Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1791744 times)

diesel_darlin

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10380 on: January 13, 2013, 09:04:31 PM »
Maybe that's the difference - I usually make mine with skim milk.

PSA for everyone else:  If you are feeling nauseous, don't eat tomato soup.  You will not enjoy the revisit.  Trust me.   :)

This is why I have not eaten tomato soup since the 4th grade.  ;D

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #10381 on: January 13, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »
I wear glasses.  I have long eyelashes.

The two are not compatible.  Yes, the eyelashes are that long. 

Smudgy specs drive me up the wall...   :'(

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #10382 on: January 13, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »

I have the same problem.  I usually curl my eyelashes...just so they don't sweep my glasses as bad.  I still have to clean my glasses pretty frequently.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #10383 on: January 13, 2013, 10:38:25 PM »

I have the same problem.  I usually curl my eyelashes...just so they don't sweep my glasses as bad.  I still have to clean my glasses pretty frequently.   ;)

Tried that - no difference.  It seems they're long and curly. 

Maybe I should go to granny specs, those ones that perch on the end of your nose.  But a), I don't like them, and b), not sure if they'd work with the graduated lenses.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10384 on: January 13, 2013, 11:24:30 PM »

Maybe I should go to granny specs, those ones that perch on the end of your nose.  But a), I don't like them, and b), not sure if they'd work with the graduated lenses.
And that's why my own glasses sit about halfway down my nose, rather than at the bridge the way they're "supposed" to.  I miss my old optometrist.  :-\   He knew that was where I wanted them, and didn't insist on trying to make me wear them where they weren't comfortable.   
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kckgirl

« Reply #10385 on: January 14, 2013, 05:40:36 AM »
What's driving me crazy lately is people typing KWIM for "know what I mean." That abbreviation, more than any other, really annoys me.
Maryland

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #10386 on: January 14, 2013, 06:47:23 AM »

This may be a really stupid thing to say but, have you tried trimming them?

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10387 on: January 14, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »
I have a similar problem with eyeglasses; if I wear them as high as they can to increase my field of vision the oil from my eyebrows gets on the upper part of the lens.

I refuse to wear granny glasses except at the opera after the house lights are out.  I am starting to have problems reading the subtitles on the chair in front of me.  If I can't read the ones in the chair in front of that one I have to wear my glasses down in order to be able to use my opera glasses to see the faces of the performers.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #10388 on: January 14, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »

Trimmed lashes prickle! The ends of the lashes are a natural taper but if you trim, they end abruptly which is very irritating.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10389 on: January 14, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »
People who make sweeping statements regarding illness, currently it is the flu. Currently, the US is under a major flu outbreak.

I have heard highly educated laypersons say the following in the past week:

I don't need a flu shot. I never get sick.
Only kids and the elderly need a flu shot.
I already received a flu shot, so I don't have to wash my hands.

While the current strains of flu going around the US are more likely to affect people with compromised immune systems, the young and the old, that is not always the case. Good cleanliness is helpful to avoid passing illness to others.

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 was worst for healthy people, and killed up to 3% of the world population.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10390 on: January 14, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »
People who make sweeping statements regarding illness, currently it is the flu. Currently, the US is under a major flu outbreak.

I have heard highly educated laypersons say the following in the past week:

I don't need a flu shot. I never get sick.
Only kids and the elderly need a flu shot.
I already received a flu shot, so I don't have to wash my hands.

While the current strains of flu going around the US are more likely to affect people with compromised immune systems, the young and the old, that is not always the case. Good cleanliness is helpful to avoid passing illness to others.

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 was worst for healthy people, and killed up to 3% of the world population.

And in the same vein, while I get the media is trying to keep people informed, sometimes they go a bit too far in their sensationalism.  I myself am generally healthy, that is to say I very rarely, if ever get sick. My last case of flu was almost 20 years ago. I also have only gotten a flu shot maybe 3-4 times in my life.

However, while I may joke about being healthy, I am also very careful to wash my hands, etc. as I'm well aware that's one way to warn off germs. Not totally foolproof, but it certainly can't hurt.

And while I didn't get a flu shot this year, I'm rethinking it. But that doesn't mean I think I'm bulletproof either.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10391 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
^You are taking multiple factors into your choice, which is good.  :)

I had a phone conversation with my mom on Friday, she has received the shot and is astonished that some people who received the shot still get the flu. She related to me a press conference the local hospital did where quite a bit of misinformation was given.

All of my usual internet haunts were swamped by sensationalism and misinformation this weekend, and I just stopped reading after a while to preserve my sanity and good will toward mankind.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #10392 on: January 14, 2013, 12:45:13 PM »
Bill Engvall, in one of his shows, talked about riding in a military plane and knowing they'd be pulling quite a few G's and knowing he'd get nauseus, called them ahead of time to ask what he should eat the day of.

He was told "peanut butter".  Surprised, he said "peanut butter helps with air sickness?"
"Nope, but it tastes the same way coming up as it does going down."

HA!  When I was pregnant, there were a few foods I stuck to until the morning sickness passed for pretty much that reason.

Shalamar

« Reply #10393 on: January 14, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »

Gack!  The idea of having scissors that close to my eyeballs is freaking me out.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10394 on: January 14, 2013, 02:12:37 PM »
Being stuck in a cube farm and having to listen to my various CWs talk, argue, reason with, etc. their children on the phone. Day in and day out. Said children who are both freshman in college. One is spoiled and entitled, and CW is a doormat who simply will not say to her “I am working, I am busy, I cannot talk to you, discuss this, etc. now” CHild wants everything, and wants it now, and CW always gives in. I really want to ask her, who is the parent, and who is the child?

Second CW is a control freak, and feels the need to control every aspect of HER child’s life. This one is rather flaky and I sometimes wonder how she ever makes it through a day in one piece.  Unfortunately once is my boss, and the other not in my dept, so there really isn’t much I can say, as it wouldn’t be nice. But I can say that had I ever pulled what they do when MY mom was working, there would have been consequences.