Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1648298 times)

MissRose

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10425 on: January 16, 2013, 11:22:25 AM »
Customers who think their email will work when they have no access to the internet.  I thought that was common sense to make sure of that first before calling in to say so when that most basic need has NOT been checked on first.

KimberlyM

« Reply #10426 on: January 16, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »
At least once a week, I see someone walk straight from a stall to the door, without washing their hands. I shudder each and every time.

I used to work with a girl that did this. She apparently did not care that several of us saw her on a daily basis walk out of a stall and right out the door, having never stopped at the sink to wash her hands.  >:(

The woman I share an office with does that, she claims because the water makes her eczema worse, but we touch all the same stuff...I'd rather her hands be chapped than I come in contact with her bathroom contents!

My current complaint though is I'm catching a cold...really slowly...it's making me nuts, I'd rather just have it hit and get it over with, but instead I've had a couple days of a mildly sore throat, some random sneeze attacks and about 2-3 hours of nose blowing a day...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10427 on: January 16, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »
I have a mobility disability and drive close to our campus buildings to park in the disabled permit lots when I go to class every day. Driving through campus is very difficult due to the great amount of students on foot. I will wait for them to cross in the cross walks before continuing.

What is driving me up the wall are the students that will stop after they are already halfway through the crosswalk to look at the drivers, pause, then continue walking. If I was going to hit you, I already would have! Also, the number of students we have that jay walk with their headphones on, and do not look before walking out into the roads. We have at least one student who is killed a year because they walk directly in front of a car.

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #10428 on: January 16, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
Crying in public.   :-[  I know it's normal and human.  I know it can lead to a state of catharsis, but there is something about the sound of a person crying that just sets my teeth on edge.  Of course I cry but I prefer to do so in absolute privacy, I do not want anyone to witness me crying in public.  Especially difficult is when there doesn't seem to be any way to help the crying person.  When there doesn't appear to be any cause and no matter what remedies are offered the person keeps crying.  I fight the urge to flee as long as I can but then someone has to leave the room.  I feel terrible even admitting I feel that way but, oh boy, I do.

Also, not closing the bathroom door when using the facilities.  Please, close the door.  No one wants to witness anything you're about to do.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Shalamar

« Reply #10429 on: January 16, 2013, 12:45:55 PM »
Wow - people cry in public and do their bathroom stuff in public around you?  That blows my mind.  I'd never dream of doing the former, much less the latter!

When I had just started a new job back in 1989, my husband of four months suddenly announced that marrying me had been a huge mistake, and he wanted out.  Because I was so new at my job, I didn't think that I could take any time off to handle what was obviously a terrible shock, so I kept going to work.  Bathroom Stall #3 became a familiar friend for the next few weeks - that's where I did all my crying when I couldn't take it anymore.   :'(

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #10430 on: January 16, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »
I work with a lot of children on a daily basis.
I spend a lot of time saying, "please close the door, thank you!"

I would never tell someone that I feel this way, in real life.
I feel terrible admitting it here.
I absolutely know there's nothing wrong with crying but...it's a struggle for me.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Cami

« Reply #10431 on: January 16, 2013, 03:28:39 PM »
People who volunteer to chair an important committee and refuse to use email or any other form of electronic communication. Just... don't.  Either get with the modern program or decline the opportunity.

Snooks

« Reply #10432 on: January 16, 2013, 04:28:48 PM »
I have a mobility disability and drive close to our campus buildings to park in the disabled permit lots when I go to class every day. Driving through campus is very difficult due to the great amount of students on foot. I will wait for them to cross in the cross walks before continuing.

What is driving me up the wall are the students that will stop after they are already halfway through the crosswalk to look at the drivers, pause, then continue walking. If I was going to hit you, I already would have! Also, the number of students we have that jay walk with their headphones on, and do not look before walking out into the roads. We have at least one student who is killed a year because they walk directly in front of a car.

I encounter their two wheeled friends on a regular basis.  I was driving up a residential street tonight and coming straight towards me was a guy on a folding bike with a very ineffective light chatting away on his cell phone.  Thankfully I was going slowly and spotted him but it drives me crazy that the police don't regularly police illegal behaviour from cyclists.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #10433 on: January 16, 2013, 04:38:44 PM »
Crying in public.   :-[  I know it's normal and human.  I know it can lead to a state of catharsis, but there is something about the sound of a person crying that just sets my teeth on edge.  Of course I cry but I prefer to do so in absolute privacy, I do not want anyone to witness me crying in public.  Especially difficult is when there doesn't seem to be any way to help the crying person.  When there doesn't appear to be any cause and no matter what remedies are offered the person keeps crying.  I fight the urge to flee as long as I can but then someone has to leave the room.  I feel terrible even admitting I feel that way but, oh boy, I do.

I'm a person who has a very hard time controlling my crying, plus I cry at anything remotely bittersweet, like Hallmark commercials. However, I do try to keep my crying as silent as possible, because I know that it bothers people for one reason or another, especially because I tend to do what's called "ugly crying" when something sad happens.

There's nothing wrong with being uncomfortable with stuff like that, I promise. I know that it's both annoying and painful to experience.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Emmy

« Reply #10434 on: January 16, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »

Also, not closing the bathroom door when using the facilities.  Please, close the door.  No one wants to witness anything you're about to do.

I do agree it is uncomfortable.  If it is a stranger, I never know if and what I should say to the person, but feel cold and callous for leaving them alone (which is what I do).

I had a roommate in college who would cry at the drop of a hat.  The first time she cried was when the restaurant she choose to go to was closed.  We were with her and thought she felt bad she brought us out to a closed restaurant, but she kept crying and refused to be comforted.  After a while I went into my room and closed the door.  She also cried when she couldn't find an outfit that looked good with the shoes she wanted to wear, she cried in the middle of the campus when she didn't understand what was being taught in one of her classes, and the worst was when her boyfriend couldn't make it down to see her because his car broke down.  Oh, she was a leader for an organization we were in and they were having an awards banquet.  She organized a service project and was listening to the awards and crying even before they were finished because she thought she didn't get one.  When they announced her name, she stopped crying and immediately started smiling and laughing.  I wish I was making this stuff up.

There were 4 of us in the apartment and she liked 1 of the roommates, but me and the other roommates she treated like we were beneath her.  She was cliquey and rude.  Guess that is what we get for rooming with somebody who seems nice and is desperate for a new roommate because she claimed her other roommates were mean and excluded her.  I wonder why  ::).

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10435 on: January 16, 2013, 11:36:22 PM »
At least once a week, I see someone walk straight from a stall to the door, without washing their hands. I shudder each and every time.

I used to work with a girl that did this. She apparently did not care that several of us saw her on a daily basis walk out of a stall and right out the door, having never stopped at the sink to wash her hands.  >:(

The woman I share an office with does that, she claims because the water makes her eczema worse, but we touch all the same stuff...I'd rather her hands be chapped than I come in contact with her bathroom contents!

My current complaint though is I'm catching a cold...really slowly...it's making me nuts, I'd rather just have it hit and get it over with, but instead I've had a couple days of a mildly sore throat, some random sneeze attacks and about 2-3 hours of nose blowing a day...
Could she be using sanitizer? I cannot use the soap in public bathrooms it will strip the top layer of skin off and I walk around with bloody hands. I use sanitizer. I do "wash" my hands with plain water after applying the sanitizer. I've had people get upset with me. In 5th grade I had a chaperon try to force me use that powered pink stuff  they used to have. I was literally fighting her off, when my Mom heard me yelling and came into the bathroom. (pre santizer but mom had some wipes that Pearl (the beer) used to put in their picnic kits. We had a ton and a half because Dad had worked for them at one point. Mom had them in her purse, so I wouldn't get in trouble for having something with a beer logo on it.) 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #10436 on: January 17, 2013, 12:23:01 AM »
A pretty good friend is getting married this summer. She's been rather smug about the fact that she's not going to have a bridal shower because in her mind it's greedy to invite people to a party just to spend money on you.

Today I got an invitation, written by her, to her weekend long bachelorette party that will be 400 miles away and involve a $50 beer & food fest, not to mention hotels and other meals out.

Yeah, I'd rather spend $20 on a measuring cup than $500 on a bachelorette.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10437 on: January 17, 2013, 03:05:47 AM »
THE ITCHING

One week ago today (well, yesterday as of three measly hours ago) I had this cast put on for my broken pinky/pins in my hand.  And tonight it started itching.  And itching. And itching!  It won't stop it won't stop it won't stop it will... not... stop!

Snooks

« Reply #10438 on: January 17, 2013, 06:50:30 AM »
The beggars/moochers/scammers thread reminded me of this - businesses who don't have an "secure" official email account.  This might come across as a bit vague but I'll try to give an example. 

In my job we hold widgets on behalf of a client.  If a customer wants to get a widget they need to come through us.  The widgets for our client are highly sought after as they show the customer is of a certain standard.  We have to ensure the customer is who they say they are before giving them access (via an email address) to our ordering portal, however our only contact with the customers is through email and phone, we can't send a representative out to visit every potential customer.  When a customer claims they're from ACME Inc but their email address is AcmeIncOffice@freewebmailaddress.com you really have no guarantee, or even worse jimsmithacme@freewebmailaddress.com . 

The companies also seem to fail to realise that this makes their email totally insecure unless they change the password every time a staff member leaves.  I've got a horrible fear of a disgrunted staff member logging on, ordering a huge number of widgets which we then make and dispatch and invoice for only to find the customer refusing to pay and us out of pocket and a widget security breech to boot.

So to paraphrase Arrested Development "That's why you always need a secure business email address".

sidi-ji

« Reply #10439 on: January 17, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »
Not  to disrail, but Traska can you apply cold pads, then hot ones to "fool"  your nerve endings?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:49:25 AM by sidi-ji »