Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1682870 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10350 on: January 11, 2013, 01:10:08 AM »
My cast.  It's day 2 of 21 till it comes off for more x-rays, and IT ITCHES.  Oh, and it's rubbing the pins in my hand and irritating them like it was Gilbert Gottfried on a 976 "party line".

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #10351 on: January 11, 2013, 02:31:28 AM »
White Dragon, I'm surprised at you, calling them "snowbanks". As everybody here in the Capital City knows [/end facetiousness/], they're called "*windrows"

And they are a major pain in the tuchis, especially when they are well established by January.

*Like snow mixed with sand is called "oatmeal".  And the solid brown chunks we kick off the underbody of the car are "car turds".

Oh, how glorious is winter life above the 53rd parallel!
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10352 on: January 11, 2013, 02:37:48 AM »
White Dragon, I'm surprised at you, calling them "snowbanks". As everybody here in the Capital City knows [/end facetiousness/], they're called "*windrows"

And they are a major pain in the tuchis, especially when they are well established by January.

*Like snow mixed with sand is called "oatmeal".  And the solid brown chunks we kick off the underbody of the car are "car turds".

You mind if I borrow that one?  That's a hoot!  ;D

BarensMom

« Reply #10353 on: January 11, 2013, 09:24:41 AM »
Car turds (giggle). 

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #10354 on: January 11, 2013, 09:45:33 AM »
Having multiple light switches in a room and they are not turned right. Like the steps have two switches-one on the top of the stairs and one at the bottom- and the light switch on the bottom is in the up position but the light is off. I will go upstairs and turn the light on/off so the one at the bottom is in the correct position. This goes for what ever room I am in.

Or worse: what should work that way, but as we realized in our house after we bought it—they can both turn the light on, but for the light to be off, both switches have to be "off". (And my bottom one would drive you super crazy, because "off" is up.) We’ve managed to fix some of the other funky wiring in the house and made the switch to nothing actually work, but we can’t figure out the stairs one without rewiring the whole circuit—which would probably involve tearing down walls due to the placement.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10355 on: January 11, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »
Having multiple light switches in a room and they are not turned right. Like the steps have two switches-one on the top of the stairs and one at the bottom- and the light switch on the bottom is in the up position but the light is off. I will go upstairs and turn the light on/off so the one at the bottom is in the correct position. This goes for what ever room I am in.

YES - this bugs me to no end. I live in a 2nd floor apt, which has one common front door. you open it, and my downstairs neighbor's door is to your right, and mine is up the stairs to my right. there's also a light at the top of the stairs.

There's one switch just as you walk in, which flips up to turn on. Then, just inside my door, is a second one, which flips down to turn it off, and vice versa when I'm leaving. Sometimes though, I won't turn on the light when I go in, so the bottom switch stays down, and when I leave, i have to flip it down to turn it ON, which means when I come home, the downstairs switch is "off" as well. it just drives me batty.

Second lightswitch issue: Houses that have many, and you can never remember what turns what on. My mom's house is like that.  She has two by the front door, and a third and maybe fourth, literally around the wall. Which turns on the inside light by the door, the front porch light, the light in the room off the entry, and the ceiling. But do you think I can remember which is for which? Of course not!

Then you move into the kitchen, and on the one wall, there are two, further down the wall are three more. Her house is open from one end to teh other, so the various switches turn on the kitchen, DR and LR lights, plus the ceiling fan. I'm constantly flipping them on and off to get what I want on!

And the same goes for the laundry room/garage. 3 switches, one for the room, one for hte garage, and one for who knows what.

And finally, switches that make no sense.  We had some in our old house; the former owner was a builder, and we discovered he had made some interesting fixes, etc.  which made no sense to anyone but him!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:51:13 AM by siamesecat2965 »

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #10356 on: January 11, 2013, 10:25:53 AM »
>trimmed<

Back on topic, I'm really starting to get annoyed with people who rush the elevator.  I work in a very large building (so the elevators are usually occupied) and nearly got run over yesterday at lunch time.  The elevator doors opened and a mob of people tried to get in before the occupants could even get out.

Gah. Yes. Gish and i were just talking about that yesterday. It deives both of us nuts.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Cami

« Reply #10357 on: January 11, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
The light switch placement for the kitchen in my house.

We have lived here for nearly 12 years and I've NEVER gotten used to it.

The light switch for the kitchen is placed on the wall outside the kitchen as part of a three switch plate. One switch is for the kitchen. One is for the side hall in which the plate is located and the final switch is for the foyer directly in front of the hall/kitchen joining.  I can understand why it makes sense to consolidate the switches except....

Every day for 12 years, I walk into the kitchen and reach for the non-existent light switch on the inside wall of the kitchen.

I'm not sure who is more stupid -- the person who placed the light switch outside the kitchen or me for not being able to learn the correct spot after 12 years!

But it drives me craaaaazy. I really should have paid an electrician to come in and add a light switch on the stinking wall I'm always hitting with my hand when we first bought the place!  (Now we're hoping/praying/wishing to move, so it doesn't seem worth it to make the change.)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10358 on: January 11, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »
>trimmed<

Back on topic, I'm really starting to get annoyed with people who rush the elevator.  I work in a very large building (so the elevators are usually occupied) and nearly got run over yesterday at lunch time.  The elevator doors opened and a mob of people tried to get in before the occupants could even get out.

Gah. Yes. Gish and i were just talking about that yesterday. It deives both of us nuts.

Oh, yes!  As children, I think most of us were taught that you let people out before trying to get in.  It's the only rational way to do things. 

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #10359 on: January 11, 2013, 11:09:33 AM »
The light switch placement for the kitchen in my house.

We have lived here for nearly 12 years and I've NEVER gotten used to it.

The light switch for the kitchen is placed on the wall outside the kitchen as part of a three switch plate. One switch is for the kitchen. One is for the side hall in which the plate is located and the final switch is for the foyer directly in front of the hall/kitchen joining.  I can understand why it makes sense to consolidate the switches except....

Every day for 12 years, I walk into the kitchen and reach for the non-existent light switch on the inside wall of the kitchen.

I'm not sure who is more stupid -- the person who placed the light switch outside the kitchen or me for not being able to learn the correct spot after 12 years!

But it drives me craaaaazy. I really should have paid an electrician to come in and add a light switch on the stinking wall I'm always hitting with my hand when we first bought the place!  (Now we're hoping/praying/wishing to move, so it doesn't seem worth it to make the change.)

We’ve only been in our place for a little over a year, but I do the same thing. Except our only light switch for the kitchen is directly behind the stove top. Luckily we don’t have children.

The kitchen has four different doors into it (plus the basement door), and the previous owners decided to close off the lower part of one of those doors with a counter and the stove top. Which also happened to be the door where the light switch was located. (Although having it there doesn’t make sense anyway, so I don’t know why that was done originally.)

It’s on the long list of to-dos.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10360 on: January 11, 2013, 12:46:50 PM »
I'm trying to lose a couple pounds I gained over the holiday season when I was caring a little less about what I ate cause well,holidays!

Which means a few healthy crackers with a sandwich and I'm still hungry and the bananas I bought today aren't ripe yet. I got strawberries to make with some French toast this weekend but I know me. If I start eating them I will not stop.

Thing is I know I'm probably not really that hungry, it's just the munchies.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

snowflake

« Reply #10361 on: January 11, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »

You mind if I borrow that one?  That's a hoot!  ;D

Yes, next time we have significant snowfall here I WANT to use "car turds"!

Adelaide

« Reply #10362 on: January 11, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
The hairstylist who was supposed to be cutting my hair 10 minutes ago is currently 5 feet away, talking to another stylist's client, trying to convince her to get the hair treatment that I'm getting. My stylist has been walking around for the last twenty minutes doing absolutely nothing, but apparently she can drop all that to do some talking.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10363 on: January 11, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »
I fired my last salon for that kind of behavior as well as speaking in another language to the other staff while working on my hair.

I am now driven up the wall that I can't find a non-chain salon that does cuts for less than $40.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #10364 on: January 11, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »
Go right ahead and use the term, folks. One of my secret pleasures is walking around the car, kicking off the turds as I go. Very cathartic to give a hard boot to something inanimate.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.