Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1618668 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10485 on: January 21, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »
I'm sure it drives some people nuts when I talk about how variable the weather is in NYC... and how unpredictable it can be.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #10486 on: January 21, 2013, 07:40:26 AM »
I just signed into YouTube this morning to see if "Mr. I'm Right" gave me a parting shot, and sure enough, here is the gist of what he said.  "What I have said to you is fact, so there was no debate!  You're wrong.  Live with it!"

Whatever you say, sunshine.  ::)  The "debate" was about whether A was better than B, and when I said it was a matter of opinion, he said, "There is opinion involved, because B is so much better, and you don't know what you're talking about!  You need to learn the truth!"

Nope.  Done dealing with your patootie.  Off to do something constructive. *gets a crochet hook and an unfinished project*

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've witnessed this exchange, on a fan forum for a musical artist:

"Jim": Single A and album X were her biggest successes.

Other posters: No, she had a #1 hit with single B and album Y was a big success. A and X, while lovely, were more confidential.

Jim: No, A and X were the most successful.

Chart nerd: *comes up with sales figures proving Jim is wrong*

Jim: Well, you're entitled to your opinion.

::)

(I like Jim, but debating with him is an exercise in frustration.)

I wonder if Jim wasn't measuring success by parameters other than sales (artistic, word of mouth, whatever). But, if that was the case, he should have told people so when it was clear everyone else was thinking of sales.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10487 on: January 21, 2013, 09:21:40 AM »
Thought of one - I have a very nice complexion. I get complimented on it frequently, by friends, family, people who work in skin care, and strangers.

However, very few people seem willing to listen to me when I tell them what I learned about skin care to have this nice complexion. I used to have an absolutely horrible one, and people never seem to believe me on that count (except people who knew me then or people who work in skin care). When I had bad skin, I studied everything I could on the subject and learned all about treating dry, semi-sensitive skin with an oily nose. I learned about treating a lot of other skin types, but when people say "I wish I had nice skin like that", 7 times out of 10, they do not want advice. They do not want to know my skin care regimen (which is pretty low stress), nor do they want to know the products I use. They are sure I was born with good skin, and nothing will convince them otherwise.

Is the advice unsolicited? I mean, if I told my friend "You have such great skin!" and she immediately started telling me every step of her regimen, and especially if she pointed out flaws in my skin and telling me how to fix them, I'd be taken a little aback. Even if I thought it was good advice, I'd be taken aback. I just meant to admire something beautiful and to pay her a compliment, not to receive a lesson. They may be trying to bean dip you. On the other hand, if they actually ask you how you do it and you tell them, then it's annoying if they don't want to hear it. So I guess it depends on whether they're actually asking you a question or whether they just told you your skin is nice.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10488 on: January 21, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »
Last minute schedule changes at work. Two weeks ago I was told "you'll definitely be off on the 21st"...all last week the schedule had me off on the 21st. Yesterday I went to check next week's schedule, and suddenly I have an 8 hour shift the 21st.

At least the appointment that had me asking is not during that 8 hour block, but immediately preceding it.  ::) ::) ::)
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #10489 on: January 21, 2013, 09:49:46 AM »
I just signed into YouTube this morning to see if "Mr. I'm Right" gave me a parting shot, and sure enough, here is the gist of what he said.  "What I have said to you is fact, so there was no debate!  You're wrong.  Live with it!"

Whatever you say, sunshine.  ::)  The "debate" was about whether A was better than B, and when I said it was a matter of opinion, he said, "There is opinion involved, because B is so much better, and you don't know what you're talking about!  You need to learn the truth!"

Nope.  Done dealing with your patootie.  Off to do something constructive. *gets a crochet hook and an unfinished project*

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've witnessed this exchange, on a fan forum for a musical artist:

"Jim": Single A and album X were her biggest successes.

Other posters: No, she had a #1 hit with single B and album Y was a big success. A and X, while lovely, were more confidential.

Jim: No, A and X were the most successful.

Chart nerd: *comes up with sales figures proving Jim is wrong*

Jim: Well, you're entitled to your opinion.

::)

(I like Jim, but debating with him is an exercise in frustration.)

I wonder if Jim wasn't measuring success by parameters other than sales (artistic, word of mouth, whatever). But, if that was the case, he should have told people so when it was clear everyone else was thinking of sales.

Yes, I considered that.  Clarity is not his strong point.

I've also seen people use the "Well, that's your opinion" line on an internet forum when debating the use of car seats in a plane and being presented with FAA regulations.  I think some folks just don't understand the difference between facts and opinions.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #10490 on: January 21, 2013, 10:34:56 AM »
To them, the difference is ery clear: my opinion = facts, everyone else's =/= fact. :D

Snooks

« Reply #10491 on: January 21, 2013, 10:36:58 AM »
Thought of one - I have a very nice complexion. I get complimented on it frequently, by friends, family, people who work in skin care, and strangers.

However, very few people seem willing to listen to me when I tell them what I learned about skin care to have this nice complexion. I used to have an absolutely horrible one, and people never seem to believe me on that count (except people who knew me then or people who work in skin care). When I had bad skin, I studied everything I could on the subject and learned all about treating dry, semi-sensitive skin with an oily nose. I learned about treating a lot of other skin types, but when people say "I wish I had nice skin like that", 7 times out of 10, they do not want advice. They do not want to know my skin care regimen (which is pretty low stress), nor do they want to know the products I use. They are sure I was born with good skin, and nothing will convince them otherwise.

Is the advice unsolicited? I mean, if I told my friend "You have such great skin!" and she immediately started telling me every step of her regimen, and especially if she pointed out flaws in my skin and telling me how to fix them, I'd be taken a little aback. Even if I thought it was good advice, I'd be taken aback. I just meant to admire something beautiful and to pay her a compliment, not to receive a lesson. They may be trying to bean dip you. On the other hand, if they actually ask you how you do it and you tell them, then it's annoying if they don't want to hear it. So I guess it depends on whether they're actually asking you a question or whether they just told you your skin is nice.

On a similar vein.  I have fairly clear skin (the odd spot now and again on my chin) which I'm managing to maintain after I switched from teenage face wash to slightly more expensive face wash, what drives me up the wall is I have lots of blocked pores on my nose and try as I might I can't shift them.  I've tried exfoliating, steaming, pore strips, pore reducing moisturisers and nothing, they're still there staring at me.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10492 on: January 21, 2013, 12:20:46 PM »
Hiding something on my FaceBook news feed, and having it come back when I refresh the page.  It happens from time to time, and I hate it. 

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #10493 on: January 21, 2013, 12:45:09 PM »

No, if it's just "You have such nice skin!", I say "Thank you!". More than half the time, though, the conversation then goes this way:

Them: I wish I had such nice skin, but I guess you have to be born that way.
Me: Oh, no, I used to have terrible skin.
Them: I don't believe that at all - your complexion is so nice, it's got to be good genes (or some variation of that)
Me: No, I had such bad skin that I had to learn how to take care of it - I started using natural soap and gentle exfoliation and a honey/cream mask for my dry skin.
Them: No way, your skin is so nice. I can't believe you had bad acne. I'll just never have a nice complexion.
Me: *inward sigh*

A few people who compliment me, then asked me about how I keep my skin so nice got answers and were very thankful, but most who compliment follow up with something about good skin genes, which I don't have, and don't want to hear that it required any effort on my part to have nice skin. I guess it's like the people who see someone who is very fit and sigh about how they wish they could look like that, until they hear that the fit person goes to the gym every day and eats healthy most of the time. Then suddenly it's not so interesting.

Shalamar

« Reply #10494 on: January 21, 2013, 01:17:07 PM »
I find it like walking up to a discussion at a party which you were not involved in and asking them to change the subject to something else, just to please you.

Oh, so you know my former supervisor?   :)  She literally did that very thing.  When she had her first baby, he was all she wanted to talk about.  If anyone at the coffee table had started talking about, say, "Star Trek", she'd interrupt with "SPEAKING of my son - blah blah blah".  Lord, she was obnoxious.

I ran into her a few years after both of us had left the company.  She learned that I was between jobs and said "My company is hiring!  You could come work for me again!"  I bit my tongue to keep from saying "I would rather stick forks in my eyes, thank you."

PeterM

« Reply #10495 on: January 21, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »
Hiding something on my FaceBook news feed, and having it come back when I refresh the page.  It happens from time to time, and I hate it.

Which reminds me of a computer thing I hate. If I'm on sites like this or various news/entertainment sites I tend to open a number of tabs at once rather than open one link at a time. Every site has ads, of course, and more and more of them have video commercials rather than just static ads. If I hear a commercial start playing I mute my computer, because I have no interest in listening to the commercial.

Then my computer unmutes itself. It'll usually stay muted the second time, but not always. If not, I just close down the site entirely and go somewhere else.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10496 on: January 21, 2013, 02:17:46 PM »

Which reminds me of a computer thing I hate. If I'm on sites like this or various news/entertainment sites I tend to open a number of tabs at once rather than open one link at a time. Every site has ads, of course, and more and more of them have video commercials rather than just static ads. If I hear a commercial start playing I mute my computer, because I have no interest in listening to the commercial.

Then my computer unmutes itself. It'll usually stay muted the second time, but not always. If not, I just close down the site entirely and go somewhere else.

I hate it when I have 10 tabs open, and there's an ad talking in one of them, and I can't even find which tab is talking because it's 3/4 of the way down the page or something! Aaaagggghhhhh!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #10497 on: January 21, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »

No, if it's just "You have such nice skin!", I say "Thank you!". More than half the time, though, the conversation then goes this way:

Them: I wish I had such nice skin, but I guess you have to be born that way.
Me: Oh, no, I used to have terrible skin.
Them: I don't believe that at all - your complexion is so nice, it's got to be good genes (or some variation of that)
Me: No, I had such bad skin that I had to learn how to take care of it - I started using natural soap and gentle exfoliation and a honey/cream mask for my dry skin.
Them: No way, your skin is so nice. I can't believe you had bad acne. I'll just never have a nice complexion.
Me: *inward sigh*

A few people who compliment me, then asked me about how I keep my skin so nice got answers and were very thankful, but most who compliment follow up with something about good skin genes, which I don't have, and don't want to hear that it required any effort on my part to have nice skin. I guess it's like the people who see someone who is very fit and sigh about how they wish they could look like that, until they hear that the fit person goes to the gym every day and eats healthy most of the time. Then suddenly it's not so interesting.

Is the mask homemade or commercial? Would you mind sharing the recipe if it is homemade (yes, some of us do want to know!).

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #10498 on: January 21, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »

I hate it when I have 10 tabs open, and there's an ad talking in one of them, and I can't even find which tab is talking because it's 3/4 of the way down the page or something! Aaaagggghhhhh!

Video ads, period, drive me nuts.  I've pretty much stopped bothering with The Weather Channel's website for that reason.  I just don't need to know the temperature that badly!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #10499 on: January 21, 2013, 05:39:54 PM »
I find it like walking up to a discussion at a party which you were not involved in and asking them to change the subject to something else, just to please you.

Oh, so you know my former supervisor?   :)  She literally did that very thing.  When she had her first baby, he was all she wanted to talk about.  If anyone at the coffee table had started talking about, say, "Star Trek", she'd interrupt with "SPEAKING of my son - blah blah blah".  Lord, she was obnoxious.

My coworker did that after her first child was born. But her segues into her child were masterful. Even things that were unrelated to her newborn could be used to talk about it. Sandwiches? Football? Cats with Parvo? They could all be used somehow to link the conversation to Precious.