Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1791381 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10470 on: January 18, 2013, 08:49:40 PM »
People on youtube that I see "liking" a page and then getting their knickers in a knot over every single post the page puts up.  I'm thinking mainly of George Takei.   I have just made it a point to not read the comments anymore because my eyes start to hurt from rolling them so hard.

I guess I don't get it because if I don't care for a page, I just don't "like" it so I won't have to see the things they post that I might not agree with.  I don't see the point of working oneself into a lather and bringing unneeded drama into one's life.

I mean if one is completely offended by homosexuality, why would they "like" the page of a celebrity who is very openly gay? Yeah, yeah, I know, to troll.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Adelaide

« Reply #10471 on: January 18, 2013, 11:55:39 PM »
People who complain about the direction a thread is taking because other people are posting things they're not interested in reading, but without contributing anything of value themselves. Like "Please can we get back to talking about purple people eaters?" Surely the most polite and efficient way to get a thread back on track is contribute a post about purple people eaters yourself? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, is how I view this.  I used to mod a large forum and this used to drive me insane.

I hate to admit it, but "this".  Threadjacks are a normal part of a conversation, a parenthetical aside if you will.  Seeing someone request that the threadjack material (especially if it's relevant to the thread) be taken to its own thread doesn't give me more material to post about in *that* thread.  And most of these topics aren't interesting enough for their own thread, anyway.  It's more of a "oh cool, I have an interest in this thing that the conversation drifted toward too!"

It depends.  I don't mind it if say the special snowflake thread has turned into a discussion of how awesome an old TV show was.  But sometimes it is a discussion about how the old TV show was full of special snowflakes.  I'm never sure why people object to that.

I'll admit that I'm on the other side of the fence with this one, but only for certain things. Usually when I'm posting just to post/tell people about something then I don't mind if the thread gets derailed. But when I'm asking for advice it's a whole other story. For example, I post in a forum requesting dating advice/input about what my BF said, because he and I had a big argument in the kitchen about the blender. If I log on to see thirty replies on what type of blender to use, which one's better, which one holds more, etc., then I'm NOT happy. And in that case I really feel like I have no choice but to request that the thread get back on topic. I don't have anything to add because I started it and nothing's changed since.

perpetua

« Reply #10472 on: January 19, 2013, 03:03:10 AM »
I agree with you Adelaide, that *is* annoying, and rude to the OP of a thread, That was't quite what I was getting at though.

What I was getting at was threads like, say, 'The Snow On Roofs Thread' (completely made up, obviously, because I struggled for something to put here and looked out my window and saw snow on the roof). People post 'There is snow on my neighbours roof today'. 'There is snow on the roof across the street today', etc etc, until there is twenty pages talking about whose roof has snow on it. Discussion then moves to how to effectively remove snow from roofs for a few posts, until someone dives in and says 'Can we please get back to posting about snow on people's roofs?' - but without posting anything about snow on roofs themselves.

It's like they're saying 'I want to read about roofs that have snow on them. These people aren't providing that for me, so I'll chastise them instead of getting the thread back on track myself'. It's also akin to saying 'Entertain me - talk about what *I* want to hear!!!', which I find rude.

Like I say, I find it like walking up to a discussion at a party which you were not involved in and asking them to change the subject to something else, just to please you.

Emmy

« Reply #10473 on: January 19, 2013, 07:31:46 AM »
I remember a thread here many years ago where the OP posted a question, I can't remember what it was.  Like most threads that have several replies, several replies got off track of the original question but stuck to related topic.  The OP comes back on and says something along the lines of "Thanks to the few of you who answered my question.  The rest of you, thanks for nothing" and then continued about how rude most of the posters were not to give her a direct answer and to go off topic.  The tone made the OP sound nasty and entitled and it came across as if she owned the thread and people owed her advice.  I don't imagine too many people would feel inclined to give her helpful advice after her online tantrum.  I do feel it is rude to purposely derail a thread and it can be annoying when threads get off topic, but they are like conversations which often change topics over time.  Coming back to a thread and restating the original question is OK, telling people off because you didn't get a satisfactory answer is not OK. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10474 on: January 19, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »
Not  to disrail, but Traska can you apply cold pads, then hot ones to "fool"  your nerve endings?

Oddly enough, an OTC painkiller solved it, even though there was no pain.  :)
I beg to differ itching is painful*. It is why I woke up crying at midnight last night and stayed awake till 3 am. Maybe I should add OTC painkillers to the allergy meds next time. At least this time my legs don't look like I've been attacked by a werewolf.

*The most accurate description I have heard of itching with atopic is fire ants crawling under your skin and biting.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10475 on: January 19, 2013, 09:43:52 AM »
I just signed into YouTube this morning to see if "Mr. I'm Right" gave me a parting shot, and sure enough, here is the gist of what he said.  "What I have said to you is fact, so there was no debate!  You're wrong.  Live with it!"

Whatever you say, sunshine.  ::)  The "debate" was about whether A was better than B, and when I said it was a matter of opinion, he said, "There is opinion involved, because B is so much better, and you don't know what you're talking about!  You need to learn the truth!"

Nope.  Done dealing with your patootie.  Off to do something constructive. *gets a crochet hook and an unfinished project*

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10476 on: January 19, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
Not  to disrail, but Traska can you apply cold pads, then hot ones to "fool"  your nerve endings?

Oddly enough, an OTC painkiller solved it, even though there was no pain.  :)
I beg to differ itching is painful*. It is why I woke up crying at midnight last night and stayed awake till 3 am. Maybe I should add OTC painkillers to the allergy meds next time. At least this time my legs don't look like I've been attacked by a werewolf.

*The most accurate description I have heard of itching with atopic is fire ants crawling under your skin and biting.

Well, it wasn't painful to me I should have said, just highly aggravating.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10477 on: January 19, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
Eyeglass repair kits.  You get one when you need it, it has one or two screws you can use for your problem, and you're stuck with the rest of them, which are wasted. It would almost be better to go to a shop and have them do it.

I always carry a few twist ties in my wallet.  If you strip off the paper cover, the wire inside is just the right size to fit the screw-holes in the earpieces of eyeglasses.  They're also a lot easier to use than those ding-dangety little screws.

My glasses are currently repaired with two of the little pieces of wire that Michaels uses to attach necklace pendants to the card.

Adelaide

« Reply #10478 on: January 19, 2013, 10:51:47 AM »
Like I say, I find it like walking up to a discussion at a party which you were not involved in and asking them to change the subject to something else, just to please you.

That's a good comparison! And I agree with you in those situations.

<snip>
Coming back to a thread and restating the original question is OK, telling people off because you didn't get a satisfactory answer is not OK. 

That's definitely true. And I think a big problem with the internet is that even the smallest request can come across as a frigid order because we don't have facial/tone cues to go along with it. (Of course "thanks for nothing" is pretty squarely rude.) I think a lot of times even the OP requesting the thread get back on track can seem like the OP is griping pretty heavily.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #10479 on: January 19, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »
I just signed into YouTube this morning to see if "Mr. I'm Right" gave me a parting shot, and sure enough, here is the gist of what he said.  "What I have said to you is fact, so there was no debate!  You're wrong.  Live with it!"

Whatever you say, sunshine.  ::)  The "debate" was about whether A was better than B, and when I said it was a matter of opinion, he said, "There is opinion involved, because B is so much better, and you don't know what you're talking about!  You need to learn the truth!"

Nope.  Done dealing with your patootie.  Off to do something constructive. *gets a crochet hook and an unfinished project*

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've witnessed this exchange, on a fan forum for a musical artist:

"Jim": Single A and album X were her biggest successes.

Other posters: No, she had a #1 hit with single B and album Y was a big success. A and X, while lovely, were more confidential.

Jim: No, A and X were the most successful.

Chart nerd: *comes up with sales figures proving Jim is wrong*

Jim: Well, you're entitled to your opinion.

::)

(I like Jim, but debating with him is an exercise in frustration.)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10480 on: January 19, 2013, 01:09:37 PM »
Yeah.  I don't so much mind being disagreed with, but some people are very disrespectful about it.  If I have to, I give a sheepish "Yeah, you're right.  My mistake."  This guy just got under my skin for some reason.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #10481 on: January 20, 2013, 01:30:41 AM »
Thought of one - I have a very nice complexion. I get complimented on it frequently, by friends, family, people who work in skin care, and strangers.

However, very few people seem willing to listen to me when I tell them what I learned about skin care to have this nice complexion. I used to have an absolutely horrible one, and people never seem to believe me on that count (except people who knew me then or people who work in skin care). When I had bad skin, I studied everything I could on the subject and learned all about treating dry, semi-sensitive skin with an oily nose. I learned about treating a lot of other skin types, but when people say "I wish I had nice skin like that", 7 times out of 10, they do not want advice. They do not want to know my skin care regimen (which is pretty low stress), nor do they want to know the products I use. They are sure I was born with good skin, and nothing will convince them otherwise.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10482 on: January 20, 2013, 08:53:31 PM »
People with extreme views on cold weather.

I live in a Midwest state, and currently it's very cold (the predicted temp for 7 am tomorrow is -7 F).  I've lived in this state for 11 years, and I knew what the weather was like when I moved here.  The number of people I've met and talked to over the phone who think that this type of weather is some kind of personal offense is amazing.  I've heard everything from the mild "Wow, it sure gets cold up there.  I could never do that" to the extreme, "I would kill myself if I had to live there!  I can't believe anyone does!  You must be insane!", and lots in between.  I have yet to figure out how my living in this state impacts them.  ::) 

mmswm

« Reply #10483 on: January 20, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »
Ugh, Lady Snowdragon!  I hate that.  I lived in North Dakota for 4 years after having been born in Miami and living there most of my life.  I have several friends who can't seem to get over the fact that it is possible to live in such extreme cold weather.  Granted, there's some adjusting to do, but I don't find the extreme cold any harder to deal with than the extreme heat of the southeast.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10484 on: January 20, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
My best friend is in a Midwestern state and often we joke about how we seem to get weather after it hits her first but since she's a bit further north than we are (I'm in Maryland, she's in Iowa) we don't get nearly as cold.   In fact we're going to have rather low temps for us as it's not even going to hit 20 on Tuesday which is awfully cold for us, though in Iowa it's gone to 0, even below when you factor in wind chill. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata