Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1558251 times)

PeterM

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10395 on: January 14, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »
I already received a flu shot, so I don't have to wash my hands.

What, like, ever? That's brilliant! Do you have any idea how much time that would save, over the course of a year? Everyone else in the men's room is washing their hands at the sink, and I'll just sail on by them while shouting "I got my flu shot, suckas! PEACE!!"

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 was worst for healthy people, and killed up to 3% of the world population.

This is directly attributable, of course, to the fact that no one expected the Spanish flu pandemic.

Shalamar

« Reply #10396 on: January 14, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »
My co-worker has a mouse that doesn't work very well, and she bangs it furiously against her desk at least a couple of times a day.   I really wish she'd request a new mouse.

(I'm tempted to request one on her behalf, actually.)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10397 on: January 14, 2013, 03:03:38 PM »
My co-worker has a mouse that doesn't work very well, and she bangs it furiously against her desk at least a couple of times a day.   I really wish she'd request a new mouse.

HA - mine does that too! drives me nuts.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10398 on: January 14, 2013, 03:13:49 PM »

What, like, ever? That's brilliant! Do you have any idea how much time that would save, over the course of a year? Everyone else in the men's room is washing their hands at the sink, and I'll just sail on by them while shouting "I got my flu shot, suckas! PEACE!!"

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 was worst for healthy people, and killed up to 3% of the world population.

This is directly attributable, of course, to the fact that no one expected the Spanish flu pandemic.

I see what you did there.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10399 on: January 14, 2013, 04:32:13 PM »

*snicker*

I watched Matilda yesterday with the kids and when they captured a newt and Ms. Trunchbull drank from the water glass with the newt in it, I couldn't help myself.  "She got better!"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:42:06 PM by Piratelvr1121 »
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #10400 on: January 14, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »

:o Don't they realize that everything they touch stays on their hands and then goes into their mouths, or eyes, or into cuts, or whatever? I was once at a convention where there was a mass outbreak of Norovirus because someone neglected to wash their hands. I caught it, even though I've always been good about hand washing, probably because it's hard to prevent the spread of a disease that 6 people you're staying with have, and something like 300 people in the hotel ended up getting.

I'm against the abuse of hand sanitizer, but hand washing is a wonderful thing. I had to explain to a bunch of 7th graders I was teaching why hand washing was more important than just using sanitizer - hand washing actually removes dirt instead of just killing germs. If you don't wash your hands after using the bathroom, and then you eat, you are putting your bathroom business in your mouth. To me, it wouldn't matter if the germs were dead.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #10401 on: January 14, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »
People who make sweeping statements regarding illness, currently it is the flu. Currently, the US is under a major flu outbreak.

I have heard highly educated laypersons say the following in the past week:

I don't need a flu shot. I never get sick.
Only kids and the elderly need a flu shot.

While the current strains of flu going around the US are more likely to affect people with compromised immune systems, the young and the old, that is not always the case. Good cleanliness is helpful to avoid passing illness to others.

Even in terms of some groups of people needing flu shots more, that also applies to anyone who spends a lot of time in contact with those people, such as health care workers, teachers, and parents.

As for "I already received a flu shot, so I don't have to wash my hands," the flu is not the only disease in the world, and I don't want norovirus either. (Norovirus in particular comes to mind because it's also going around, it's nasty, and there is no vaccine.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Midge

« Reply #10402 on: January 14, 2013, 05:13:29 PM »
When I ask DH to do/get something for me and he decides to 'upgrade' it. I've been sick this week, and last night I asked him to make me a cup of noodles. I really wanted the cheap, cup 'o noodles in the foam cup, and specifically asked for a cup of noodles, not soup. Instead he warmed up some from-scratch chicken noodle soup I had in the freezer.

Of course, I ate it, and thanked him profusely, but dang it, that's NOT what I wanted.

My husband has another wife!

Whenever I'm not feeling well I, like many people, want comfort food. Straight up comfort food, not the yuppie artisanal version of whatever I'm craving. I've had several surgeries in the last year, and each time my hubby has made me what I asked for, but the "upgraded" version of it, making it just not the same.

I wanted Campbell's chicken noodle soup. He got me some fancy-bacon-fed knave chicken with, like winter vegetables, soba noodles, and brandy-veal reduction sauce (not really, but you know what I mean). Next surgery I thought "there's no way he can mess up": Kraft macaroni and cheese, canned tuna, and peas. Yep, fresh not canned peas.

Don't even get me started on when I want ramen noodles ...

magicdomino

« Reply #10403 on: January 14, 2013, 05:36:43 PM »

As for "I already received a flu shot, so I don't have to wash my hands," the flu is not the only disease in the world, and I don't want norovirus either. (Norovirus in particular comes to mind because it's also going around, it's nasty, and there is no vaccine.)

Salmenilla (sp?), E. coli, strep throat, common cold.  There's lots of reasons to wash your hands regularly.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10404 on: January 14, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »
At least once a week, I see someone walk straight from a stall to the door, without washing their hands. I shudder each and every time.

mmswm

« Reply #10405 on: January 14, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
When I ask DH to do/get something for me and he decides to 'upgrade' it. I've been sick this week, and last night I asked him to make me a cup of noodles. I really wanted the cheap, cup 'o noodles in the foam cup, and specifically asked for a cup of noodles, not soup. Instead he warmed up some from-scratch chicken noodle soup I had in the freezer.

Of course, I ate it, and thanked him profusely, but dang it, that's NOT what I wanted.

My husband has another wife!

Whenever I'm not feeling well I, like many people, want comfort food. Straight up comfort food, not the yuppie artisanal version of whatever I'm craving. I've had several surgeries in the last year, and each time my hubby has made me what I asked for, but the "upgraded" version of it, making it just not the same.

I wanted Campbell's chicken noodle soup. He got me some fancy-bacon-fed knave chicken with, like winter vegetables, soba noodles, and brandy-veal reduction sauce (not really, but you know what I mean). Next surgery I thought "there's no way he can mess up": Kraft macaroni and cheese, canned tuna, and peas. Yep, fresh not canned peas.

Don't even get me started on when I want ramen noodles ...

I'm not sure how we managed this, but apparently the guy at the Ronald McDonald house is both of your husbands, and somehow my youngest child belongs to both of you.  All DS wants after surgery is Kraft Mac and Cheese and canned chicken noodle soup.  I'm more than happy to oblige his whims in the days after surgery.  After his hip surgery, the guy at RMH offered to make his lunch, and as exhausted as I was, I happily accepted.  DS was NOT happy to find fancy versions of his favorites on his lunch plate (he'd bypassed the hospital food, and I can't say I blame him for that).  I know the guy was just trying to be helpful, but a ten year old who's just had his hip and pelvic bone rebuilt deserves a little bit of pickyness, if you ask me.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #10406 on: January 14, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »
At least once a week, I see someone walk straight from a stall to the door, without washing their hands. I shudder each and every time.

I used to work with a girl that did this. She apparently did not care that several of us saw her on a daily basis walk out of a stall and right out the door, having never stopped at the sink to wash her hands.  >:(

snowflake

« Reply #10407 on: January 14, 2013, 06:59:14 PM »

HA - mine does that too! drives me nuts.

Do I work with you two?  I have been thinking, "Who does this!" multiple times in the past couple of months.  Apparently it's quite common and I have been blessed until now.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10408 on: January 14, 2013, 08:45:11 PM »
People who make sweeping statements regarding illness, currently it is the flu. Currently, the US is under a major flu outbreak.

I have heard highly educated laypersons say the following in the past week:

I don't need a flu shot. I never get sick.
Only kids and the elderly need a flu shot.

While the current strains of flu going around the US are more likely to affect people with compromised immune systems, the young and the old, that is not always the case. Good cleanliness is helpful to avoid passing illness to others.

About the only kids and elderly need the flu shot. They might be quoting doctors from a couple years ago. There was a shortage of the vaccine and they were limiting vaccinations to those at most risk for a while. I remember because they weren't going to let me get the flu shot at a clinic I went to until I explained I was an asthmatic and the flu on thing that knocks me out for weeks if i get it.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #10409 on: January 15, 2013, 12:15:08 AM »
This may be a really stupid thing to say but, have you tried trimming them?

Trimmed lashes prickle! The ends of the lashes are a natural taper but if you trim, they end abruptly which is very irritating.

Yup!

Also I've got really poor depth of vision so I'd probably end up cutting them way too short...