Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1791146 times)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10365 on: January 11, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »
When I ask DH to do/get something for me and he decides to 'upgrade' it. I've been sick this week, and last night I asked him to make me a cup of noodles. I really wanted the cheap, cup 'o noodles in the foam cup, and specifically asked for a cup of noodles, not soup. Instead he warmed up some from-scratch chicken noodle soup I had in the freezer.

Of course, I ate it, and thanked him profusely, but dang it, that's NOT what I wanted.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10366 on: January 11, 2013, 06:57:30 PM »
When I ask DH to do/get something for me and he decides to 'upgrade' it. I've been sick this week, and last night I asked him to make me a cup of noodles. I really wanted the cheap, cup 'o noodles in the foam cup, and specifically asked for a cup of noodles, not soup. Instead he warmed up some from-scratch chicken noodle soup I had in the freezer.

Of course, I ate it, and thanked him profusely, but dang it, that's NOT what I wanted.

Yes! My DH does this as well. The other day we were both craving a sweet and he went to the nearest convenience store. I had specifically asked for either this or that. He came back with something else, saying "I know you said This or That but then I saw the Other and I knew you'd want it." Erm.... thanks?  :-\

He'll also talk up a certain restaurant and when I agree and actually start craving something from there he'll say "Or, we could go Here, There or Elsewhere..." and start rattling off things that sound good from those places. Well now I want it all!  :P

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10367 on: January 12, 2013, 01:25:20 AM »
Maybe this is a new thing, I have no idea, but when I was at the supermarket yesterday I walked around the corner and came face to face with a little girl on a razor scooter... closely followed by a little boy on a bike with training wheels. Fortunately for me I am young and fit and I can dodge, although I wasn't exactly expecting to have to take evasive action in the freezer section. However the next person to come around that corner might not be so lucky.

I know that little Billy and Suzie are very excited by the new toys that Santa gave them, but bikes, scooters and all other wheeled contraptions are outside toys for a reason, particularly when they are in the hands of small children who don't have terrific motor skills yet. You wouldn't let them ride their bikes in your loungeroom, so why for pity's sake would you think it was a good idea to bring them to a place like the supermarket where not only are there other shoppers, but also shopping carts, prams and aisle displays to be navigated?

Can't imagine they're allowed, as most stores, at least in the US have even banned "heelies", the sneakers with wheels built into the heel for that very reason. Wonder how they got that past the employees? Especially the bike! :o
I took Loren and Brett ice skating the week after Christmas. I never saw so many kids with heelies in the same place. I thought they had gone out of style - because we haven't had near the problems we used to at school. In the locker area a bunch of kids wobbling around on Ice Skates and a bunch zipping around on heelies - great combination. Have to say the staff was telling the heelie kids to stop or leave.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Kukla

« Reply #10368 on: January 12, 2013, 01:26:24 AM »
I get migraines which can change how foods taste, during it and for some time after.  Due to that if I have recently experienced one I have specific food that I can eat. 

I had an ex boyfriend who didn't get that, and instead of getting the canned Tomato soup that I specifically requested and stated very clearly that it's the one thing I can eat.  He instead made tomato soup from scratch and add goat cheese and a little bit of toast.  (If I was migraine free I would've loved this soup) Unfortunately I was not and I couldn't eat it.  He became incredibly upset and angry.  He started complaining under his breath about how ungrateful I was for not wanting to eat the much better soup he'd made me.  It didn't matter that I kept explaining to him, that at any other time I would've loved the soup he made, but that in this one situation I had to have the canned. 

Needless to say it was after this that he became an ex, he just couldn't let it go that on that one night I had wanted canned soup over his homemade one.  Completing dismissing my reasons for not being able to eat it. 

Luckily I found a great guy who listens and will provide me the canned soup when needed.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #10369 on: January 12, 2013, 04:32:22 AM »
Reminds me of my ex at university who came into my bedroom to see me while I was lying in bed with a migraine.  He turned on my bedside light without warning and I screamed in pain - and he laughed.

Even afterwards, when I explained, he kept laughing because he'd "never seen someone scream at a light before".

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10370 on: January 12, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »
Shocker that he's an ex.  :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10371 on: January 12, 2013, 11:06:51 AM »
Kukla, I'm surprised that you wanted tomato soup at all with a migraine.  I get nausea with my migraines and made the mistake of having canned tomato soup for dinner.  It definitely didn't settle my stomach.   :P

I too, am astonished that he's an ex.   ;)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10372 on: January 12, 2013, 11:13:36 AM »
People who feel they're entitled to every little teeny thing you might be getting rid of. As I do every year, I'm in the process of getting rid of stuff, and have bought some other things to help me organize. I bought CD wallets, and took them all out of the cases, and put them into the wallets. So now I have two fairly small items, rather than the two larger CD towers I used to have. I bought 3 cube storage thingys, the ones you can put baskets in, and am getting rid of several small bookcases.  I also bought a new desk chair, since my old one was literally falling apart.  I also purged some books. . Nothing exciting, valubale, etc. most i picked up at sales and paid no more than a dollar or two for. But I much prefer my Kindle, so if I haven't read them, or didn't care to again, off they went. that kind of stuff.  In other words, a lot of carp

I have a couple friends who continually ask what I'm getting rid of, and why, and so on. While there are a couple of things I asked specific people if they wanted, knowing they could use or might want them, its really easier for me to simply put the rest in my car, and head off to Goodwill. So far I've been able to hold off on some who want to come "see what I've got" in case they might want it, but really, I don't have time or space to hold onto to it, waiting for the lookeyloos to come check it out. Sorry, but that's how it is. I'm not having a garage or yard sale, I'm simplifying MY life, whihc means getting the unwanted stuff out as quickly as i can!

EmmaJ.

« Reply #10373 on: January 12, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
On my way to work on Friday, I was driving a small sedan behind a large pickup truck.  We were both in the right-hand lane going the speed limit of 55 mph. 

Suddenly, without a turn signal or tapping his brakes, the pickup truck whips into the passing lane leaving me with a now clear view of a car thirty feet in front of me - who is almost at a standstill trying to turn right onto a narrow street.

Yikes!  Between stomping the brakes and swerving I was able to miss the car, but I sure wish Mr. Huge Pickup Truck realized what he had done.  >:(   

And I sure won't be going that fast again without a clear view of what is up ahead.

Kukla

« Reply #10374 on: January 12, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »
Outdoor Girl, for whatever reason campbells tomato soup is one of the few things that stays down and tastes right when I have a migraine.  I do make it with water though, if it has milk in it the taste will be off.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10375 on: January 12, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »
Maybe that's the difference - I usually make mine with skim milk.

PSA for everyone else:  If you are feeling nauseous, don't eat tomato soup.  You will not enjoy the revisit.  Trust me.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10376 on: January 12, 2013, 04:42:43 PM »
Maybe that's the difference - I usually make mine with skim milk.

PSA for everyone else:  If you are feeling nauseous, don't eat tomato soup.  You will not enjoy the revisit.  Trust me.   :)
There are a lot of things that don't taste nearly as good the second time around, but I have to agree that tomato soup made with milk is right up there at the top of the list.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dr. F.

« Reply #10377 on: January 12, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »
Pseudo-specific instructions.

I'm trying to cold stratify some seeds, and the instructions call for "moist, but not damp" soil mix. What the heck does that mean?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10378 on: January 12, 2013, 06:42:49 PM »
Bill Engvall, in one of his shows, talked about riding in a military plane and knowing they'd be pulling quite a few G's and knowing he'd get nauseus, called them ahead of time to ask what he should eat the day of.

He was told "peanut butter".  Surprised, he said "peanut butter helps with air sickness?"
"Nope, but it tastes the same way coming up as it does going down."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #10379 on: January 12, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
Pseudo-specific instructions.

I'm trying to cold stratify some seeds, and the instructions call for "moist, but not damp" soil mix. What the heck does that mean?

It means to add a little water at a time, gently kneading by hand until it feels like a slightly damp sponge.  It really shouldn't stick together too much either.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah