Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1783083 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10440 on: January 17, 2013, 08:44:12 AM »
Eyeglass repair kits.  You get one when you need it, it has one or two screws you can use for your problem, and you're stuck with the rest of them, which are wasted. It would almost be better to go to a shop and have them do it.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #10441 on: January 17, 2013, 09:02:21 AM »
I've usually taken my glasses to a shop for that, not just because of the screw factor but also because if I don't have my glasses on, I can't see anything so I can't do it myself.  I've offered to pay but they usually kindly do it for free.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10442 on: January 17, 2013, 09:24:09 AM »
I may do that later, but since I only use off-the-rack reading glasses, I have spares.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10443 on: January 17, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
Not  to disrail, but Traska can you apply cold pads, then hot ones to "fool"  your nerve endings?

Oddly enough, an OTC painkiller solved it, even though there was no pain.  :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10444 on: January 17, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »
I love DH and my MIL but they are both such worry warts when it comes to health issues.  For example, dh called last night on his way home and said his mom told him he should really get the flu shot now, as we all should because it's so terrible this year, kids have died!!!! 

Now I don't doubt some kids have died, but knowing the news it could have been two or three kids that were already immunocompromised and the news would make it sound like half the country's children have been wiped out.   And every single year during cold and flu season the news declares it to be the "WORST FLU SEASON EVER!!!" Not to mention the flu comes around every year, it's not a surprise, why not get the shot right when the flu season starts rather than after you've already been exposed?

Not to mention it's been flu season for a while. My husband works in a job where he goes in and out of homes to repair people's appliances, while my older two attend public school and the 4 of us (not DH though) attend church weekly and none of us have gotten sick.  The baby got a flu shot about 2 months ago at his 12 month checkup.   Chances are good we've all been exposed and we've all got strong immune systems, except for the baby who, as I said, already got his shot.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Adelaide

« Reply #10445 on: January 17, 2013, 11:38:02 PM »
I hate when people invite themselves to things on Facebook. My friend just posted something about shopping for wedding dresses and another girl said "Oh, when is it? Where is it? I want to come to your wedding if that's okay with you!" I get that you might not want to broadcast it if you're not inviting everyone on your Facebook friends list, but that doesn't mean that it's okay to publicly invite yourself on their wall.

I posted something about returning home and making a trip to see another group of friends, who live about an hour away in my college town. A friend who lives in my hometown (and therefore is ALWAYS only an hour away from my college town) posted in my status asking if she could go with me. I'd feel odd saying "Sorry, no" in a status update, but at the same time I thought she would realize that I would be spending time with my friends (or rather, the man I'm still interested in) rather than hers. I also find it odd that she didn't say WE should hang out, but that she wants me to take her down there, like I'm a chauffeur.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10446 on: January 17, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »
DH has a friend from high school that's a pretty cool guy but since he's in the CG, we don't see him much which is too bad.  Yet on the upside it also means we don't see his wife much.  She's not nasty or mean, she's just very self absorbed and she is always wanting to one-up people.

I shared a picture of Johnny Depp dressed as Capt. Jack once, from a publicity shot for the movies, I think it was? I dunno, I share a lot of them, big surprise, right? ;)   Well this woman comments on it "Oh I bet you'd be jealous! We got to meet a Jack Sparrow lookalike at Disney World!" (they go at least once a year).  Now I've been to Disneyland since the movies came out and had my own chance to meet a Jack Sparrow impersonator before the park did away with them.

So I did say "Actually not really jealous, I met one myself about 4 years ago!" My bff told me she really wanted to say "So? I got to meet Johnny Depp 4 years ago and got to see him do Captain Jack in person!" but she didn't.  That I am envious of, though! An impersonator's cool, sure, but getting to meet Johnny in person? Sorry that trumps any impersonator!

Another thing. When people try to talk you into something and don't take "we can't afford it" for an answer. It's like to them "can't afford it" means "I'm too cheap to splurge".  The same couple, the CG buddy and his wife, go to Disney World so often that they purchased some sort of membership or something which means they get great deals and apparently even own a square foot of the whole park or something, I don't remember.  She said "Oh you and your DH should get it!"

I told her "Well it sounds nice but we can't afford it."  "But it's a great deal! You get this and this and this!" I gently said "Hon, do you remember my husband lost his job earlier this year and just started a new one? Now is not the time for us to be buying theme park memberships when it's going to be a challenge to afford Christmas presents." She dropped it. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hillia

« Reply #10447 on: January 18, 2013, 12:17:51 AM »
I volunteer with a dog rescue group.  One of the volunteers is a very hardworking, goodhearted woman who has done a tremendous amount for the group and the dogs and families that we work with.

She cannot write a grammatical, correctly spelled sentence to save her life.  Emails to prospective adopters and foster homes go out with such gems as 'puppys', 'curtsey listing' (courtesy listing, where we list a dog on our website who is not one of our rescues; we're giving the owner space as a courtesy)...these jumped out at me today along with the run on sentences, random capitalization, custom punctuation - gah!

I feel very petty for getting irritated about her grammar/spelling/punctuation, because as I said she does an incredible amount of work for the group and really puts her heart and soul into it.  But it makes my eyes bleed to read her emails.

ETA: Oh, and she plays every Facebook game/quiz/whatever, and doesn't turn off the notifications, so I'm bombarded by notices that 'Susie has earned a golden fizbot in Today'sStupidGame!'.  I turn them off as I see them, but she picks up a new game every few days so there's a new set of notifications to block.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:20:06 AM by Hillia »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10448 on: January 18, 2013, 01:10:27 AM »
She cannot write a grammatical, correctly spelled sentence to save her life.  Emails to prospective adopters and foster homes go out with such gems as 'puppys', 'curtsey listing' (courtesy listing, where we list a dog on our website who is not one of our rescues; we're giving the owner space as a courtesy)...these jumped out at me today along with the run on sentences, random capitalization, custom punctuation - gah!
Perhaps you could offer to proofread them for her?  Or even type them up for her, since you know that she's so incredibly busy.  Pitch it as "taking one of the burdens off of her back."  Otherwise, you'll have to grin and bear it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Emmy

« Reply #10449 on: January 18, 2013, 07:11:59 AM »
Another thing. When people try to talk you into something and don't take "we can't afford it" for an answer. It's like to them "can't afford it" means "I'm too cheap to splurge".  The same couple, the CG buddy and his wife, go to Disney World so often that they purchased some sort of membership or something which means they get great deals and apparently even own a square foot of the whole park or something, I don't remember.  She said "Oh you and your DH should get it!"

I told her "Well it sounds nice but we can't afford it."  "But it's a great deal! You get this and this and this!" I gently said "Hon, do you remember my husband lost his job earlier this year and just started a new one? Now is not the time for us to be buying theme park memberships when it's going to be a challenge to afford Christmas presents." She dropped it.

I think trying to talk anybody into buying anything after they say 'no' would drive me crazy.  I don't feel I should have to explain why I choose not to buy something.  Even if I can technically afford something, it doesn't mean I am 'cheap' if I choose not to spend money on an item I don't particularly wish to purchase.

Carotte

« Reply #10450 on: January 18, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »
Perhaps you could offer to proofread them for her?  Or even type them up for her, since you know that she's so incredibly busy.  Pitch it as "taking one of the burdens off of her back."  Otherwise, you'll have to grin and bear it.

Wouldn't most of the emails be the same 'template'? maybe you could have someone write a bunch of pre-set emails, the kind you know are likely to be sent more than once, and have her only 'fill in the blanks'.
But well, if she's not computer savvy enough to use spell check that might not work for her..

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10451 on: January 18, 2013, 08:22:46 AM »

I think trying to talk anybody into buying anything after they say 'no' would drive me crazy.  I don't feel I should have to explain why I choose not to buy something.  Even if I can technically afford something, it doesn't mean I am 'cheap' if I choose not to spend money on an item I don't particularly wish to purchase.

Agreed. While I would like to take the kids to Disneyworld, it's a good deal more expensive for us to go than this couple since they don't have kids compared to our 3.  And honestly the big trip I'd rather save for is to take the family to Ireland.

caz

« Reply #10452 on: January 18, 2013, 09:58:30 AM »
THE ITCHING

One week ago today (well, yesterday as of three measly hours ago) I had this cast put on for my broken pinky/pins in my hand.  And tonight it started itching.  And itching. And itching!  It won't stop it won't stop it won't stop it will... not... stop!

I think I read this on another thread....  sometimes, itching another part of your body will fool your brain.  I've tried a couple of times, and it seems to work!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10453 on: January 18, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »
Eyeglass repair kits.  You get one when you need it, it has one or two screws you can use for your problem, and you're stuck with the rest of them, which are wasted. It would almost be better to go to a shop and have them do it.

I always carry a few twist ties in my wallet.  If you strip off the paper cover, the wire inside is just the right size to fit the screw-holes in the earpieces of eyeglasses.  They're also a lot easier to use than those ding-dangety little screws. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10454 on: January 18, 2013, 11:19:32 AM »
When my boss plays “Captain Obvious” Yes, I know you want me to only do something simple, however, it may involve a lot more work to GET to that something! I’m currently creating webpages on different issue, from scratch. Which, even though we have software to do this, takes time. and one aspect of it is to include filings on the subject, of which there are hundreds. I don’t need to include them all, just the important ones, or ones filed by groups similar to ours. However, Captain Obvious apparently doesn’t get that while I understand what he wants, I still need to actually look and review all the filings, even if I’m only including a select few.  And bonus points to him when he keeps repeating himself as to what I should do, like a broken record. He’s a big butthead sometimes.