so :)

JoW

« Reply #10265 on: January 06, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
My current real peeve? People who don't understand that "Working from home" does not mean available for long telephone chats, meeting up at their convenience, running errands for them etc. I've just cut short yet another conversation with a relative who phoned for "just a chat" right in the middle of my work day, and I know I'll catch it in the neck from them later on. They don't do this when I'm in an office, but apparently because I'm working from home my deadlines aren't real.

Am I seriously going to have to go back to turning the phone off?

I recommend screening your calls, or having time set aside to receive calls and leaving the ringer off during your work time. My MIL loves to call when she knows I have taken a day off from my office job, which is usually intended for various appointments, baking and decorating a cake order, studying, or when I am ill.

If you use a mobile phone, there is an awesome app called Semi-Silent that allows you to keep your phone on silent, but "white list" certain numbers to come through.

You can accomplish the same thing without an app.  Assign one ring tone to all of your authorized callers, then change your default ring tone to "no ring".   

mmswm

« Reply #10266 on: January 06, 2013, 05:26:18 PM »
People who can't drive a steady speed on the highway.  It's really irritating when I'm driving with the cruise control on, and the person in front of me slows up and speeds down repeatedly.  It's annoying enough when you're just playing "leapfrog" with them, but when they decide they need to speed up because somebody's passing them, the slow back down once they make it impossible for you to get past without going 30mph over the speed limit, it's enough to make me want to throw something at them.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10267 on: January 06, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »
People who can't drive a steady speed on the highway.  It's really irritating when I'm driving with the cruise control on, and the person in front of me slows up and speeds down repeatedly.  It's annoying enough when you're just playing "leapfrog" with them, but when they decide they need to speed up because somebody's passing them, the slow back down once they make it impossible for you to get past without going 30mph over the speed limit, it's enough to make me want to throw something at them.

Amen, sister.

And to top it off, the guy refuses to move out of the left lane when the right lane is clear.  Drives me nuts!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10268 on: January 06, 2013, 06:42:13 PM »
Or when you're behind them on a two lane road with a double yellow line down the middle, and when both lines are dashed or are dashed on your side of the road the person goes on or over the speed limit but as soon as the line goes solid on your side or both, suddenly they slow down by about 10mph.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #10269 on: January 06, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »
Oh, that drives me bananas as well!  I grew up in Homestead, FL, which, along with Florida City, is the last chunk of civilization before you get to "the stretch", which traverses the last bit of the mainland before getting to the Florida Keys.  Most of the stretch is a two lane road (one lane in each direction), but there are occasional passing zones.  People will drive 30mph for miles then all of a sudden speed up to 70 or 80 in the passing zones, then slow right back down when the road narrows again.  It's almost like they think "well, it's a passing zone, so there's not much to see, so I'll just speed up".  It's one of the deadliest stretches of road in the USA, and this is one of the primary reasons.

I used to have a bumper sticker that read "When I grow old I'm moving north and driving slow."
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10270 on: January 06, 2013, 08:12:50 PM »
Oh, that drives me bananas as well!  I grew up in Homestead, FL, which, along with Florida City, is the last chunk of civilization before you get to "the stretch", which traverses the last bit of the mainland before getting to the Florida Keys.  Most of the stretch is a two lane road (one lane in each direction), but there are occasional passing zones.  People will drive 30mph for miles then all of a sudden speed up to 70 or 80 in the passing zones, then slow right back down when the road narrows again.  It's almost like they think "well, it's a passing zone, so there's not much to see, so I'll just speed up".  It's one of the deadliest stretches of road in the USA, and this is one of the primary reasons.

I used to have a bumper sticker that read "When I grow old I'm moving north and driving slow."

I think part of the problem is people instinctively slow down on the narrower 2 lane stretches In Texas, where I live, most of our 2 lane highways have wide shoulders. On PEI they have almost no shoulders. I always want to drive slower on the PEI roads. But I have grown up hearing my family complain out "outsiders, tourists, and summer people"  that block up the roads going under the speed limit, so I white knuckle it and drive the speed limit if I have to drive.

On the flip side our habit of having streets go right through dry river beds with a black and white stick to tell you how high the water is in a flood (in West Texas not Houston), struck my Mom's family as crazy
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

EmmaJ.

« Reply #10271 on: January 06, 2013, 11:20:05 PM »
My current real peeve? People who don't understand that "Working from home" does not mean available for long telephone chats, meeting up at their convenience, running errands for them etc. I've just cut short yet another conversation with a relative who phoned for "just a chat" right in the middle of my work day, and I know I'll catch it in the neck from them later on. They don't do this when I'm in an office, but apparently because I'm working from home my deadlines aren't real.

Am I seriously going to have to go back to turning the phone off?

I recommend screening your calls, or having time set aside to receive calls and leaving the ringer off during your work time. My MIL loves to call when she knows I have taken a day off from my office job, which is usually intended for various appointments, baking and decorating a cake order, studying, or when I am ill.

If you use a mobile phone, there is an awesome app called Semi-Silent that allows you to keep your phone on silent, but "white list" certain numbers to come through.

You can accomplish the same thing without an app.  Assign one ring tone to all of your authorized callers, then change your default ring tone to "no ring".

Oh, clever! Thanks for sharing.

snowflake

« Reply #10272 on: January 07, 2013, 11:30:29 AM »
When you have a cold that isn't bad, but your sinuses just tickle all day.  AUGH! I want to scratch but it's inside my skull!

LB

« Reply #10273 on: January 07, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »
We did a Secret Santa game at work this year. There are so many Secret Santa's (including mine!) who have not revealed themselves. Is this not part of the game? Everyone seems to be waiting for some kind of announcement that it's okay to tell your recipient. People are sending out company wide emails every day: "Thank you Secret Santa...whoever you are..." It's driving me crazy. I want to know who my Secret Santa is!!

I think some people crack, but I always thought that you were supposed to keep it secret...

Any I have seen have revealed at the Christmas party at end of the week. It's after Christmas now so should be all done.

Yes, exactly. We didn't have a Christmas party, but many people found a way to reveal themselves, either right before we left for Christmas break or after we got back. A signed card, an email, something now that the game is over. It's now January 7th and I still have not learned who was my Secret Santa.  :( I had to resort to sending a company-wide email to thank them.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10274 on: January 07, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »

Or people who, on an empty road, will zoom up behind you in the right lane, until they're RIGHT on your bumper, then cut over to the left. And there's not another car in sight, in either lane. So why can't they just get over earlier?