Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1785482 times)

mmswm

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10545 on: January 24, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »
The fact that I seem to have a Klingon cloaking device secreted somewhere about my person, and I cannot find it to switch it off!

I have a big, red 4x4.  Like the one in the link, only red.

http://www.landrover.com/imagery/global/nameplate/photos_and_video/exterior/defender/2597688/05-L316_12_INDUS_90SW-850x425

It has a massive bullbar on it, spotlights, it is like a small block of flats.  When I stand next to it my head comes up around where the side mirrors are, and I had steps installed so I can get into it. 

But apparently it is invisible in traffic.  I constantly get cut off, turned in front of, etc.  The thin end the other day was the pedestrian who didn't see me - he waited till the teeny little white car in front of me (which my car towered over) went past, then stepped out in front of me.  Then he looked again, apparently the cloaking device momentarily disengaged, he saw me this time, and jumped backwards onto the curb. 

It also works when I'm on my bike, which is almost fluorescent orange.  On the bike though, I sort of assume I'm invisible anyway, so no big deal.  I am quite good at avoiding the blind drivers around me.

But it also works as a pedestrian.  Don't ask me how this works, but it does.  Crossing the street - someone coming the opposite direction will apparently see me, make eye contact, and then veer directly into my path so I have to dodge them.  It drives me bonkers!

In my house we would say that you have an "idiot magnet" installed somewhere in your vehicle.  Apparently my mother carries hers with her, because I can get along just fine in traffic when she's not with me, but for whatever reason, every time I have her in my car, I attract every moron south of the Mason-Dixon line.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10546 on: January 24, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »
People who always tell me "put your coat on" and "you'll catch cold" etc. I am always warm. I sleep year round in summer pjs, and sleep with the window open (except in summer when the a/c is cranked to meat locker temp).  SOmetimes I get chilly, but I generally run hot.

I hate being warm, and hate carrying a coat, etc. if I'm out and about. So I'll wear one, but 9 times out of 10, leave it in the car. Or wear a light jacket when most people are freezing and wearing heavy coats.

I am a 47 year old woman, NOT a child, and I do not need to be reminded to put on my coat, hat or gloves, thank you very much!  And please stop telling me I'm nuts for doing all the things I do. Its my body, so I think i'm pretty qualified to know what to do with it!

We are currently experiencing temps in single digits.  Last night, I had to run out at work a couple of times, since I stupidly left my lights on, to make sure my car woudl still start. 1. it was warm in the store and I was actually sweating. 2. I ran out for all of 30 seconds, and it felt GOOD. yet I had both co-workers and customers yell at me for doing that and not putting my coat on.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #10547 on: January 24, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »
People who always tell me "put your coat on" and "you'll catch cold" etc. I am always warm. I sleep year round in summer pjs, and sleep with the window open (except in summer when the a/c is cranked to meat locker temp).  SOmetimes I get chilly, but I generally run hot.

I hate being warm, and hate carrying a coat, etc. if I'm out and about. So I'll wear one, but 9 times out of 10, leave it in the car. Or wear a light jacket when most people are freezing and wearing heavy coats.

I am a 47 year old woman, NOT a child, and I do not need to be reminded to put on my coat, hat or gloves, thank you very much!  And please stop telling me I'm nuts for doing all the things I do. Its my body, so I think i'm pretty qualified to know what to do with it!

We are currently experiencing temps in single digits.  Last night, I had to run out at work a couple of times, since I stupidly left my lights on, to make sure my car woudl still start. 1. it was warm in the store and I was actually sweating. 2. I ran out for all of 30 seconds, and it felt GOOD. yet I had both co-workers and customers yell at me for doing that and not putting my coat on.

I'm the same way. I'm fine in a light fleece jacket unless it's below freezing. If I am only going to be outside for 30 seconds between my car and whatever building I'm entering, I usually leave my jacket in the car. I'll burn up if I'm wearing my jacket inside where it's room temperature, so it seems pointless to keep taking it on and off and hauling it around everywhere when I'm not even bothered by 30 seconds in the cold. I don't know why people (i.e. my mom) insist on giving me a hard time about it; it's not like I'm going to get frostbite in those 30 seconds with no coat when it's 45F.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

ScubaGirl

« Reply #10548 on: January 24, 2013, 04:15:34 PM »

Sis! 

The funny thing is, the person who tells me this the most is my father.  My father who lived with my mother and should understand about people who are always hot.  If you visited them in the winter you would find my mom wearing shorts and short sleeves and my father would have on socks, slipper socks, long pants, flannel shirt, and fleece vest.  :)  My mother did not own a sweater and her coat was what most people would only wear in the fall.

My husband says sleeping next to me is like sleeping next to a heater.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:44:47 PM by ScubaGirl »

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10549 on: January 24, 2013, 04:44:01 PM »
Put me down as another who sleeps with the window open, under a thin sheet, in shorts and a t-shirt, when it's 30F outside.

Shalamar

« Reply #10550 on: January 24, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »
Meanwhile, on the flipside, my 16-year-old daughter refuses to wear her jacket when it's -30 Celsius (-35 with the windchill).  That drives me up the wall!

snowdragon

« Reply #10551 on: January 24, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »
Meanwhile, on the flipside, my 16-year-old daughter refuses to wear her jacket when it's -30 Celsius (-35 with the windchill).  That drives me up the wall!
  I am like this. I have a fall jacket that I wear when it's cold enough and I always wear it open.  I are hear "why are  you not buttoned up?" or "Why don't you have long sleeves on", ect....drives me insane.

My mailman drives me nuts. The sidewalk from my property line on one side to the elderly neighbor's drive on the other is shoveled to bare cement. So where does the yahoo walk? across my lawn to the mail box and then Squeezes his butt between the front end of my car and the house rather than walking down the also shoveled drive way. I told him today to knock off and got guff from him - I see a visit to my post office in the morning, I have to by law keep the paths clear for him or not get home delivery...he can use that and not risk scratching my car because he's a jerk.

mmswm

« Reply #10552 on: January 24, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »

My 13yo son is like this.  When we lived in North Dakota, he'd try to sneak out in shorts when it was -20F.  Um. No.  Pants are required at that temperature.  I'll compromise and let you wear the fleece sweatshirt, but you must wear pants.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

snowfire

« Reply #10553 on: January 24, 2013, 06:26:59 PM »
The fact that I seem to have a Klingon cloaking device secreted somewhere about my person, and I cannot find it to switch it off!

I have a big, red 4x4.  Like the one in the link, only red. But apparently it is invisible in traffic. 

In my house we would say that you have an "idiot magnet" installed somewhere in your vehicle.
I think my friend and I have either one or both of these.  We have made two trips from Idaho to southern California to pick up horses.  We were driving her fire-engine-red Dodge dually extended cab pickup towing a white three horse trailer.  Both have enough running lights to be seen from the ISS.  It amazed both of us how often we would be cut off, tailgated, passed in no passing zones.  (Evil Snowfire wished for a laser targeted horse-pucky launching device.)

I KNOW my old Datsun had a cloaking device.  I was rear ended four times in that car and every single time the offending driver said "I didn't see you..."
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:29:07 PM by snowfire »

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #10554 on: January 24, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »
We brought in an experienced engineer to work on our project.  He's been in this field a long time, but he's new to the project and our project has a lot of established ways of doing things.  I found myself getting really annoyed with all the questions he was asking, but I couldn't figure out why, since I'm used to answering questions.   

Today I was able to figure it out.  About 75% of the time when he's asking a question, it's because he thinks he finds some big flaw in our methodology.  However, instead of saying "hey isn't this a problem because of this...", he'll ask leading questions until I finally figure out what he's really asking. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10555 on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:45 PM »
Whenever my brother and I disagreed about anything, we'd hear 'Stop fighting!' Even if it was something like what movie we liked better. This was really frustrating, it felt like we couldn't have any discussion at all.
And the flip side.  When we visited DH's parents, they would engage in what they called 'discussions'.  When the volume on a "discussion" is sufficiently loud and emphatic enough to wake the babies sleeping in an upstairs back bedroom, as far from the "discussion" as one could get and still be in the same house, *I* call that an "argument."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #10556 on: January 24, 2013, 08:58:44 PM »
Food that is not prepared in a traditional manner or the way it's portrayed/described on a menu.

Examples:
Maranara that has meat or meat broth in it.  Acceptable ingredients include tomatoes, onions, garlic and olive oil with some kind of herbs seasoning it.  I'm willing to give a a pass on extra vegetables, though that's heading towards spaghetti sauce region.

Tuna salad.  I know it can be made many ways, but if your Establishment is going way out with shredded carrots and raisins (and it is not normal to the region), your menu should reflect that.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10557 on: January 24, 2013, 09:38:16 PM »
I have breezeway duty in the mornings. Yesterday I had 2 teachers order me to put on a coat. It was the upper 60s. If I wear a coat in that type of weather, I end up with a rash/hives.

So today it isn't much colder but the fog is so heavy that the end of the breezeway is fuzzy. Because of the damp I put on a light waterproof jacket. I get at least you are wearing a jacket today. Then I get "why didn't you dry your hair before coming to work. It was dry - I just spent 30 min standing in the fog - fog is basically a cloud sitting on the ground -it is wet.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

mmswm

« Reply #10558 on: January 24, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »
My mother is driving me up a wall concerning "cold" weather. My kids and I lived in North Dakota for 4 years.  60F is not cold!  Heck, that's still shorts and t-shirt weather!  Yet my mother keeps harassing me about failing to take care of my kids and keep them safe because I refuse to make them wear heavy clothing in 60 degree weather.  Recall a few posts above where I mentioned my eldest son's propensity for wearing shorts even when it's well below freezing (when he manages to sneak out of the house that way, anyway...I force him into jeans at the same temperature I stop wearing skirts...about 25F).  I wish people would just realize that we all have different comfort zones.  Teens and adults are more than capable of determining when they're hot or cold and dressing appropriately.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10559 on: January 24, 2013, 10:07:22 PM »
I remember when we lived in California it boggled me to see kids trick or treating with parkas on when it was 60. I joke that I'm cold blooded but even with it in the 60's at most I've got a light jacket or hoodie on.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata